Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer

For my race days, and also because my business moves vehicles on occasions, attends car shows and events and a nice big 24-28' moving billboard sounds like a damn good investment.

My thoughts were:

- 24'-28' should be able to handle pretty much any car
- 5000lb drop axles w/ brakes
- cabinets in front (up and down)
- side escape door
- vinyl walls/ceiling
- some kind of covering on floor (not the plain plywood)
- AC
- generator box w/ generator

Any advice? Good trailer dealers in the area? Must have features?

I have been looking in Florida and it looks like rigthtrailer.com up in Lakeland might have what I need. I am thinking new since everything used seems to be not all that much cheaper.

I am willing to travel to pick up the trailer if it is the right deal.

Any help appreciated here.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, you are better off adding the floor yourself. Lot cheaper, generator as well, mount in on the tongue of the trailer and run you lines in side. You can be sneaky and put a wench in the bottom cabinet and have it hidden out of the way but very useful.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
Seriously, you are better off adding the floor yourself. Lot cheaper, generator as well, mount in on the tongue of the trailer and run you lines in side. You can be sneaky and put a wench in the bottom cabinet and have it hidden out of the way but very useful.
What happens when my wife finds the wench???!!!!

Yes, a winch would be a very good idea. Good idea to hide it there - sounds like a plan.

Wouldn't there be a pretty good chance of theft of a generator on the outside rather than in a locked compartment?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shop around I picked up a 24x8.5 Haulmark enclosed trailer back on 07 for $5k. I opted for the base interior (plywood) and painted the walls and floor myself for approx $50 I added a few things to the trailer front and rear spot lights, Electric winch, added a solar panel to the sky light to charge the battery, added hangers for the tie downs, added custom shelves to the side door, ect.. All in all I have spent approx $500 extra to add stuff to the trailer.

Used trailers are going for the same as new ones I would just order a new one IMHO I went up to GA and did a factory delivery it saved me over $1500 over ordering it from a dealer here in Florida.

Good luck
Sean
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer7.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer8.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer-5.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer4.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer3.jpg  

Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer1.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer2.jpg   Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer-trailer-6.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here's a nice vintage off of dragcoverage.com Already has a superwinch, 4kw onan, cabinets, etc. Good enough deal for a nice trailer..... the guy who owns it is Kevin Tolliver. Good guy too.

http://forums.dragcoverage.com/showthread.php?t=82123
Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28
Shop around I picked up a 24x8.5 Haulmark enclosed trailer back on 07 for $5k. I opted for the base interior (plywood) and painted the walls and floor myself for approx $50 I added a few things to the trailer front and rear spot lights, Electric winch, added a solar panel to the sky light to charge the battery, added hangers for the tie downs, added custom shelves to the side door, ect.. All in all I have spent approx $500 extra to add stuff to the trailer.

Used trailers are going for the same as new ones I would just order a new one IMHO I went up to GA and did a factory delivery it saved me over $1500 over ordering it from a dealer here in Florida.

Good luck
Sean

I've been meaning to ask , how does the V-MAX lug it around? As you're well aware, my silly red truck is far from stock, but I still have my reservations about throwing a brick enclosed behind it- Had I kept the Dmax, I wouldn't have thought twice. I'm using a Teconsha Prodigy controller, so that's a non-issue... How has your truck done so far?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Have you seen this one?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-autom...iler-sale.html
Old 09-19-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
I've been meaning to ask , how does the V-MAX lug it around? As you're well aware, my silly red truck is far from stock, but I still have my reservations about throwing a brick enclosed behind it- Had I kept the Dmax, I wouldn't have thought twice. I'm using a Teconsha Prodigy controller, so that's a non-issue... How has your truck done so far?
Travis it pulls the trailer with no problem I am getting on average up to the Gathering 13mpg (a club members D-Max was getting 11mpg pulling his 24ft trailer) doing 70-80 all the way, takeoff is no problem she has no issues going up the hills. I am looking at getting a tune as GM has the torque mgt on these things pretty well contained.

Your SS will have no issues pulling it I was afraid adding the 20" SS wheels to my truck would hurt when I am towing but no issues at all.

Hope this helps
Sean
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Travis it pulls the trailer with no problem I am getting on average up to the Gathering 13mpg (a club members D-Max was getting 11mpg pulling his 24ft trailer) doing 70-80 all the way, takeoff is no problem she has no issues going up the hills. I am looking at getting a tune as GM has the torque mgt on these things pretty well contained.

Your SS will have no issues pulling it I was afraid adding the 20" SS wheels to my truck would hurt when I am towing but no issues at all.

Hope this helps
Sean

Hell, mine gets 11 towing as it is, but the 4.10s probably don't help matters in terms of fuel economy. The only time I miss the DMax Dually is when I strap the trailer behind- The Crew Diesel got 18~ish at 80MPH pulling. As far as your torque managment I can nuke thatfor you in a hurry. If you plan to be nearby (or even at G14) I'll fix that crap.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72VenturaII

Nice trailer. Wish it wasn't so far away - that is a haul even if we met half-way.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Hell, mine gets 11 towing as it is, but the 4.10s probably don't help matters in terms of fuel economy. The only time I miss the DMax Dually is when I strap the trailer behind- The Crew Diesel got 18~ish at 80MPH pulling. As far as your torque managment I can nuke thatfor you in a hurry. If you plan to be nearby (or even at G14) I'll fix that crap.
That could be it with the 4.10's I have the 3.73's in mine. You know me miss a Gathering hello no I might be up in PC next month for work might need to stop by with the truck

Sean
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marriard
Nice trailer. Wish it wasn't so far away - that is a haul even if we met half-way.
Yep, 8 hours from Gainesville, but straight down I-10 so its an easy drive, for the right price that is.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72VenturaII
Yep, 8 hours from Gainesville, but straight down I-10 so its an easy drive, for the right price that is.
Well it would take me about 5 hours to Gainsville.... then probably closer to 10 to Lafayette.... and then back again....

It is a nice trailer though :-)
Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

That could be it with the 4.10's I have the 3.73's in mine. You know me miss a Gathering hello no I might be up in PC next month for work might need to stop by with the truck

Sean

Not to mention full time AWD. Bring the trucky thing to PC, I'll fix that goofy TM shiz.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Teching In

I bought a new 24' last year thought I had to have the escape door but the only car off the ground high enough to us it is my 71 z28.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an Enclosed Trailer