Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

98' Trans Am power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98' Trans Am power steering

I have a question maybe someone here can help answer for me?
I have a 1998 Trans Am WS6 and inside the power steering resevoir it is a cloudy milky substance and although the level is at the cold fill line when cold it winds up spraying up on the underside of the hood. Although I have no completely drained the system I did syphon some of the fluid out and filled it with new let it run and did it about 5 or 6 times untill it looked fairly clean but it is back to the cloudy substance again. I should also point out that the steering also now has a some play in it so I am not sure if maybe the rack is just shot?
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it can be moisture or aeration

I would have a flush done and see if it comes back.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Launching!

I will try and get that done and see if that helps
thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Check and see if the car is equiped with a power steering cooler. Its in the upper radiotor hose, its a long aluminum piece, cant miss it. They cool the power steering fluid using a coil that is submerged in the coolant. Over time they tend to corrode and leak coolant into the powersteering system or vice versa. My p/s cooler fail on me, leaked coolant into the entire system. I had to replace the rack and pump.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Check and see if the car is equiped with a power steering cooler. Its in the upper radiotor hose, its a long aluminum piece, cant miss it. They cool the power steering fluid using a coil that is submerged in the coolant. Over time they tend to corrode and leak coolant into the powersteering system or vice versa. My p/s cooler fail on me, leaked coolant into the entire system. I had to replace the rack and pump.
Thanks, I will look at it tonight that could be part of the problem.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Looked under the hood this morning at this piece and under the car directly under that piece there was a small puddle. I didn't see anything dripping out of it it must only happen when the car is hot but that might be where my problem is?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You cant see when the p/s steering cooler leaks because the P/s fluid goes inside of it where the coolant is. They are seperated inside and the coolant is supposed to "cool" the power steering fluid. I would by pass the cooler and flush the fluid and see if the fluid stays clean. This is a very common problem with these cars. The p/s lines connect to the bottom of the cooler just disconnect them, cap off the nipples on the cooler, and conncet the p/s lines. I'm almost 99% sure that this is your problem.

I went one step further, I went to my parts store and got an upper radiator hose for my same car that was not equiped with the powersteering cooler and replaced the entire upper hose, used one of the two power steering lines and connected it straight to my reservoir.

I would also check your coolant and see if that has been contaminated by the p/s fluid
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Is that the line that is directly under the metal tube on the upper hose? I might be wrong but I think I only have one hose not two? I will have to check again tonight.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have the cooler it will look exactly like that picture. FLuid comes from a hose on the rack into the cooler then out of the cooler via the second hose and back to the p/s fluid reservoir.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Launching!

So I can just mate the two coolant hoses coming off the top hose? Are there any issues with power steering after getting rid of the cooler???

Last edited by bigken; 08-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigken
So I can just mate the two coolant hoses coming off the top hose? Are there any issues with power steering after getting rid of the cooler???
?

You can either leave the cooler in its place and just bypass the p/s lines so it goes straight to the reservoir or you can replace the upper radiator hose with a single hose for a 98-02 fbody without the power steering cooler and bypass the p/s lines. Search on here, this is a very common problem. This was an option on these cars so not all f-bodys had it and you shouldnt run into problems without the cooler in place. Hopefully there hasnt been a lot of damage done to the pump or rack due to the coolant in the system. I've had mine off for over a year now and everything is fine. If you were doing a lot of autocross or something you might want to replace the cooler but i'm pretty sure its about $140.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

?

You can either leave the cooler in its place and just bypass the p/s lines so it goes straight to the reservoir or you can replace the upper radiator hose with a single hose for a 98-02 fbody without the power steering cooler and bypass the p/s lines. Search on here, this is a very common problem. This was an option on these cars so not all f-bodys had it and you shouldnt run into problems without the cooler in place. Hopefully there hasnt been a lot of damage done to the pump or rack due to the coolant in the system. I've had mine off for over a year now and everything is fine. If you were doing a lot of autocross or something you might want to replace the cooler but i'm pretty sure its about $140.
Thanks for all your help bro! I bought a nose for a non cooler equiped car and some new coolant. Going to just go your route and bypass the lines and replace the hose and flush the coolant then bring it to have the PS flushed.
Hopefully that takes care of my problem.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigken
Thanks for all your help bro! I bought a nose for a non cooler equiped car and some new coolant. Going to just go your route and bypass the lines and replace the hose and flush the coolant then bring it to have the PS flushed.
Hopefully that takes care of my problem.
No problem man. I went through the same thing, it was quite a learning experience. Hopefully she'll be good to go and you wont have to replace the Pump and or rack like I had to .

Post up and let us know how it worked out.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Will do bro thanks, hopefully I will get to it this weekend so that I can have the system flushed.
Taking it to the track at Bradenton on August 15th for runday Sunday so I don't want to run into any issues with it lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I just ran in to this problem and will do as Mart00SS did. I dont have $140 to buy an new ps cooler and possible have this happen ago in the future.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Got everything all replaced, even though it would have been alot cheeper to plug up the old one I wound up just replacing the cooler because I got it very cheap with shipping from Scoggin Dickey. I replaced that and the top hose and drained the coolant. I am going to get the power steering flushed this weekend but MART02SS that is definetly what the problem was. When I took the ps cooler off all this creamy liquid ( the same stuff sitting in my ps pump ) came out of it so thanks for your help with this. I don't know if having the system flushed is going to get rid of the play I have in the steering wheel so I might need a new rack but it isnt so bad and it is not a dd so I can live with it for now.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to be of service, also good to hear you got it sorted out. How much was the cooler from SD?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Launching!

I only paid $113 with the shipping from them, they price matched a price I got off an online site.

Quick Reply: 98' Trans Am power steering