Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS turbo questions

I used the search and my eyes are bleeding. Please answer a few questions for me. I have a customer that has a 99 T/A. He would like to keep the A/C and power everything. Is there an APS kit that does this, or any other for that matter? I was just on their site and didn't see that they boasted about retaining creature comforts. We are looking to do some sort of forced induction so even his wife can drive the car without having to monitor every guage. The plan is to turbo the 346 or if needed get some sort of stroker combo possibly a 408 and then FI on top of that. We are looking at mid 10s for a goal but like I said, needs to be drivable. Oh and it has an auto that will be built to take whatever we throw at it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Aps kit would be your best bet . The kit keeps everything in place,the turbos are mounted down low.

Where is your shop located ?

Warren
Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Teching In

I just saw a post about a 403 with Kenne Bell. What we are looking for is raw power through forced induction that can be docile so wifey can drive it, with a thorough warning about the dangers of the go pedal of course. Oh and my shop is in southern arizona. See conceptfab.net and for pictures myspace.com/conceptfab.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Second Club

KB is not going to fit under the cowl of an f-body.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is that MTI supercharger kit out now that does fit.

I have the APS kit on my car with a bulit 408. My car is 99% street car ,will see a track just to get some timeslips to frame on the wall ,ditto with a dyno.

That said so far its very streetable. I picked a very streetable cam. Compression is 9.5.Rear gearing will be 3.54 in an S60. Going with 4l80e swap and streetable yank stall.
Car has basically no lope. Estimate power currently at maybe 650rwhp with as supplied gate springs. Car is already very fast, has lots of torque down low and spools up very quick. Going to try either new wider 315 17 inch nittos or go to et street radials or m and h no other choice. I don't need to daily drive but if had too then nittos are ok in rain if you are careful. Also looking into a variable traction control system made by racelogic. My car has no traction control factory option.

If you are serious about streetable not much reason to go past 600 or so rwhp. Hard to use much past it.

Aps keeps air and doesn't relocate battery or alternator. They supply new billet coolant overflow and billet windshield washer tank. Spark plug access is about same as stock. Getting to the turbos is a bit annoying if they need service though.Have to drop k member down.

But overall pretty happy with my kit.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
They supply new billet coolant overflow and billet windshield washer tank.
You need to google what billet means. The overflow and washer fluid tank are definitely not billet.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Does aps need a tube k frame? And do you have vids of your car?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, it requires a BMR K member, and is a very well thought out kit.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok guess not billet .Still very nice parts.Works of art. You can check out the aps kit on their website and you can also look thru the instructions on their website and the parts lists are there as well to see.

You will need a k member .I used bmr but people have used other makes.
And you also need a ypipe if you use stock exhaust type setup instead of duals. I used hooker ceramic coated ypipe.

If you search this forum there are quite a few threads of the aps install. Mine is in there too.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

How much do the APS kits range?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yes APS kit allows you to retain A/C. I put the kit on my stock LS1 at 89k last fall. The car went into storage this winter with over 105k on the clock. I daily drive this thing in the warm weather. I have had zero issues with the kit other than the rubber radiator overflow tube cracking and leaking some coolant. Still never overheated but did run hit until I figured out what it was.

I only upgraded my fuel system, valve springs and pushrods. You can search my name for my install thread. Tons of pics and lots of input/feedback. I was one of the first with this kit running after it was released and think I have the most mileage on the kit. I still get 18/24mpg with the kit. So I can't complain, I doubled my power and only lost 4mpg on the highway.

I've driven it to the track for my carclub track rentals. Made 8 passes and then drove it home with the A/C on. Like I said, it has been reliable and definitely fun on the street. It has surprised a fair share of people out there. The car is completely normal during normal driving. But once you get into boost it is a freaking animal! Pulls like a freight train and plasters a grin on your face in the process.

You will need a BMR k-member and a new rearend if the car doesn't have one. I am still on the stock 10 bolt but am sticking with street tires as those are my fuse at the moment. I'd rather spin the tires than blow the rearend. Even with this combo I still ran a 12.3 @ 126. The speed is there for a much lower ET but I need to upgrade the rearend so I can launch it harder with a stickier tire. Not that it really matters to me. The car is my fun daily driver. So whatever it runs, is what it runs at the track.

I finally got my gauges this year but have yet to install them. So as far as not having to monitor the gauges, this kit is good for that. Never watched them in the 15k that has been put on the kit. It's all about a good tune and I definitely got that. I had a safe street tune put on the car and still made plenty of power.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I also replaced my overflow tube with a better one. After being forewarned by a few guys like Hugger.

For current price check out some aps dealers or contact aps directly. Hugger and I bought our kits when they came out at special pricing.

There are lots of threads in this forum if you search aps. Threads on install and threads on all the rest of it.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by Louis
yes, it requires a BMR K member, and is a very well thought out kit.
Yes, After you fix the front stab bar hitting the inlet pipes if car is lowered?? and of coarse ordering with the reinforced hoses when you order the kit so as not to get banged for another $450 on top of what the kit cost!

Is APS selling this camaro kit with the updated reinforced hoses or are they still shipping with the cheaper ones?

Quick Reply: APS turbo questions