Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Autox, road racing, anything but drags in NW florida?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autox, road racing, anything but drags in NW florida?

I'm tired of drag racing. I wanna do twisties. How do I get involved in something like that in the NW florida area? I used to do SCCA solo II, I would like to get back into that, but pensacola doesn't have a club.

Does anyone here autox? Would anyone here be willing to "mentor" me at an event and show me the ropes of the local events?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm dont know about any out there on the handle right of hand.... theres alot of guys in central florida who can and do though
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Apparently Orlando is huge on it, but thats like 9 hours from pensacola.

I guess it's big in gainesville too. There is a guy that comes to this section from gainesville who has an autox built red trans am. I want him to chime in and give me the 411. I'll prolly have to venture to alabama or mississippi to find some SCCA action.

If nothing else, I could aquire some traffic cones and go out to the abandoned airfield.

Thats prolly been tried and stifled by a hundred guys before me though.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

ahhh bird yea hes into that....or he at least tries ....but theres gotta be some back roads out there...go check some out...just know if you get a fhp officer posted up one day, youll be able to really autox for one time only
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by staringback05
ahhh bird yea hes into that....or he at least tries ....but theres gotta be some back roads out there...go check some out...just know if you get a fhp officer posted up one day, youll be able to really autox for one time only
I've spent plenty of time on the wrong side of the law. At one point, my car insurance was 1/3 of each paycheck. I don't want to go back to that **** again.

There is an abandoned airport in town. My squadron setup a paintball training exercise there a couple weeks ago. There were plenty of skid marks around. I don't know if it's military property or not though. If it is, it's NEVER patrolled.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

well now im on the other side of the law....and my car insurance still rheems me that doesnt sound like a bad idea....we had one here where we could race and it was actually legal, until they tore it up a couple years back....just look for signs...cant really be held accountable if there is nothing posted....worst anyone S.O will tell u, is to just leave.....

if your really interested though, you should make a weekend trip to gville...catch a gator game, meet up with some of the guys and take it the track....its a great way to blow a weekend....i mean really cars, gator football, 20k hot *** college girls, and beer.....why if there was anything else id be illegal
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

I really don't know of anything up there in pensacola! I know a lot of people from tally that travel to gainesville or orlando to autox! Central Florida to the Tampa area is the best for it. South Florida sucked, never had any kind of events a college student could afford.....their were groups that would charge like $100 per event, all you would see out there tho were porsches, lambos, ferraris and ****, cool to watch, not fun because you aren't driving lol.

But, I know there is a lot of Autoxing that happens in Bama. Let me try and find some links for you of organizations that run there. I haven't been in an AutoX in a while just because of school and lack of $ and recently becoming an uncle I had to miss the AutoX in g-ville this weekend!
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
I really don't know of anything up there in pensacola! I know a lot of people from tally that travel to gainesville or orlando to autox! Central Florida to the Tampa area is the best for it. South Florida sucked, never had any kind of events a college student could afford.....their were groups that would charge like $100 per event, all you would see out there tho were porsches, lambos, ferraris and ****, cool to watch, not fun because you aren't driving lol.

But, I know there is a lot of Autoxing that happens in Bama. Let me try and find some links for you of organizations that run there. I haven't been in an AutoX in a while just because of school and lack of $ and recently becoming an uncle I had to miss the AutoX in g-ville this weekend!
I noticed that there were lotsa events in alabama, but they never update thier damn websites!! It's hard to tell if the ***** still going on or not.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said should take a trip just to see what its like in central florida one weekend...
Old 10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

Have you checked out Sebring? Road Atlanta?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

sebring thats like a million hours away from pensacola. i miss living there tho. track was right down the street from my house! Before Don Panoz took over the lease, they used the front stretch for a drag strip! My dad said it was the coolest/wierdest thing dragging down a concrete quarter mile! Which is what the AutoX course there is too, it is one of the funnest venues, it's just a pain in the *** to get down there.

Try to get in contact with some of the Alabama folk that run the websites!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

how do you get tired of drag racing? wtf? lol
Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
I got tired of going to the track and waiting 1 or 2 hours in between 12 seconds of racing. I love drag racing, but the tracks I went to were just way too overpopulated in test n tune nights, so I haven't been back in over a year.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
-2 hours of waiting in staging lanes for 12 seconds of fun
-engine parts break too much
-driver input is important for 1.5-2.2(I'm 2.2) seconds, then the car does all the work
-rain terminates an event
-ethanol exhaust fumes give me a headache
-drag cars are no fun to drive on the street, and I can't afford to have 2 purpose built cars.
-and the #1 reason I'm tired of drag racing...... After 3 years of trying to figure out how to launch hard:

I STILL ******* SUCK AT IT!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

good reasons
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

drag racing has never been fun to me. Not in a high 10 second chevelle and not in a 13 second trans am! and everything he said, except the launching part!

check out this site theautocrossforum.com they might be able to help you out there.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
drag racing has never been fun to me. Not in a high 10 second chevelle and not in a 13 second trans am! and everything he said, except the launching part!

check out this site theautocrossforum.com they might be able to help you out there.
cool, thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Based in Tallahassee there is http://www.dixiescca.com/ . They run in Bainbridge, GA and North of Valdosta, GA (Cecil). I've run the bainbridge track and due to the surface being like 1 grit sandpaper I'd haven't gone back. Cecil is a quartermile track that lets them run in the parking lot. Nice pavement. want to go but work has owned me all year.

Your best bet is probably the http://www.sccawiregrass.org/welcome.htm . They run at an helicopter airfield in Dothan AL and . probably under 3 hours for you to get there. The track is usually pretty slick but lots of fun and a decent length.

Usually the turnout is 20 or so cars so expect to get 6 runs a day at either. And when you go drop me a PM. maybe I can get the time to meet up....

Quick Reply: Autox, road racing, anything but drags in NW florida?