Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Hey JAX guys!!! Looking for some engine diagnostic help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Red face Hey JAX guys!!! Looking for some engine diagnostic help

Hey there guys!

Sorry I've been MIA lately, but since the death of my dad and then my mom having a stroke a few weeks later because all of the stress and since I am the closest and only have school to deal with, it's all been on me to take care of my mom and everything with the lawyers and estate and it got too much.

Sadly we had to put my mom in a home until she gets better. She is under a lot of rehab, physical and mental, and is starting to regain some use back in her arm and her vision is starting to get better, but she is not very lucid at times so she needs someone to watch her. I have a home nurse now, but the Doctor feels that she need more attention so we decided that a home will be the best for her till she gets better.

This has stressed me to the point of my own nervous break down and that's no joke. I have been MIA from everything since my dad died and I'm about to lose it. I just started freaking out the other day, when I was by myself, for no reason. I've missed last semester of school and now I am wondering if I will miss this one because I'm mentally fried.

Anyways... sorry about my rant, I know these are not your problems and you all have your own to deal with so last thing you guys need is to hear me crying like a little girl, but I just had to vent.

Well the reason I posted this is to see if someone would be willing to help me figure out what the deal is with my LS1. I've sold off just about all my parts for my 450 stroker to help pay my dad's hospital and funeral bills so the 450 right now is a pipe dream so I need to figure out what is wrong with my LS1.

I think getting my mind back on something I love to do will help me deal a little better, like some kind of release or escape from all this, if not for a little while at a time.

If any of you guys can help me out, I would appreciate it. I don't have much cash anymore, but I would buy you lunch or something to show my thanks and to reimburse you the best I can.

Thanks guys

Last edited by RONIN LSX; 03-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it would be more helpful if you stated where your located, and what's the car doing or not doing which will help you get some questions answered to the issues.

Also, you should seek help about your depression so you dont die.

Phil
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 AM
FormerVendor

No one thinks you're crying like a girl - that's nonsense.

If you do not talk to someone on a regular basis about the feelings you are going through regarding your mother and father, then it will become overwhelming.

We have all lost family members - it sucks. Please feel free to "rant" on here when you need to - it will help!

Regarding the car, like Phil said, more info and we will try to help.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do'h!

Sorry about that guys..

I'm in JAX, the car is off Blanding Blvd, west of 295 at my buddy's Body shop.

As for the issue, it sounds like it spun a bearing, but I was also told that it sounds like a top end issue - maybe a lifter or valve drop. When primed and ready, the car will start right up and sounds real strong, except for the banging hammer sound, lol. Outside of that, oh and the blown A4 (would not go into 3rd all the time) the car was a BEAST (for an 98 LS1) before it took a ****. I'm thinking that because I drove it around with only 2 gears, lol -- I know... I know.... that a bearing just gave out.

That's really it for the most part.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
it would be more helpful if you stated where your located, and what's the car doing or not doing which will help you get some questions answered to the issues.

Also, you should seek help about your depression so you dont die.

Phil
Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
No one thinks you're crying like a girl - that's nonsense.

If you do not talk to someone on a regular basis about the feelings you are going through regarding your mother and father, then it will become overwhelming.

We have all lost family members - it sucks. Please feel free to "rant" on here when you need to - it will help!

Regarding the car, like Phil said, more info and we will try to help.

Thanks guys! I'm not the kind of person who likes to cry about things. I've always been the one that fixes problems, no have them so I just keep everything to myself. People have enough to deal with in their own world, they don't need to be bothered with mine so I just deal I guess...

Thanks again

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyway you can make a video for us to listen to to help you more?? Kinda hard to help with a knock without being able to hear the engine itself

And like other have said, vent all you want, we are here to help not judge
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Is there anyway you can make a video for us to listen to to help you more?? Kinda hard to help with a knock without being able to hear the engine itself

And like other have said, vent all you want, we are here to help not judge
Thanks for the kind words Blackbird

I will see if I can get a video of it. I think my buddy started taking parts off so we could get it ready to pull it so that he could paint the bay, but I'm not sure how far he got.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Thanks for the kind words Blackbird

I will see if I can get a video of it. I think my buddy started taking parts off so we could get it ready to pull it so that he could paint the bay, but I'm not sure how far he got.
Well if you are pulling the engine might as well break it down some and see what the problem is, maybe throw a new set of bearing in it and rebuild the top half, kinda like a budget rebuild
Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

Hammer huh...sounds like something bad. I have heard hammer sounds from the top and bottom end. Do the basics first. It is easy enough to pull the valve covers and do a visual on the springs, PRs and rockers. Is all checks out, then you can rule anything out there.

If you have a deep knock coming from bottom end, a spun bearing or broken rod may be the culprit.

Erik@Lashway
Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
Hammer huh...sounds like something bad. I have heard hammer sounds from the top and bottom end. Do the basics first. It is easy enough to pull the valve covers and do a visual on the springs, PRs and rockers. Is all checks out, then you can rule anything out there.

If you have a deep knock coming from bottom end, a spun bearing or broken rod may be the culprit.

Erik@Lashway
the funny thing is you don't hear it till you rev the engine, then it gradually gets louder. I can't tell if it's top or bottom with my untrained ear.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Well if you are pulling the engine might as well break it down some and see what the problem is, maybe throw a new set of bearing in it and rebuild the top half, kinda like a budget rebuild
If it turns out too be bad, I'll just toss in a 5.3 since money is tight. At least I will be able to put the top down and drive her again.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

If it turns out too be bad, I'll just toss in a 5.3 since money is tight. At least I will be able to put the top down and drive her again.
Not sure on the motor issue but a few of us are meeting Sat night on the westside of jax. If your interested post or pm me. Figured it may be good to get out of the house for you and destress a little from everything. Lost my dad and both my wifes parents so know a little bit of what your going through. Theres some really good people on the forum if your able to get a video of the problem they definitely may be able to help you
Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver04goat
Not sure on the motor issue but a few of us are meeting Sat night on the westside of jax. If your interested post or pm me. Figured it may be good to get out of the house for you and destress a little from everything. Lost my dad and both my wifes parents so know a little bit of what your going through. Theres some really good people on the forum if your able to get a video of the problem they definitely may be able to help you
Thanks for the invite Bro, I saw the thread just a little while ago so I might be up for that!

Yeah I've hung with the guy at Sonics and know a few personally; I just haven't been up to much lately and have been MIA.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Hope you get the engine figured out soon Wish I was closer I hate mystery noises.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wikked00Hawk516
Hope you get the engine figured out soon Wish I was closer I hate mystery noises.
Thanks my friend. I just hope it's not too bad, but with the way my luck has been, I'm sure it's a box of shrapnel.

And sorry again about the rear. I'm still not over feeling like an *** about that.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks my friend. I just hope it's not too bad, but with the way my luck has been, I'm sure it's a box of shrapnel.

And sorry again about the rear. I'm still not over feeling like an *** about that.
LOL I can relate to that big time.

It happens you've had a ton of pressure in your personal life I'm not angry about it. I'm a realist
Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it sound like a cricket by chance or is it a definite knock?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Does it sound like a cricket by chance or is it a definite knock?
Yeah, when you give it gas, it start to knock. Funny thing is when it's just idling, it doesn't knock.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, when you give it gas, it start to knock. Funny thing is when it's just idling, it doesn't knock.
If it knocks then there is most likely internal problems. If it was just the cricket sound, then it's an exhaust leak at exhaust manifold gasket.

Quick Reply: Hey JAX guys!!! Looking for some engine diagnostic help