Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

in the air about selling my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in the air about selling my car

been looking at cts-v's lately, seriously considering selling my black 2002 ws6 m6 but dont really know what it would be worth. I know kbb is between $8-$9,000 private party and most people around here lately think these things are worth gold when selling them. only way the car would be halfway worth me selling is if it was worth $7,000+ i owe like $4,000 left and the rest would be my downpayment for the v. Is it worth $7,000 or should i just keep the car and continue cleaning it up??
The car has usual f body issues,
hood clearcoat was peeling so a friend resprayed the hood and ran the **** out of the clear, paint on car is typical, both fenders are scratched (passenger was there when i got it and driver is from a fender bender hit and run while the car was parked infront of my house ) sail panel clear just started popping, seats are dry and driver seat isnt ripped but its chaffed away like it will eventually rip, and of course i took out my trashed floor mats and by shoes wore 2 holes into the carpet and the car has 131,000miles.
only things i've done to the car is trans was recently pulled, cleaned, and replaced the stamped detents with billets(broke stock 4th gear detents)
replaced the factory high and low housings with lmc truck housings and added 8k HID's to low beams and fog lights.
last month installed brand new DRL housings, sockets, and added some LED switchbacks
car has a cutout, I replaced the sail panel subs(forget what i put in but they were highly recommended) sony headunit.
Custom shift handle(a buddy owns a fab shop and when my factory hurst leather **** ripped another friend gave me the factory shifter out of his 06' gto so the fab guy cut down my lous short stick and the top of the factory gto handle welded them up good and clean and thats what it is lol)
back and side windows tinted 5% and the side markers vht tinted black.
I also have the factory speedlines but one has a small lip bend and 3 have curb rash thanks to the previous owner, and all 4 have bad tires.

sorry about the long post but i figured you guys would need as much info as possible. to help me with a value.
Attached Thumbnails in the air about selling my car-trans-am-back.jpg   in the air about selling my car-trans-am-front.jpg   in the air about selling my car-trans-am-side.jpg   in the air about selling my car-dirty-trans-am..jpg  

Last edited by chevrunner21; 07-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

With it being the last year they made the T/A, a sought after color, and its a M6. Its worth gold imo. If I had 7k id jump on your car in a heartbeat. GL with whatever you do.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

really?? what should it be worth?? its high miles, far from perfect like i explained. If i could get enough out of the car and get this credit union across from my work to finance me than id love to buy a friend of a friends cts-v.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your in the 4-5k range for the condition
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you owe money you should not even be looking. Get it paid off. With used cars its tougher unless you have a person who can do a personal loan (parent or otherwise).
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thechef
x2... high miles and a whole lot of little condition items that add up and aren't easy fixes... IMO
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If you owe money you should not even be looking. Get it paid off. With used cars its tougher unless you have a person who can do a personal loan (parent or otherwise).
This!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thechef
thats what i was thinking too, the dealer offered me $6k trade in but they were asking more than i wanted to finance on the caddy. guess I'll just keep playing with the ta for now, thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thanks broski.

With the car back in 2006, the Girl who owned it rolled like 15-19k into the already 30k tag for the car, their payments were insane and I paid at that time 16k which as a sign of trust to pay off the loan and they mailed me the title. A total cluster as I held onto the car as collateral and paid like 10k down that if I got screwed I would have parted the car to get the $$$ back.

Long story short, no one wants to deal with cars with liens and most often need a clear title to do anything.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I cant tell how bad the condition is. Cant see it in the pics.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks broski.

With the car back in 2006, the Girl who owned it rolled like 15-19k into the already 30k tag for the car, their payments were insane and I paid at that time 16k which as a sign of trust to pay off the loan and they mailed me the title. A total cluster as I held onto the car as collateral and paid like 10k down that if I got screwed I would have parted the car to get the $$$ back.

Long story short, no one wants to deal with cars with liens and most often need a clear title to do anything.
yea, i figured id ask, my payments werent killer but i did the same thing when i bought this car just not as serious. 4yrs ago now i think i traded in an 02 auto red z28 for the trans am, owed $12k on the camaro, dealer gave me $9k than got the trans am for $14k with 89,000 miles but it actually cost me $17,000 because of the left over from the camaro. I wouldnt have even thought about selling the trans am before paying it off if a friend of a friend didnt tell me he's trying to sell a clean black on black 2006 cts-v with 60k miles for $18k lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like you 'll have enough to cover the taxes on the cts-v, if you sell the car as is with $ you owe on the loan.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
sounds like you 'll have enough to cover the taxes on the cts-v, if you sell the car as is with $ you owe on the loan.
i like your thinking!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Unless you have a clear title in hand you ain't selling **** to anyone and anyone dumb enough to buy deserves what they get. Banks wont release until their paid as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unless you have a clear title in hand you ain't selling **** to anyone and anyone dumb enough to buy deserves what they get. Banks wont release until their paid as well.
so what would they get?? the bank wont release the title until theyre paid...common sense, I wouldnt rip someone off and not pay the bank thats messed up. so what else would they get exactly? and I'd also be sure to sign something and have it notarized so theres not even a doubt that i'd screw em over. a buddy of mine just sold a maggied 04 v for $19k when that was exactly what he owed so he could get out of the payment and buy a house and he mailed the check to his bank and had the title mailed directly to the guy that bought the car, there were no problems, it was a smooth transaction.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

I have had my exp and thats why I say that.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have sold and bought before under these same conditions. These transactions can go smooth with the right paperwork in order. You also have to be a good judge of character and just use common sense.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^exactly, only way i could see things going bad is if the bank is super shitty or the person selling is a scumbag. I know enough not to let the car go to its new home until after the check clears lol and i wouldnt expect anyone to buy a vehicle under these circumstances without having some kind of written notarized document stating the whole transaction.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
^^exactly, only way i could see things going bad is if the bank is super shitty or the person selling is a scumbag. I know enough not to let the car go to its new home until after the check clears lol and i wouldnt expect anyone to buy a vehicle under these circumstances without having some kind of written notarized document stating the whole transaction.
Overall, if you have the title in hand it will sell much faster. If someone wants to come in from out of the area, they don't want to make a 2nd trip to get paperwork lined up. They want to drop the money and drive home. That's hard to do if you don't have the title in hand.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by gillbot
Overall, if you have the title in hand it will sell much faster. If someone wants to come in from out of the area, they don't want to make a 2nd trip to get paperwork lined up. They want to drop the money and drive home. That's hard to do if you don't have the title in hand.
Exactly

Title in hand and cash is king.

Quick Reply: in the air about selling my car