Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

this rain blows

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default this rain blows

so all yesterday i was saying that we were pretty lucky at my house that the basement wasnt flooding at all, since everyones house around us was. so i get ready to go to bed last night and the rug feels a little bit wet so i open the door to the furnace room and sure enough, about 2 inches of water, and it was filling up quick. so we were up all night with a wet vac, and buckets tryin to keep the basement dry. thankfully this morning our neighbor let us borrow the pump from his pool to pump all the water out. so the house is pretty much all set.

i drive to work this morning, and i cant even drive down the driveway to the shop. theres an easy foot-foot and a half of water inside the shop. probably about 2-2 1/2feet of water in the back parking lot. thankfully my bosses went down yesterday and moved all the cars to the top of the driveway. they also delivered a few cars, to get them out of the way. an SL500, an X5, a vette and 330xi, the real expensive ones that were done, and we really didnt want to take a chance with. so now we are out of work for at least today and tomorrow, as if we werent already busy enough.

in conclusion, **** rain
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard in NH they even closed down some schools cause of the rain..
i guess no track day this friday
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADFNZ-383
so we were up all night with a wet vac, and buckets tryin to keep the basement dry.
That brings back bad memories... I spent many nights doing that same thing all night long... Last summer I finally had the entire foundation dug up. Had it resealed... and found that there were never any foundation drains in But this year has been bone dry & I sleep better at night I have a 16 gallon shop vac, last year I remember filling it & dumping it and the water was coming in faster than I could suck it up
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yea near boston and the north shore got hit alot worse it seems like. but you get a little vaca now
Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks bro. I have been sweating it all week. My basement flooded last year and I just finished it a week before.

I wake up in the middle of the night to go check it.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Launching!

i live almost on revere beach... 6+ inches of water in my basement WITH a subpump running all night
Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree... rain sux LOL. I don't have any water in my basement, but my yard LOL, is like a mud pit. They are supposed to start digging the foundation for my garage this wekk.... I think not. They are gonna definately have to let it dry out some, probably won't get done now until july at the rate it's going. Where the deck used to be at my house, the mud underneath it is bad... I pulled the posts out of the ground and the holes just filled right up with water, the ground is so wet, it's puddling up on top of the dirt everything is so saturated.... the guys that are doing the work on my house probbaly won't even be able to dig the holes to pour the concrete pillars for the new deck
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It seems like it hardly rained in my area. Everywhere else I went, the rain was coming down pretty hard. The only water I've gotten in my basement, is when I tried to fix some pipes..
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy sht when you see it on TV it seems unreal, but I was going up old Rt 3, DW hway) in Merrmack and they were evacuating people. Water is just about ready to cross the road. It's real now.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its pretty bad up in this area. the whole n.shore got hammered. they had to shut down part of rte.1, and part of rte 28 right near my shop. im sure plenty of other areas too.
i saw pictures from merrimack on tv, definitly sux.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its pretty bad, Peabody is a swamp lol. Where i am we have 3 ponds, all 3 have overflowed, and are still running out into the street and they are calling for showers tonight and rain tomorrow.

It makes trying to get around a pain in the *** cuz some many roads are closed and they're closing more all the time. I went through some stuff in my truck yesterday where the water was up to my doors but i saw alot of places under 3-4 feet if not more.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

brent i hope you dont have the vette out in this stuff
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I work in Wilmington, but I haven't seen anything too bad as of yet. Most of the people in my group live in the NH area. The whole IS area is empty. It's like no one showed up for work!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:29 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
i heard in NH they even closed down some schools cause of the rain..
i guess no track day this friday
Yeah everything around here is closed. Except our shop...

We've had 3 cars dropped off here in the last hour. We're a BMW only shop, there was a nice new mustang, and a few other cars.

All of them have oil in the water/and or don't run.

Everything is flooding around here, my buddy just headed down to lowell to help his grandmother evacuate her house.

The Nashua river is flooding. It's about 3 feet under the main bridges. Normally, this is a 20'+ drop. Rediculous. I nearly **** myself coming over the bridge to Hudson this morning.

All the lower roads, are flooded, and a lot of them closed off. It's bad around here, but it seems worse down in Mass.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
The Nashua river is flooding. It's about 3 feet under the main bridges. Normally, this is a 20'+ drop. Rediculous. I nearly **** myself coming over the bridge to Hudson this morning.

All the lower roads, are flooded, and a lot of them closed off. It's bad around here, but it seems worse down in Mass.
Somebody needs to get out and take some pics... I want to see this
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a problem with water in my basement twice, The sump pump (kind you get at Home Depot and stick in the hole) didn't get on so there was some water down there. Not to bad but enough to be a pain in the *** for an hour. Ended up having a water proofing company come out. They put two big plastic "cans" on opposite ends of the basement. Those have pumps in them that direct the water outside through PVC tubes. Each has two switches to turn it on. If the first doesn't work when the water get to one point the other will come on when it gets higher and each also has battery back-up. But... I still open the door and look in the basement once in awhile. Just want to make sure I don't see anything shiney down there!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

The town I live in (methuen) which is on the NH boarder is shut down. We had 9 1/2 inches of rain in our basement yesterday. When I left to go back to school we had it down to 1 inch. My buddy that lives with my bro and I got the next 2 day off of work bc he works construction and their job site is under water. He said that with 3 pumps going and a shop vac there is still a constant 1 1/2 - 2 inches I hate this ****. At least the truck is above the water level....... for now.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tracer X
I work in Wilmington, but I haven't seen anything too bad as of yet. Most of the people in my group live in the NH area. The whole IS area is empty. It's like no one showed up for work!
lol, all this time ive known you and i never realized u worked right in wilmington, probably like 10 minutes away
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbyrne
I had a problem with water in my basement twice, The sump pump (kind you get at Home Depot and stick in the hole) didn't get on so there was some water down there. Not to bad but enough to be a pain in the *** for an hour. Ended up having a water proofing company come out. They put two big plastic "cans" on opposite ends of the basement. Those have pumps in them that direct the water outside through PVC tubes. Each has two switches to turn it on. If the first doesn't work when the water get to one point the other will come on when it gets higher and each also has battery back-up. But... I still open the door and look in the basement once in awhile. Just want to make sure I don't see anything shiney down there!
You dint have 10 inches of rain with 3 more on the way. There is no where for the water to go.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
brent i hope you dont have the vette out in this stuff
No way!!!