cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gainesville

Who, what, where, when, and how?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live about 30 or so from Gainesville. I work at the Autozone on E. Univeristy. All the car related stuff I do is in Jax. except I run at Gainesville Raceway as much as I can. I don't drive the car there much, don't like crack heads and morons around my car.

Names Steven hit me up sometime.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Best seven years of my life; I hope to get up there for a few games this year.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

lets plan out a "drag" meet at the raceway
Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by s25hanh
lets plan out a "drag" meet at the raceway
Rock on man....

Thanks for the responses, just reaching out to the Gville LS1 crowd. I daily drive my '98 SS mainly around the Jonesville/Town of Tioga area to Santa Fe College and the Oaks mall area.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cpo
Rock on man....

Thanks for the responses, just reaching out to the Gville LS1 crowd. I daily drive my '98 SS mainly around the Jonesville/Town of Tioga area to Santa Fe College and the Oaks mall area.
I'm not even in Gainesville. Its about an hour 1/2 away from me. It would definitely be worth it if we all gathered for a drag meet.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

do it sometime during the football season and i'm a season ticket holder and will bring the TA up there....Go Gators!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prowl the streets at night mostly since I go to school and work in the afternoon until 10:30pm. Car getting new cam and some other goodies as I speak tuning her this weekend! Let me know if you guys trying to get something together worth doing the car meet seen here is mostly imports Need more LS cars to step out.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000Phoenix
I prowl the streets at night mostly since I go to school and work in the afternoon until 10:30pm. Car getting new cam and some other goodies as I speak tuning her this weekend! Let me know if you guys trying to get something together worth doing the car meet seen here is mostly imports Need more LS cars to step out.
Where are you getting your cam installed? If you are installing it yourself, I'd be willing to help you. Either way I would like to meet soon and talk about LS1 stuff.

I'll PM you my cell number if you want to talk about it over the phone.
John
Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice to see a "new" fbody up in Gville. I'm down at my garage here in Ocala working on my new engine a lot here lately, let me know if you ever wanna head down and check it out. We tried doing an Ocala meet up again but no one was really showing up and I've gotten busy again.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Nice to see a "new" fbody up in Gville. I'm down at my garage here in Ocala working on my new engine a lot here lately, let me know if you ever wanna head down and check it out. We tried doing an Ocala meet up again but no one was really showing up and I've gotten busy again.
Hell yeah, I'd love to come down and lend a hand. I eventually want to do my own cam install and wouldn't mind giving some free labor in exchange for hands-on knowledge. I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number. I'm busy this weekend, but am normally free everyone weekend.
John
Old 07-16-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

I'm down to learn and lend a hand and learn more as well
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
7 Second Club

I've lived in Gainesville since moving up for college back in '94. Car scene was good up until about 5-6 years ago, then the lack of people using muscle cars/sports cars for DD became apparent.

I work in Ocala so I'm saddled with a 4-cyl for gas mileage But on the bright side it saves a little money so I can go racing!

I'm at Gainesville Raceway most Saturdays with my '70 Nova, but I have a '00 Firebird Formula that my wife drives every now and then (since we have a 1-year old). Any ?s on racing let me know!

Derek
Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I'm at Gainesville Raceway most Saturdays with my '70 Nova, but I have a '00 Firebird Formula that my wife drives every now and then (since we have a 1-year old). Any ?s on racing let me know! Derek
It's pretty pathetic that I have lived in Gainesville for almost 3 years and have yet to visit Gainesville Raceway. What is going on there on Friday and Saturday nights? I'd like to out there and just watch my first couple of visits, and then run a couple of 1/4 mile passes. With the mods in my sig, what do you think my trap and mph would be?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Guy name Dave put the cam in over at Dan's mobile in archer. Been building the car with these guys since the beginning. Good guys reasonable prices. Been getting most of parts through some of the stores on here ws6 store, eBay, ECT.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
7 Second Club

Gainesville raceway doesn't run on Fridays (tried it a few years back but not a lot of participating), so Wednesday and Saturday are the days the track is open. Check out www.gainesvilleraceway.com for a schedule. Saturdays are usually bracket or index racing, but they do have test and tunes on Saturdays during the year. Wednesdays are always test and tunes.

Derek
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

cpo I wouldn't worry about watching at first, the very first pass you will ever make is kind of nerve wracking as hell, but its all good after that. I still remember my first trip to a track, took me probably 30 seconds of inching up to trip the lights as I didn't want to go too far but had no general idea even where they were.

I've yet to run at Gainesville myself, been to Bradenton once to run and twice to watch nostalgia drags and NMCA, usually run out at OSW, I've been out there about five times. Went to Sunshine for the first time I had ever gone to a track, learned real quick that street tires suck at the track.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

i live in starke but i goto the track to watch almost every week. lately the track has been dead.. i've meet skat and i seen black00ssFL's camaro when it messed up on the track. i know a few guys from the FCDP (they have the orange diesal ranger, used to be primer gray).

i went to a car meet in gville last weekend by chili's i think. it was mostly imports. only 3 stangs.

i daily driver a silver 04 cobra with black/polishedLip rims and matte black racing stripes, stripes were added recently. some ppl remember my car from having a huge cowl hood on it last year but i went back to my stock hood.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
Best seven years of my life; I hope to get up there for a few games this year.
Same here. I'll probably be down for 3 or 4 games this season. I am still a little salty I missed Gator Nationals (and the Car Show) this year.

I had a great five years there, I graduated in '09 and now live in Tallahassee working for the State.

Originally Posted by cpo
It's pretty pathetic that I have lived in Gainesville for almost 3 years and have yet to visit Gainesville Raceway. What is going on there on Friday and Saturday nights? I'd like to out there and just watch my first couple of visits, and then run a couple of 1/4 mile passes. With the mods in my sig, what do you think my trap and mph would be?
Go out to a test and tune and get your feet wet. You might as well wait until October when it cools off, but it will be significantly more busy. Talk to some locals, they'll walk you through it. Villain281H is a great guy, and is a great resource for information regarding track use, safety and bracket racing.

I still have family in Gainesville, so I come down somewhat often. I sold my '94Z28 back in 2008, and drive a 2005 WRX tuned on e85, but I still keep in touch with the Lightning Fellas around town when I can. The car meets aren't anywhere what they used to be. However, the only "automotive" meet I know of in town is still at the Ale House on Archer Road on Thursday nights. It is a small core group of elitists and a large flock of idiots, but it is something automotive during the week.

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I'm at Gainesville Raceway most Saturdays with my '70 Nova, but I have a '00 Firebird Formula that my wife drives every now and then (since we have a 1-year old). Any ?s on racing let me know!
Holy crap Derek! Congrats man!

Last edited by WhyHelloOfficer; 07-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
The car meets aren't anywhere what they used to be. However, the only "automotive" meet I know of in town is still at the Ale House on Archer Road on Thursday nights. It is a small core group of elitists and a large flock of idiots, but it is something automotive during the week.
Thanks for the input. I'll have to remember to check out the Ale House one of these next Thursday nights.