Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Foundation or Power House first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foundation or Power House first?

So I've had my 02 ws6 M6 for about a year now. I bought it with 42k miles and haven't found that dare to be fast moment since then, not to mention the disapproval from the misses. I am in the military and currently deployed. I just re-enlisted for a lump sum bonus and orders to Germany. My wife and I will be divorcing when I return home. So as I am sure you can see, now I have free reign to do as I please again.

With that being said, I started looking around the forums to get details and figure out how I would like to go about increasing my cars performance. I was trying to decide between the STS rear mount, or APS stealth TT systems. After reading around I've decided to go with APS. I want to buy a nice starter now, that I can eventually beef up more once I get more knowledge on FI and have the money. The problem I have though is whether or not to buy the turbo and necessary accessories first or buy the items required to actually putting that power to the ground along with keeping my cars components safe from the increased stress. I could do both now but I would rather roll half my money from the deployment and my bonus into my savings and investments.

My goal is to eventually have 500+ hp/tq mostly for street and some drag on the side. I also would like to keep the stock look and drivability of the car. After the divorce it will be my only car, although, I do plan on buying a second get around car once I arrive to Germany. I look forward to your responses. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would upgrade all your other components first before u add the turbo.Thats how i did it and i never had to replace something because it was broke from all the added stress.I know its not as fun as having the extra power from the turbo but in the long run i thought it was cheaper to not have to replace broken parts while i was saving for more parts
Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Build from the rear forward and you will have far less issues. You will also be able to use all of the HP when you do get to the turbo and engine.

This is the do it onece and be done approach. Always go overkill for what you want. Most of us end up with more HP than we wanted when we started.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on your driving habits. If its mainly a street car, then I think you could put the APS on your stock engine and limit it to around 450-500 rwhp (7-8 psi) and with a good fuel system and clutch it could last for a decent amount of time. If your planning on putting a sticky tire on the car and going to the track then id agree and get a 12 bolt or 9 inch rear first, then build your tranny, then work your way up to the aps kit.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with building the foundation first, I broke stuff with far less HP than your shooting for and you don't need sticky tires to do it. You also don't want to get sideways when you punch it going 70 mph (well is kinda fun) on the freeway, so stickies would be a must anyway. Nothing worse than having a broken car on the autobahn and no quick way to fix it. One thing for sure, you will have something over there not many will have and a turbo will be a blast on the autobahn.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Nothing worse than having a broken car on the autobahn and no quick way to fix it. One thing for sure, you will have something over there not many will have and a turbo will be a blast on the autobahn.
My thoughts exactly.. Well, thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I will be getting the turbo after prepping the car first. This will be my first project so hopefully all goes well, although I'm sure it won't. Luckily theres always LS1tech and
Old 10-24-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm building my car up first to handle the HP, then I'm tearing into the motor. I ordered some Bogarts, I'm about to order a Midwest fabbed 9" to replace the 10 bolt, the trans is coming out next...and then I'm building the motor. Hell, build up the car first, and put on some nitrous to hold you over while you build up the motor.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how much money have to start with. I agree with building the car to handle the power first, but to be honest, you need an exact end goal in mind when you start.

If you know you want to go built motor/turbo route, then start from the back and work forward. You may get to a point though, that wht you need to buy for the car now, may not be what the car will need in the end. In that case, just wait and sit on the money. or you can just always keep your eye out for good deals. if a great deal on a turbo kit comes up, buy it first and sit on it until you can build the rest of the car..
Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 AM

I agree building from the rear forward, much less issues
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

i agree with 98z28mass as for me i also was deployed when i was confronted with the desicion on which FI to use.. but i did go with the APS twins, the APS fuel system bigger injectors as well as a new transmission.. depending what tranny u run manual or auto.. the auto will puke out with less than a month of 500ish HP. i am leaving my rearend alone for now cuz well i wont be doing launches or hard freeway pulls.. i didnt get the turbos to race ppl and either wreck or lose my license. i got it cuz i like the sound and feel of turbos. so search deep into urself and decide whether you know if you have 500 ur gonna use it as much as possible.. or if ur gonna use it when needed!!! if ur gonna run b@ll$ to the walls with it then built up is the way you wanna and will need to go if you wanna stay on the road longer than a week but if your gonna use it for a joy ride and not put lots of miles on it just do what you want but understand the limitations of your components.

Quick Reply: Foundation or Power House first?