Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Package Turbo kit for LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Package Turbo kit for LS1?

Rather than ask the boring question "Which is best......." I've got one thats a little different.

Its easy to find ready made twin turbo kits for all of the f-body cars. There's a blue billion of them.

Anyone know of a reputable (good quality) twin turbo kit I can add to my LS1 in a street rod application....with option to have my ecu programmed. At this time I'm not interested in changing anything internal.....hoping for something between 500 and 600 hp max. What I mean by not changing internals...rotating assembly. I dont mind changing cam/valve springs...etc. I just dont want to get in too deep until I learn more about fuel injection. Concidering buying EFI or HP software too.

Also...I know that most universal applications....are not universal. I'm prepared to do my own fabricating (piping).

Anyone come to mind that you really trust?

Thanks,
36 Chevrolet Low Cab (engine bay about the same size as a Ford Deuce)
Dave G
Old 11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I eventually plan to go that route, too. I doubt very seriously there's any sort of "kit" but you should be able to work it out based on the ones in F-bodies already. Your turbo and intercooler will probably be in different locations from the F-bodies but the system still works the same way.

What is it about '36 Chevrolets that make's us wanna turbo 'em anyway?

I know what makes me want it. I've had two Buick GNs! Once you go turbo, you never want NA again.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
I eventually plan to go that route, too. I doubt very seriously there's any sort of "kit" but you should be able to work it out based on the ones in F-bodies already. Your turbo and intercooler will probably be in different locations from the F-bodies but the system still works the same way.

What is it about '36 Chevrolets that make's us wanna turbo 'em anyway?

I know what makes me want it. I've had two Buick GNs! Once you go turbo, you never want NA again.
LOL's. We have two things in common then. I had an 87 Grand Nat and loved her. I know what you mean about turbo charging. I want to do the forced induction thing and love the sound of a big 8-71. But dont want it sticking out of the hood in my face all day....and dont feel its as effecient. But I've been doing a lot of reading in here today....and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with all the problems guys are having with 'tuner' kits versus a near ready package. I'm still digging though.

I've already had to recess the firewall 3" and if I go s/c'er I'll have to cut it way back.

Link to my build. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...22&action=view

Bet you're having fun with the exhaust? Keep me updated on your progress.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-02-2008, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any universal setups for twins. If you contact modularturbo he could probably set you up with enough stuff to fab up your own twin setup
Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Flipped truck headers! If you plan on doing your own piping you shouldn't buy a kit, waste of money that way IMO.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all the DIY stuff if anybody needs anything.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stovebolter
Rather than ask the boring question "Which is best......." I've got one thats a little different.

Its easy to find ready made twin turbo kits for all of the f-body cars. There's a blue billion of them.

Anyone know of a reputable (good quality) twin turbo kit I can add to my LS1 in a street rod application....with option to have my ecu programmed. At this time I'm not interested in changing anything internal.....hoping for something between 500 and 600 hp max. What I mean by not changing internals...rotating assembly. I dont mind changing cam/valve springs...etc. I just dont want to get in too deep until I learn more about fuel injection. Concidering buying EFI or HP software too.

Also...I know that most universal applications....are not universal. I'm prepared to do my own fabricating (piping).

Anyone come to mind that you really trust?

Thanks,
36 Chevrolet Low Cab (engine bay about the same size as a Ford Deuce)
Dave G
i would go with the shop that built mine.
great guy and good pricing,
Old 11-29-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I am working on a setup like this right now....not quite done, but based off the common C6 vette manifolds.....this is the area Im am wanting to get into more. I like working with the street rod guys.....fun to help someone out that is trying to make something different that stands out at a show.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck I even used to have a 36 truck.......I plan on doing a 30-31 Model A with twins hanging out right where the headlights belong eventually

my driveway last summer.....

Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks,
Dave
I'm not that far along yet. Had a question, though... Did you fab your X-member yourself or buy one? I don't have a tubing bender so, at this point, I'm planning to build my own out of 1 X 1.5" rect. tubing.

Also, is that a stock frame that's been boxed? My sedan has the old "top hat" style frame but I'm gonna replate the entire bottom side for strength.

I'm probably gonna use this crossmember/mount setup from CPP..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...2425QQtcZphoto

I really need to get to work!!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a reputable good company complete kit type deal i would go APS.
Lots of happy aps customers on this site.

Chris
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
I'm not that far along yet. Had a question, though... Did you fab your X-member yourself or buy one? I don't have a tubing bender so, at this point, I'm planning to build my own out of 1 X 1.5" rect. tubing.

Also, is that a stock frame that's been boxed? My sedan has the old "top hat" style frame but I'm gonna replate the entire bottom side for strength.

I'm probably gonna use this crossmember/mount setup from CPP..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...2425QQtcZphoto

I really need to get to work!!

Sorry for such a delay. Been working on the truck more....versus being on the i-net.

I went with Mustang II variation built by Street Rod Engineering. They build each one to your spec as far as where you want to place it on the frame. Lots of measuring but gives you the ability to push those fronts forward a bit. Absolutely tickled with mine. Just make em give you a promise on when it will be delivered. Took them a while to get it to me.

If I build another.....I'll use a dropped I-beam front axle like was on it originally. Lot of good stuff at Speedway Motors for this.

Dave G
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
Heck I even used to have a 36 truck.......I plan on doing a 30-31 Model A with twins hanging out right where the headlights belong eventually

my driveway last summer.....

I'm kind of wishing I had gone fenderless....to far into this theme to change my mind now though. Keep us updated.

Dave G
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for such a delay. Been working on the truck more....versus being on the i-net.

I went with Mustang II variation built by Street Rod Engineering. They build each one to your spec as far as where you want to place it on the frame. Lots of measuring but gives you the ability to push those fronts forward a bit. Absolutely tickled with mine. Just make em give you a promise on when it will be delivered. Took them a while to get it to me.

If I build another.....I'll use a dropped I-beam front axle like was on it originally. Lot of good stuff at Speedway Motors for this.

Dave G

Dave,

I've got a Fatman's MII IFS in mine with Air Ride Tech bags. I was actually more interested in the tubular x-member/transmission mount. Did you fab that yourself?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I'm kind of wishing I had gone fenderless....to far into this theme to change my mind now though. Keep us updated.

Dave G
that thing looks cool just sitting on the trailer. the fenderless look is cool and trendy but that thing with the chopped top and bigger wheels in back looks
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Subliminal Hit
that thing looks cool just sitting on the trailer. the fenderless look is cool and trendy but that thing with the chopped top and bigger wheels in back looks
Well thank you. Believe it or not.....the top hasnt been chopped yet. Its called a low cab 2nd series for 36. I'm trying to find another cab by itself. Concidering the no fender, custom frame, and prostreet look for another build. This truck is suppose to be my daily driver when completed. Hence the LS package. Definitely a great platform for a street rod.

Dave G
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL's. We have two things in common then. I had an 87 Grand Nat and loved her. I know what you mean about turbo charging. I want to do the forced induction thing and love the sound of a big 8-71. But dont want it sticking out of the hood in my face all day....and dont feel its as effecient. But I've been doing a lot of reading in here today....and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with all the problems guys are having with 'tuner' kits versus a near ready package. I'm still digging though.

I've already had to recess the firewall 3" and if I go s/c'er I'll have to cut it way back.

Link to my build. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...22&action=view

Thanks,
Dave
LOL!! My GN brother LOL I had a 87 about 10 years ago myself with a T- 61 that got me started too! But i gotta honestly say,,, the dam car 5 &10 me to death with problems !Now that i own a 35th LE APS twin turbo theres no looking back

Quick Reply: Package Turbo kit for LS1?