Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS guys please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default STS guys please come in.

I just bought the car. Its a 2002 WS6 with the STS rear mount and a little meth. I know that the pic below is of the manual regulator. But whats the little silver STS thing next to it. What does it do, and how do I make adjustments to the regulator. Thanks guys..

Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

That appears to be the 2 stage electronic regulator. If you call the STS support, they will email you the diagram and debugging procedure.
To manually change it, rotate the black **** on the top of the valve on the right. I think the silver thing is the regulator, but it's been a while since I worked on it.
You should have a switch somewhere inside the car that lets you switch between the two settings.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
That appears to be the 2 stage electronic regulator. If you call the STS support, they will email you the diagram and debugging procedure.
To manually change it, rotate the black **** on the top of the valve on the right. I think the silver thing is the regulator, but it's been a while since I worked on it.
You should have a switch somewhere inside the car that lets you switch between the two settings.

You mentioned two settings. Two settings for what. Sorry, Im new to this.. Do you have the STS system on your car. There is another part under the hood I was wondering about. Its got two waccum lines on it, one goes to the valve cover the other goes to the throttle body. What is that and what does it do.?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that maual boost controller adjust by clicks each click clockwise = 1 psi atleast thats how mine is. i turn it counter clockwise untill it stops and then turn it clockwise until i start to hear clicks and then i just count the clicks untill i reach the desired boost level ie 9 clicks is my 9#of boost. im no sure why that pcv switch is hooked up before it but it may be a saftey net incase the meth runs out or somthing along those lines.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I have one of the first STS systems. I could be wrong about it being the two stage. On mine, that green wire goes to a switch in my console where I can switch between low boost and high boost. You can see it on STS's web site.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

all i thought that thing with the green wire was from when i put mine together was a breather as mine has a filter on it and it connects to the valve cover and to atmosphere
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll accept that. There's snow on the ground, so I'm not crawling under it to see if I have a third part.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

all those silver dealies are, is the pcv regulators....the sts system is a good kit...im verry happy with it...my track time still have something to be desiered, but again, not leaving under boost, and haveing a street tire prolly doesnt help my cause...haha
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Although the Solenoid looks the same as the unit used for the PCV system, that one is definately for the High/Low Boost switch. The way it works is when it is OFF the wastegate works as it normally would, boost pressure pushes agasint the spring pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm, and the Vent is to allow atmosphere to the top of the Wastegate. With the Switch ON, the solenoid allows a variable amount of pressure to push back on the top of the wastegate diaphragm, requiring more overall pressure to open the gate. There should be a switch inside to control it, the last two I installed were Blue Round rocker swtiches.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the info. I thought it appeared to be plumbed the same as my 2 stage.
BTW, for those that care, those diaphrams are rebuildable. Mine quit working this summer, and I pulled it off, got the model number and brand off it, and searched the web. The instructions were right there. It is also very easy, mainly taking it apart, washing it in soap and water, and using a little silicone to lube the oring. Mine works like a charm again.
OP, you should trace that wire. It will lead to a switch inside the cabin. Mine is hidden in my console, so the PO may have hidden it as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

It's more than likey going to be hidden, so good luck tracing it out. STS recommends putting it in the glove box. Mine is in the ashtray.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen that switch setup used to control when the methanol fires as well, not solely as a low/high boost toggle switch. That said, if you simply can not find a switch in the dash/ashtray, etc.....then that's probably the deal.

Be very careful adjusting the manual boost controller. One click is NOT 1PSI. It might start off that way, but it is not linear. Sometimes a click will be 2PSI, or 2-3 clicks for 1PSI. In short, make changes slowly
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Well, when I pull the knod out then go to turn it, there arent any "clicks." I can turn in counter clockwise till it stops, but no "clicks."
Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Well, when I pull the knod out then go to turn it, there arent any "clicks." I can turn in counter clockwise till it stops, but no "clicks."
Some do not click. In that case.....1 turn is what people equate to 1PSI change. Again, it's not an exact science, so you need to increase the boost slowly. If I believe right, full counterclockwise is no additional boost, just what's on the wastegate spring (the standard is 5PSI on the F-body STS kit).
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

My kit is only 4psi on the low side and 9psi on the high side. With the **** all the way counter clock wise (ccw) there is no additional boost, 9psi is about 5 and a 1/2 turns in clockwise.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, cool. I traced the green wire to my center dash righ in front of the shifter. There is a little black switch. I thought it armed the meth. Again, I just bought this car, and the owner isnt very easy to get a hold of. Anyway, I flipped the switch and heard a click. Had someone in the trunk while I was flipping the switch. The clicking was coming from the solinoid that you guys are calling the high and low boost switch. So, I now know that this switch arms the meth and Turns me to the high boost setting. Im keeping the stitch OFF as per suggested by Mr. Schantin. Until I know how my car is tuned and until I get a two bar MAP.

By the way, all of you guys here on this forum are so great. You know, I have a 2000 Vette and I post up over on the Vette forum, and dont get half the respones and feedback as I do here. And I have 80K invested on top of the price of the Vette. I would think I could post up there and get all of the help I could need.... Nope thats not the case... This means a lot to me..... Thanks guys.

Now if I can just get my sig pic back on my sig here, Id be happy... lol
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Launching!

You're welcome
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlie c5
By the way, all of you guys here on this forum are so great. You know, I have a 2000 Vette and I post up over on the Vette forum, and dont get half the respones and feedback as I do here. And I have 80K invested on top of the price of the Vette. I would think I could post up there and get all of the help I could need.... Nope thats not the case... This means a lot to me..... Thanks guys.

Now if I can just get my sig pic back on my sig here, Id be happy... lol
Don't get people started on the corvetteforum over here. Let's just say if you want technical answers that the average guy (or gal) can use, this is the forum for you. When I bought my vette, I had never done nitrous before and this forum helped me get it set up correctly and I ran a 150 shot on stock internals for two years without a single problem.

Good luck with the turbo. That's my next project!

Quick Reply: STS guys please come in.