Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming

ok well im about to get my FMIC piping done for my 2000 WS6 and i need to cut out the bumper and bumber support to mount the FMIC so if it would be possible if you can post some pics of you bumper support and bumper, how you cut them out which area to cut trim etc... also if possible get some pics of everything installed and a pic looking down on the bumper with the hood open (washer fluid tank area) and from the bottom up with the bumper mounted... that would help me alot because i dont want to cut up the bumper and be wrong them are expensive and hard to come by... my main worry is to how much to cut the very bottom if at all and how does it look all mounted up from the top and bottom view

thanks matt
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

All I did was remove the fog light bar & cut out the lic plate area for airflow. Then it just slid over the bottom (EPP FMIC on a TA).
Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

I just measured mine, then found center of the steel bumper support. marked that, and went half the distance.I cut on the line and trimmed as needed, when I was done I welded a piece of 2x1/8" steel all the way from one end to another. then drilled 2 holes for the intercooler to mount, put a rubber washer/washer/rubber washer and bolted it in. I looked and all of my pics I have are from to far away to see and thing that your looking for.

it's easier then you think. GL!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well im going to try it sunday so ill see hopefully its as easy
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
11Second Club

Rather than chopping the bumper support in half or removing it altogether the way some people have done, I cut the front out of it so that it will still give some strength to the car, the bottom of the bumper can still snap to it, and the fogs are still in their stock location. The intercooler is held in place by a simple piece of angled galvenized(sp?) steel that I trimmed with a dremel.
Attached Thumbnails T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-intercooler1.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-intercooler2.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-bumper.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-intercooler_side.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
11Second Club

Here are some pics from when I was mocking up the pipe. Let me know if you have any questions. I really wish I could have found someone who did it exactly as I did to ask questions, ROFL. I just kind of played it by ear as I was working on it, and it was stressful not knowing what I was going to have a problem with next... didn't turn out to bad, though.
Attached Thumbnails T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-pipe1.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-pipe2.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-pipe3.jpg   T/A's with FMIC NEED HELP w/bumper trimming-intake_and_pipe.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is you car a DD because mine will be and that looks like it getting no airflow to the radiator and condensor
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
11Second Club

It's a DD (well, I have a DD, but this gets driven more ). Temps have been good so far in traffic. I don't have the AC back on the car yet, though, and it's not very hot. However, the radiator should get pretty decent air flow through the holes above the fogs, the license plate cover, and the gaps in front and behind the IC. I don't foresee any issues.

I think especially at speed the radiator should see a lot of air coming up under the bumper through the bottom half of the IC, and then through the radiator.