Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone that went to school for Engineering come in.. I know theres a few of u

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone that went to school for Engineering come in.. I know theres a few of u

Just wondering if anyone did a Coop. If so what was your experience like and your opinion of it. I've been offered one, and I did a little list of pros and cons and they even out.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

i went to RPI for "Computer & Systems Engineering"... kind of a hybridization of Electrical Engineering with a little Comp Sci mixed in.

I never did a co-op, but if you dont mind graduating a semester (or more) late, then i'd definatley say go for it. I graduated too soon after the post 9/11 world, so since i didn't have any co-ops or internships under my belt. and since i only had a 2.8gpa (which is like a B-), i was just totally undesirable and ended up going back into the IT field, which is where i had all my experience in before college.

somehow i keep getting jobs at engineering companies though... must be a sign for me to toss my resume around.

co-op would definatley be a big boost for you to get a good job when you graduate.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
CT Hotness

I would love to do one, and I know it will give me that push over my GPA (my GPA is a 3.2 now but I know I will graduate with something more around 2.8)..but the problem I'm facing right now is if I take the semester off, which would be fall semester, half the classes I planned to take fall semester are not offered in the spring semester. And the even bigger problem, the remaining courses I need to take require those fall semester courses as a pre-requisite. Therefore, I would basically be screwed for those classes.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
CT Hotness

I figure it might be worth it any way...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to binghamton university right now...watson school, my dept. doesnt require co-ops but thru highschool i worked at an engineering firm that did co-ops and all of the guys i met doing that said it was going to help them immensly. maybe you should look ahead and figure out which semester would be best to take off, one that will push you back the least, but co-op/in field experience before graduating is really helpful, i was at the firm for 3 yrs, and even though i was only a lab tech with slight certification, i have no trouble finding work even now as i am in school, good luck, PM me if you have any more questions, as i probably wont ever find this thread again
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I never did one because it was either graduate a semester late and/or do summer classes. And like you said it throws off your schedule because (at least in my case) at a small engineering school alot of the classes aren't offered both semesters.

I did do 2 summer internships though, which I enjoyed and gave me some experience to put on the resume along with some good references. They were usually a bit harder to find though than a co-op, one I got lucky and they called me 2 weeks after semester's end to come for an interview, and the other 2 of my old fraternity brothers worked for, so they got me the job. And they say frats are just for buying friends

I'm not saying don't go for the co-op though. Especially if its a company you would like to make a career with, if you impress you will almost certainly get a job offer from them when the co-op is up. Just that in my case it worked out where I managed to get the experience with internships without having to alter my class schedule.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you can manage it with the amount of homework / studying then go for it. It will look great on a resume. I personally did not. I did my BSEE then got married and ran the long uphill battle to my MS.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

If you dont know what field you want to get into, co-ops are the way to go. Especially with engineering, there are so many fields you can work in. I went to school at Wentworth in Boston for mechanical engineering, and I had two co-ops. Thank god, my first co-op was in the medical field and it sucked. My second was in the design/manufacturing field which turned out to be a very good experience.

So yeah you graduate a year later than your friends, but who cares. You will have two job related experiences under your belt and who knows, you could get hired full time by company your did your co-op with.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a BS in Mech Engineering from Northeastern. Coops are required there.
The first co-op I did sucked, I worked for GE, but I quickly learned that I didn't like working in that enviroment, so I guess it was a good learing experience.
My next co-ops were some of the best work experiences I can remember. I loved the work I did, worked with some great engineers, who I still respect very much. The project was a all composite electric vehicle, it was a lot of fun.

So, the short answer, I definetly reccomend doing co-ops, you can't go wrong with getting experience.

The other side of things is that I interview engineers too. If a graduate comes in with work experience, that we can discuss that is even kinda relvent to the job he/she is interviewing for, then its a huge advantage over a grad with no experience.
Vinny
Old 02-23-2006, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

I got my BSEE from Rutgers which does not have any coops. I would recommend focusing on finding an internship instead. If it means graduating 1 year later, you may be better graduating on time and working for a year for a smaller company for a year or two. The experience you get from working for a year at a smaller company is probably going to look better on your resume then a coop. Then your second job can closer to your ideal job.

I went for got my MSEE by taking classes at night while working. This took 3 years taking 2 classes a semester. The key with doing this is that many companies will reimburse you for the cost. This save me ~$30k.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

I got a BSME from University of Kentucky and I did do Coop! I highly recommend it! It will really help you decide what area you like/don't like and also gives you some valuable experience that can help you land a good "real" job after graduation. In your case, the decision is not that easy. With the classes set up like they are, I don't know what I would do. Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife did one, and said that she learned alot, if you can do it while in school, I'd say go for it, but to stretch the whole process out another year, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation in my eyes. I didn't do one, but didn't finish the 4 years either , mainly because I went and got a job in the field, and found that what I had was enough to get me working, and I liked making money better then paying for classes. If you are doing it for a GPA boost, isn't there other classes that you could take that would do the same? I am a firm believer taht noone is gonna really care what your GPA was, the piece of paper that says you sat at a college for 4 years is all the employer wants to see.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
I have a BS in Mech Engineering from Northeastern. Coops are required there.
Me too man. graduated in 02'. I have workd for 2 compnies while on coop -

Masoneilan and Westerbeke Corp.

As far as coops, where else can you make $20 an hour as a student
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

No kiddin, cool!
Off topic but did you get involved with the Mini Baja at all?
Vinny

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Me too man. graduated in 02'. I have workd for 2 compnies while on coop -

Masoneilan and Westerbeke Corp.

As far as coops, where else can you make $20 an hour as a student
Old 02-23-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
No kiddin, cool!
Off topic but did you get involved with the Mini Baja at all?
Vinny
Its funny, when I went for the orientation back in 97' I was like "Hell yeah I want to do that mini baja"! However I got so involved in the gym and being single that I didnt make any time for it. i would have loved to, but nope.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

I got my BSME at GMI and Co-ops were required for all students. I think the Co-ops are the best bet because it gives you real world experience and it will give you a chance to sample a couple of companies and jobs so you know what you really want to pursue. I know my Co-ops got me into a couple of interviews where the employer was looking for someone with 3-8 years of engineering experience when I had actually just graduated. Right now I am working on my MS in Engineering and my company is picking up the tab.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
CT Hotness

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My wife did one, and said that she learned alot, if you can do it while in school, I'd say go for it, but to stretch the whole process out another year, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation in my eyes. I didn't do one, but didn't finish the 4 years either , mainly because I went and got a job in the field, and found that what I had was enough to get me working, and I liked making money better then paying for classes. If you are doing it for a GPA boost, isn't there other classes that you could take that would do the same? I am a firm believer taht noone is gonna really care what your GPA was, the piece of paper that says you sat at a college for 4 years is all the employer wants to see.
its a lot different in engineering. They basically pick out all the classes you take each semester, which are all required. It's a 128 credit degree as opposed to the usual 120 credit degree. there is no room what so ever to take an easy course as a GPA booster without me graduating later, which would be pointless. GPA really does matter too when you are competing for jobs, especially with all the genious's in this field its a lot to go up against

all in all, my GPA if fine. It's not great, but its decent. I just want to stuff on my resume that is going to set me apart from most engineering applicants when I get out of school. I sort of wish UConn had a program like northeastern where coops were included because then I would be able to work it out. This company pays very well and they only hire 2 coops, so it would be killer on my resume. It would also give me an experience of a life time. Believe it or not, it seems most companies only offer Coops now as opposed to internships, for obvious reasons. I've decided I do want to do it, so I am going to talk to my advisor to see what I can do about my classes. It just sucks that all the classes I need to take next semester are not offered in the spring semester. It will be worth me graduating a semester late and it would give me a chance to maybe even do my minor. I already plan once I am done with school to work and take classes to get my MSME (hopefully the company will pay for it). Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Its funny, when I went for the orientation back in 97' I was like "Hell yeah I want to do that mini baja"! However I got so involved in the gym and being single that I didnt make any time for it. i would have loved to, but nope.
HA! You probably met me! I did the orientations and talked to 'potential students' about the baja programin 97' and 98'. I had a big stupid gotee then.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doing good in school and having a high GPA is a plus. I usually do pretty good in all my classes. One thing i have learned though from working and going to school and trying to get a job is no one really gives a damn what your GPA is. They only care about what you can do. In most cases in highly technical fields, and engineering people really want you to get some experience. The problem is how can you get experience when no one will give you a job.

Take the co-op. at least if anything else it gives you some real world experience and wont hurt to have on a resume.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonteSS
Doing good in school and having a high GPA is a plus. I usually do pretty good in all my classes. One thing i have learned though from working and going to school and trying to get a job is no one really gives a damn what your GPA is. They only care about what you can do. In most cases in highly technical fields, and engineering people really want you to get some experience. The problem is how can you get experience when no one will give you a job.

Take the co-op. at least if anything else it gives you some real world experience and wont hurt to have on a resume.

I agree. Basically going to school just shows that you paid your dues.

When I interview people (tech field), we talk about education for about 1 minute. Usually it's more like understanding their work experience and at what technical level they are at. Basically you get to know them as far as their industry knowledge is concerned and base their expertise on that.

I think most places that interview you could care less about how much schooling you've been though and are more likely going to drill you on what you know and what experiences you have had in the field. There are plenty of people out there that have a Masters in this and a Certification in that and when the **** hits the fan they don't know jack.

Definately get as much experience as you can.