Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Tampa street cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Tampa street cars?

What do you guys and girls thing is a fast street car? I'm talking a car you think you could go out around town and to the track and not worry about getting beat at every stop light on a good Saturday night?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone thinks differently. I know a couple people in the 8s and drive their cars anywhere they want. I think 9.99 or faster are great
Old 05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a strong mid to lower 10sec car and I drive it every day to work and my wife takes it to get groceries sometimes. I think low 11s and faster is a nice street car. And like stated above there is a few 8 and 9 sec car running the streets around here.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2camaros6702
Mine is a strong mid to lower 10sec car and I drive it every day to work and my wife takes it to get groceries sometimes. I think low 11s and faster is a nice street car. And like stated above there is a few 8 and 9 sec car running the streets around here.

Yeah, i forgot about your car. Its been so long.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Queen
Yeah, i forgot about your car. Its been so long.

You think your funny dont you! LOL

I think everyone has forgot about my car. That may turn out to be a good thing once I get the rear done.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

I think everyone has forgot about my car. That may turn out to be a good thing once I get the rear done.

You know I love ya Greg.. I love ya Man!!!

Now you can spray that bish again.. LET IT EAT!!!! Thats what I said yesterday...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who are you again? didnt you used to have a fast motorcycle?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

to answer the question, i see very few high 10 second cars or quicker consistently being driven beyond their house. sure there are sick cars like Queen's over there and a few freeks that trailor their stuff to an area and drive a few miles to the spot to race, but overall, i dont see much faster than high 10 second stuff.

ofcourse there are a lot of cars that "have the potential" type crap, but as for a real number/timeslip/rounds - not too many. lots of big dyno results!

i consider anything in the 10s and driven consistently and easily to be a fast street car. this post could go on for years with what people consider a fast street car.

i consider mine on the verge lol. when cars like queen's or 2camaros comes around, i hide. its why i keep my exhaust quiet. i dont want people to assume i am fast!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
to answer the question, i see very few high 10 second cars or quicker consistently being driven beyond their house. sure there are sick cars like Queen's over there and a few freeks that trailor their stuff to an area and drive a few miles to the spot to race, but overall, i dont see much faster than high 10 second stuff.

ofcourse there are a lot of cars that "have the potential" type crap, but as for a real number/timeslip/rounds - not too many. lots of big dyno results!

i consider anything in the 10s and driven consistently and easily to be a fast street car. this post could go on for years with what people consider a fast street car.

i consider mine on the verge lol. when cars like queen's or 2camaros comes around, i hide. its why i keep my exhaust quiet. i dont want people to assume i am fast!

But I wouldn't pick on you like 2camaros would..
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Id say 10's is a good street car. Mine should be a 11 and Ill be happy and beat on most other cars.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
Please, no room for modesty here! LOL. I seem to remember wishing my car ran like yours! LOL. Although I am very happy with the way my car runs with the queen's BETTER half (yes I said it. I aint scared) turning the wrenches on it I still know there are a LOT of cars faster around here.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

I think a mid 11 car is perfect. Not total wheel spin...maybe just right.

Pitt
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

When you say "street" car do you mean with amenities like stereo and A/C?

Anything getting into the 10's and beyond has to succumb to the theory of constraints-

Does it mean anything how often you have to address tranny and driveline issues?

No excuses here, power to weight is life.

Obvisouly, a "track" car see's less milage than a "street" car.

To me, in order to maintain a 10 sec or faster "street" car is interesting to say the least

Not the be all end all but, what is considered "streetable" by any means but to the average LSx er?

The pack definitely narrows....

Good thread. Florida post up.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
When you say "street" car do you mean with amenities like stereo and A/C?

Anything getting into the 10's and beyond has to succumb to the theory of constraints-

Does it mean anything how often you have to address tranny and driveline issues?

No excuses here, power to weight is life.

Obvisouly, a "track" car see's less milage than a "street" car.

To me, in order to maintain a 10 sec or faster "street" car is interesting to say the least

Not the be all end all but, what is considered "streetable" by any means but to the average LSx er?

The pack definitely narrows....

Good thread. Florida post up.

My car has everything it came with from the factor except the spare tire and jack. As in nothing has been removed or cut out, I still have A/C, full factory monsoon stereo with 12 disc cd changer in the back for a comfortable ride to and from work and the track with 10sec slips. I would consider my car a true street car in the purest form.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

My car has everything it came with from the factor except the spare tire and jack. As in nothing has been removed or cut out, I still have A/C, full factory monsoon stereo with 12 disc cd changer in the back for a comfortable ride to and from work and the track with 10sec slips. I would consider my car a true street car in the purest form.

This is true! His car is the only CAMARO that i've had the pleasure to drive that still felt stock when driving on the street.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 AM
FormerVendor

This should be a cool thread with a lot of good info.

I think that once you start talking low 11's you have a pretty fast car for sure. Of course to define street car I think Doc hits it right on the head and the only thing I will add that for it to be a legal street car it needs to pass federal emissions standards. I know we do not have testing here in FL but it is still the law.

A good example is a customer of mine and his C5 Corvette. It has a 383 with a 207/220 118 cam, 10-11 PSI of boost, 4L60E, 3.42's and a 2800 stall. With the longtubes, high flow cats and Corsa exhaust it will drive anywhere and pass emissions. The car has run 9.90's at 139 with me driving and that was driven about 250 miles round trip to the track on pump gas. It is also not loud and cruises nicely.

This car is a great example of a coupe sayings that sound similar but are very different. There is usually a big difference between a legal daily driven street car that runs 9.90's and a 9.90 drag car that you can drive on the street.

With that said there are a lot of fast street driven cars around here for sure.

Mike Norris
Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

i consider my car a street car. every other car that is faster than mine is CLEARLY a race car

;-)
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

btw just to add to a prior post, i think that there is a fine line b/w power and reliability. there are many cars that have had a 10 second time slip, but are down 90% of the time due to driveline issues. this is the crutch of a LOT of 4L60e cars. they blast down the track and can be driven everywhere due to overdrive and a lockup clutch, but many are constantly broken or cant go full out due to a bad tranny.

IMO those cars have been pushed too far. atleast i wouldnt want to put up with that stress. like others have said, maintaining a 10 second stress car can be tough. its why you rarely see street cars faster than a high 10 second combo.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I think I still have several things I can do to improve my 1/4 mile without compromising drivability, and with time and money this will happen... but currently I think I have a fairly fast street car. Maybe not fast compared to some of you guys, but there aren't too many cars on the street running 11's.

- Daily driven to and from work every day (about 25 miles a day)
- Drop off/pick up my 2 year old daughter from daycare several times a week.
- Constantly going to grocery store, running errands.
- Only thing removed is spare tire and jack.

So far my best is 11.92 @ 114.5 making 389 rwhp.

Car has 95k miles, original LS1, original 4L60E and stock 10 bolt rear.

Trans is do for its first rebuild, then it should be consistent at the track.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

for a TRUE daily driver, which i think is completely different than a "street car" then anything in the 11s is damn damn fast IMO. i dont buy into the internet hype. i base this stuff on real life. that is awesome.

honestly, i had a lot of fun when my car ran high 11s and i could literally drive it across the country with no issues.

Quick Reply: Tampa street cars?