Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

big bore STS questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question big bore STS questions

okay I just had a small question on using a 427 or a 434ci with a STS kit. What would be some problems I would run into? I was given some advice not to use that kit because there isn't a turbo big enough to push good numbers with that kit. So if there are anymore issues or problems I might run into before I start this kind of build please let me know. Oh and it is a LSX block probably go with PRC LS7 heads still deciding on a cam and a 4L80 trans. Reason for the STS is it is fairly easy to install and I won't have to lose anything I have ie AC or relocate the battery etc etc but I may do that just for a meth injection. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Only problem I see is you would need bigger piping and a bigger turbo and a better fuel system to support the added cubes and big boost. Who ever told you that advice does not know what they are talking about. Do not buy a stock kit, get the parts you need better oil pump, bigger turbo, intercooler, and have all the piping done. Go with 3" it will be good for 1000hp+. a good turbo for that set-up would be t-88, gt-45r, and similar sized. Should also be good for 850whp+. Look at the EPP forced induction cam if you would like good street manners, you could go way larger if its not a daily. It's up to you whether you want to change your springs every 20K. I have an STS w/ meth (windshield wash fluid container is now meth so no battery relocation) and will be running a 364 LQ4 with EPP cam and some dual valve springs. I also love the clean engine bay and driving with A/C. 4L80E transmission is your friend . put a nice stall on it from 3.5-4K, best set-up for STS is a stalled auto. Best of luck to you on your project.

Last edited by omore001; 01-13-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe oh my god! Why the huge motor? JK man LOL, But yeah that big motor and dam good heads the pipes would be a big hold back. One thing to remeber is flow of the turbo and heads ect. I told you the only sts pipe that is on my car is the charge pipe along the driver side of the car. that is going to be a hold back. 3in pipe is not do able it just wont fit, 2.75 will be tight but it will hang low. Oh to Omore001 I told him to look elsewhere and Im fairly sure I know what Im talking about, Look in my sig. I know what he is looking for but sts is not a good choice I offerd to mock my rearmount set up for him because I had to hack the hell out mine to set it right. A pt-88 or gt series is still alittle small for a rearmount due to different AR sizes used to reduce back pressure. On another note Joe look at what you have to buy to make the motor efficent, Bascily that motor is tooooo much for a rearmount. I know you want good numbers and a fast car keep it simple Iron 402-8 patriot stg3 heads, epp cam, vic jr st-80 turbo sd tune and a mock of my set up and your done. My fuel set up is top notch also you know what I run. I have over 150 hp left in my set up but Im dam happy with it. My car traps 140+ in the quater do the math. But on such a huge motor I would do a front mount you will be happy with it. But for a rearmount I would stick with a 364-408. I will call u later pimp.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems like a dual rear mount would do nicely if the plumbing would work itself out. I've seen a late model vette with one here in town, so it can be done.
Certainly ask around, there are many ways to skin a rabbit and not have to cram any more stuff into your engine compartment.
For example, someone reported a rear mount system that had two (2) charge pipes so they could flow enough air to the front. Each pipe was smaller in diameter, but together they flowed as much as a larger pipe, without the clearance issues.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
okay I just had a small question on using a 427 or a 434ci with a STS kit. What would be some problems I would run into? I was given some advice not to use that kit because there isn't a turbo big enough to push good numbers with that kit. So if there are anymore issues or problems I might run into before I start this kind of build please let me know. Oh and it is a LSX block probably go with PRC LS7 heads still deciding on a cam and a 4L80 trans. Reason for the STS is it is fairly easy to install and I won't have to lose anything I have ie AC or relocate the battery etc etc but I may do that just for a meth injection. Any help would be appreciated.
If you want we could build a custom "big" pipe system here at STS with a 88mm turbo and possibly a bigger IC if necessary.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Seems like a dual rear mount would do nicely if the plumbing would work itself out. I've seen a late model vette with one here in town, so it can be done.
Certainly ask around, there are many ways to skin a rabbit and not have to cram any more stuff into your engine compartment.
For example, someone reported a rear mount system that had two (2) charge pipes so they could flow enough air to the front. Each pipe was smaller in diameter, but together they flowed as much as a larger pipe, without the clearance issues.
That is my setup... here it is on my old CETA:
Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

also there is oval piping. everyone seems to forget about that. will be more costly but solves the flow and ground clearance issue.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by longrange4u
That is my setup... here it is on my old CETA:
Thats was pimp, Nince numbers on your thread to. Now for the love of god run that 9!

Quick Reply: big bore STS questions