Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Recommened exhaust shop in MD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommened exhaust shop in MD

Want to run my TD's out the back of the car. Preferably over the axle, so Id like a good reputable shop to do this. Any recommendations? Im in Pasadena, but willing to drive for quality work. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We do it but its not cheap. We use all stainless mandrel bends. We can do it and make it look nice but it would be cheaper to have an Exh shop crush bend it. All depends on how you want it to look and how much you wanna spend.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
We do it but its not cheap. We use all stainless mandrel bends. We can do it and make it look nice but it would be cheaper to have an Exh shop crush bend it. All depends on how you want it to look and how much you wanna spend.
Ballpark figure? Ive got a formula, stock rear suspension
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Dude you live in Pasadena, right down the street from one of the best exhaust shops. Its right on the main drag Mountain Road, Mandrel Bending Solutions. Tell Kurtis Sky sent you.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Dude you live in Pasadena, right down the street from one of the best exhaust shops. Its right on the main drag Mountain Road, Mandrel Bending Solutions. Tell Kurtis Sky sent you.
I know about that place, Ive never had any work done there, nor do I know anyone who has. What has been ur experience with them?

My only experience was with them when they first opened. I wanted a custom TD system. The tech quoted me $300, when i showed up for the appt, i verified the price with the owner and was told that the estimate price was wrong and that it would be more than double that, and i was supplying cats and mufflers....So I walked out. Maybe its changed
Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by ravensfan
I know about that place, Ive never had any work done there, nor do I know anyone who has. What has been ur experience with them?

My only experience was with them when they first opened. I wanted a custom TD system. The tech quoted me $300, when i showed up for the appt, i verified the price with the owner and was told that the estimate price was wrong and that it would be more than double that, and i was supplying cats and mufflers....So I walked out. Maybe its changed
They do good work, I know both guys that do the exhaust/fab work. As far as I know its the same owner and he sometimes changes his mind on what parts cost, but hes not always there. Just go in and see what they say, should be reasonable but not as cheap as a crush bent Midas job.

To my knowledge they are one of the few places that have a mandrel bender and pretty much any size pipe in stock. They have done my cars as well as lots of people I know and the work is always great. Anything you don't like after the fact they will usually fix for free. They also do cages and custom fab work as needed.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Also look into Mandrel Bending Solutions. I have gone to them before for a couple of little things(welding in a new cat and welding in a new flexpipe). I know that most shops get their bends from them and I am pretty certain they make exhausts as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
Also look into Mandrel Bending Solutions. I have gone to them before for a couple of little things(welding in a new cat and welding in a new flexpipe). I know that most shops get their bends from them and I am pretty certain they make exhausts as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...l-exhaust.html

This is the quote I got from them.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

might seem high but you need to compair apple to apples. What metals are they using? what sized piping? mandrel or crush bent? What mufflers?

I mean a exhuast with all the righ tparts will cost more than one without.

Mandrel is OBVIOUSLY the way to go.
Stainless is obviously the easiest metal in that range
I dont know the piping size or muffler/resonator types. But cheap mufflers sound and look cheap. Godo ones cost more money

These are all general statements, but trying to make sure you see that a 500 dolalr exhaust made with aluminized steel is NOT as good or expensive as one made with Stainless.

But I dont know them for pricing but they have helepd me in the past at a reasonable cost to me.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

That quote was for mandrel and alum steel.
Stainless I think was a extra $400.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

And from reading those posts... it seems its not a bad price if they were going over the axles... Id ask em if they would work on the price at all. But it does seem a little high for non stainless.

Also in that thread I see a lot of the lower prices are crush bent piping. In this case you are paying for the quality of mandrel over crush bent piping.

Some quick reading on press vs mandrel!
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/muffler_myths.htm

And a quote from another site. Its more expensive but leads to being BETTER overall
Mandrel Bent Versus Crush Bent Piping

Another way to upgrade the exhaust piping from the catalytic converter back to the muffler is to have the exhaust piping mandrel (heat) bent instead of the conventional crush bending. As the name suggests, mandrel bends are achieved through the heating of the piping before bending whereas crush bent just literally mean that the piping is bent entirely by force. However, the main difference between mandrel bent and crush bent piping is the ease of flow. Mandrel piping keeps the pipe at a constant cross-sectional area throughout a bend which makes exhaust flow easier. On the other hand, crush bending deforms the pipe at the bend(s), which can restrict the exhaust flow. The disadvantage of mandrel bending is that it is relatively expensive, because of the costs involved in operating a mandrel bending heat machine. A popular alternative is to get piping with larger diameter and then have it crush bent. This way, it kind of evens out the differences in air flow ease, especially if that particular exhaust pipe configuration has a lot of bends and 90 degree bends.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SlowestTransAm
That quote was for mandrel and alum steel.
Stainless I think was a extra $400.
Did you get the work done yet?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I mean I wish i knew local LS1 shops. i know a few Subie shops that could fab these up. But they are primarily subaru shops.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, a few years ago when I stopped into MBS after supporting Mid-Atlantic Muffler (their previous business) for YEARS, they sent me away saying that true duals could not be done on our cars. I told them I have pictures of what I want, and could show them on the LT1 car they had on the lift at the time. Still said impossible.

So I went to Tyson at PAF - a site sponsor. He had no problem fabbing up a 3" true dual over the axle that even cleared a chassis mount torque arm. The quality of his work and attention to detail simply cannot be beat, especially by some shitty little exhaust shop in Pasadena. My brother-in-law had MBS do an exhaust on his Ram, and he lives in Pasadena. If you like, you can see his supposedly stainless exhaust rotting away and leaking at the welds after only 2 years.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Did you get the work done yet?
No not yet, still looking around.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Funny, a few years ago when I stopped into MBS after supporting Mid-Atlantic Muffler (their previous business) for YEARS, they sent me away saying that true duals could not be done on our cars. I told them I have pictures of what I want, and could show them on the LT1 car they had on the lift at the time. Still said impossible.

So I went to Tyson at PAF - a site sponsor. He had no problem fabbing up a 3" true dual over the axle that even cleared a chassis mount torque arm. The quality of his work and attention to detail simply cannot be beat, especially by some shitty little exhaust shop in Pasadena. My brother-in-law had MBS do an exhaust on his Ram, and he lives in Pasadena. If you like, you can see his supposedly stainless exhaust rotting away and leaking at the welds after only 2 years.
What did you end up paying for the setup? Quality work? No leaks or anything?
I'm only about an hour away from their shop...

I've had maybe 2-3 shops including a LS1/LT1 corvette shop in Gaithersburg tell me it was impossible. But they were also the same people who wanted to charge me 3.6k for shorty headers + installation.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a true dual over the axle 3 inch xpipe with glass pack set up off of my 2000 trans am I am trying to sell. it is not the prettiest but it sounds great and clears an m6 with a 9 inch great.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

So on a 400rwhp car, how much power can you really expect to gain from a mandrel bent system over the crush style 3 inch? I mean is 3-5hp(if thats even accurate) really worth 500+ more dollars?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlowestTransAm
What did you end up paying for the setup? Quality work? No leaks or anything?
I'm only about an hour away from their shop...
I paid less than your quote, but I supplied the J-bends and mufflers. The custom made X-pipe was included in the labor.

Quality work? 11 on a 10 point scale.
Leaks? Absolutely not. The welds are pretty

I'm only ~35-40 minutes from Gaithersburg...
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I paid less than your quote, but I supplied the J-bends and mufflers. The custom made X-pipe was included in the labor.

Quality work? 11 on a 10 point scale.
Leaks? Absolutely not. The welds are pretty

I'm only ~35-40 minutes from Gaithersburg...
Nice...Think I'll give them or a call or ride up there. Anyone in particular I should ask for?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thats weird, I live in pasadena too LOL. I have had all my exhaust work done at mandrel bend. They've done new muffler in my 93 as well as a high flow cat, and they put new mufflers in my 69 z28.

Ever seen a red 93 camaro with black stripes and c5 corvette wheels or a huggar orange with white stripes 69 z28 around?

Quick Reply: Recommened exhaust shop in MD