Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What exhaust should I use while using the APS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exhaust should I use while using the APS kit?

What kind of exhaust should I do while using the 427 APS kit on either a 408 or 427 motor? This is a street car. I was thinking of running a 12"inch pipe off of each turbo and then a bullet muffler with it dumped. Or just running a 12"inch pipe and dumped (no muffler), or true duels. Is there a power diff between these three or any other set up. Pros and cons about each set up would help. I want it LOUD. I will have a lopey cam. I always loved the way my true duels w/ OR X pipe sounded. So I would like it as loud as I can get it. Thank you. If you have video clips or pictures that would be great
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM

I was going to do this if I got the APS kit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/4831287-post1.html
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Hooker Y pipe / GMMG

I bought and used a (Summit) Hook Y pipe that fit PERFECTLY!! in every way and used a GMMG after that!! Bad *** man LOL And sent it threw my CME!!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by 98Aggie
I was going to do this if I got the APS kit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/4831287-post1.html
Thats something like i was going to do,, but after talking with alot of guys on here with TT they all pretty well much said that if its mostly street driven ,,its better if they have alittle back pressure? to equalize the turbo's??So i just went with a hooker Y pipe and a GMMG myself and the loudness isnt as bad as straight duals either!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
9 Second Club

im going with not the best idea because being a turbo car its going to run alittle richer on the fuel side and all of that **** coming out would end up on your wheels and the side of the car. and that would just suck to clean off all the time or even hurt your paint
just my 2 cents guys
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbos can quiet up the sound some but I like to have the best of both worlds. I would run either just ypipe into decent catback and electric cutout or run true duals all the way out to the back with mufflers. I would then get two electric cutouts for the true duals. Then you can open the cutouts as they are variable from open to closed when you want loud. And close them when you want to be more invisible to say cops and your neighbors and maybe play the stealth thing to other potential adversaries.
A super loud car gets old quick. And not every place puts up with them. With the cutout open you can hear the turbos spool up much better.With the cutout closed they are a lot quieter.

Sts runs no muffler at all on their system of course. Mostly personal taste.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, if I need a little back pressure then will the pipe off the turbo with a bullet muffler w/ dumped be ok? Yes or No? What about these two exhaust set ups? Use true duels with OR X pipe w/ bullet muffler or true duels w/OR X pipe w/no mufflers which would be louder between the true duel set up? Being "To Loud" is not a issue. I want it to loud. I have a stroker with 3inch true duels OR X pipe and it is loud as ****. I love it when people roll the windows up. It is a street car but I only drive it on wkends or when I go to the street races. So the three choices I have are real true duel off the turbos w/ mufflers, duels w/X pipe and mufflers or duels w/X pipe and no muffers. I think duels off the turbos will be louder and better flowing, but is it enough back pressure?

Last edited by jeremym; 02-16-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Kooks y-pipe into cat back..GMMG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gRCx8_fs0
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Not sure why you would bother with going to true duals as said you can just put electric cutouts pre ypipe and run hooker or kooks ypipe into stock or other catback and have best of both worlds. You can be quiet when you want ,if you want and there are times you should want unless the police in Texas are that lenient but what if you take it to other states?The whole point of a turbo build up is the car should stay very streetable. A kitten off boost and a tiger on boost. My cam sounds near stock.
My exhaust with cutout closed is pretty darn quiet. You can not hear the turbos spool that much with cutout closed. You can not hear the blows off that much if you dont put it into boost and you don't hardly need to put it into boost just driving around town. A built 408 is no slouch even off boost.

But open the cutout and then you can hear it spool much better. Best of both worlds I think and electric cutouts are pretty cheap.

A turbo car is not going to be as loud as NA the turbos will act as muffers but my car still seems pretty darn loud with open cutout. I just have single and it at least least cuts down on the rattles and resonance by moving the exhaust back to under the passenger seat area when cutout is open.

Also if you are into street racing then its much sneakier to be able to make your car quiet the aps kit is very sneaky with nothing showing other than the intercooler neck.
With open exhaust people will hear you coming from miles away! Course you have some really loud blow offs now too but if you keep it out of boost they won't be that loud of course.

I didn't go for the stealth much as said have my emblems and liscence plate but not into street racing. At least not in city limits. Its treated like first degree murder where I live. So only be playing out of town and then only on like sunday mornings on nice likely double lane highways. A 1000 or so rwhp car is not going to exactly be that easy to keep straight. You may also want to look into variable traction control that I mentioned and for sure you will need some et street radials or m and h street radials doubtful nittos will do the job at your planned power levels.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Tnt do you have more videos of your car driving around? Have to get me a new camcorder and make some of mine in a few months. If spring will ever get here!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Tnt do you have more videos of your car driving around? Have to get me a new camcorder and make some of mine in a few months. If spring will ever get here!
nah...roads have been pretty salty here from bad weatehr so i havent driven it at all since Oct. hopefully soon.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremym
What kind of exhaust should I do while using the 427 APS kit on either a 408 or 427 motor? This is a street car. I was thinking of running a 12"inch pipe off of each turbo and then a bullet muffler with it dumped. Or just running a 12"inch pipe and dumped (no muffler), or true duels. Is there a power diff between these three or any other set up. Pros and cons about each set up would help. I want it LOUD. I will have a lopey cam. I always loved the way my true duels w/ OR X pipe sounded. So I would like it as loud as I can get it. Thank you. If you have video clips or pictures that would be great
Try a 12" Pipe dumped, no muffler, if you want loud. The turbos quiet the exhaust down so its still going to be loud, but NOT like your NA setup with open headers loud. I know on my twin turbo car, with open DPs, those turbos sound freaking insane. You wont stop smiling.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

i run the down pipes to a flowmaster Y-pipe it goes dual 3in to one 4in pipe to the rearend and a turn down thats it you want loud there it is and cheap 70bucks
Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Try a 12" Pipe dumped, no muffler, if you want loud. The turbos quiet the exhaust down so its still going to be loud, but NOT like your NA setup with open headers loud. I know on my twin turbo car, with open DPs, those turbos sound freaking insane. You wont stop smiling.
I thought I needed a little back pressure? If I run a pipe off the turbo and dump it without a muffler will I have enough back pressure? If not I will just do this but put a bullet muffler on it.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jeremym
I thought I needed a little back pressure? If I run a pipe off the turbo and dump it without a muffler will I have enough back pressure? If not I will just do this but put a bullet muffler on it.
Some of the guys with more experience will have to get you a definate answer on this. But Im pretty damn sure you can run DP dumped without problems. You might have to run a certain amount of pipe for back pressure reasons.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Some of the guys with more experience will have to get you a definate answer on this. But Im pretty damn sure you can run DP dumped without problems. You might have to run a certain amount of pipe for back pressure reasons.
Thanks man. This TT **** is crazy. There is so much **** you have to pay attention to. It is way diff then a N/A set up.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think turbos need any backpressure ,sts has no muffler behind hit seems to work fine. I wasn't planning on running anything on my 91 talon race car other than just a long downpipe to about mid car..no muffler.

For sure remember you will need tuning on this TT car as well. Timing and AFR have to be brought down a lot from NA as well and you will pretty much need to go to 2 or 3 bar speed density.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

yea I was thinking the turbos act as the back pressure source??
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I don't think turbos need any backpressure ,sts has no muffler behind hit seems to work fine. I wasn't planning on running anything on my 91 talon race car other than just a long downpipe to about mid car..no muffler.

For sure remember you will need tuning on this TT car as well. Timing and AFR have to be brought down a lot from NA as well and you will pretty much need to go to 2 or 3 bar speed density.
You gotta remember,,,The STS turbos impellers are desighned defrently then front mount turbos are!!!Thats why there in the back LOL STS will even tell you this!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Sound clip

Originally Posted by TNTramair
Kooks y-pipe into cat back..GMMG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gRCx8_fs0
Car sounds BAD *** Mr TNT Sounds exactly like mine LOL GMMG all the way my freind !

Quick Reply: What exhaust should I use while using the APS kit?