Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whos gone from Turbos to a Procharger??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Whos gone from Turbos to a Procharger??

I know to alot of people this would be "down grading" but Id like to see if anyone went from a Turbo setup to a Procharged setup. Whats your opinions on the switch for those that done it? Im missing the snappiness in the low end with just cruising around and cracking the throttle quick. Im wondering if maybe a Procharged setup with some 3:73s and back to a 6 speed might be what im looking for.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're wanting "snappy" low-end torque, I think a roots or twin screw is what you want. The Procharger is pretty weak down low. It's all about screaming at the top end. Hell, mine doesn't make but a couple pounds of boost below 3k RPMs, but it makes 13-14psi near 7k.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gauge
If you're wanting "snappy" low-end torque, I think a roots or twin screw is what you want. The Procharger is pretty weak down low. It's all about screaming at the top end. Hell, mine doesn't make but a couple pounds of boost below 3k RPMs, but it makes 13-14psi near 7k.
A magnuson dies out around 500-550 depending on your heads and cam. I thought a F1A with a full point or more in compression plus some steeper gears might give me the low end I want, give up some of the mid range compared to the TT's but still have great top end pull.

your setup & power looks like what I would be trying to do.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

My YSi setup hit like a stroker with same shortblock and gearing as the turbo setup I had. I think a 6 speed though would be a real handful though. What size turbo(s) are you running?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say prochargers are "weak" down low. It depends on the head unit and engine combo as always but most recent dyno graphs on 400+ci +F1 prochargers are putting down 500+rwtq @ 3Krpms. Also, take a look at EPP Bob's wheelstands.

My last setup was a TT Trans Am, put down 750rwhp on pump. I learned alot with that setup and with that knowledge and my preferences have decided to "upgrade" to a procharger; simplicity, no oil lines, no turning the engine bay into a giant oven, keep AC with big power, FAST throttle response, no high exhaust back pressure blowing out header gaskets, no having to run the engine for 5min after you stop before turning the engine off to prevent oil from baking in the lines, and lower intake temps. I am not meaning for this to be a BASH on turbos. These are just my personal experiences and my preferences. Each to his own setup.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My YSi setup hit like a stroker with same shortblock and gearing as the turbo setup I had. I think a 6 speed though would be a real handful though. What size turbo(s) are you running?
twin T04E 57mm, T3 exhaust. The mid range and top end is insane, low end...ehhh, not so much. Which hurts the fun factor when your just out driving around and you wanna crack the throttle. With the TT's you better have a long strip of road to unleash it.

Which setup do you like better? the YSI or the Turbo?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
I wouldn't say prochargers are "weak" down low. It depends on the head unit and engine combo as always but most recent dyno graphs on 400+ci +F1 prochargers are putting down 500+rwtq @ 3Krpms. Also, take a look at EPP Bob's wheelstands.

My last setup was a TT Trans Am, put down 750rwhp on pump. I learned alot with that setup and with that knowledge and my preferences have decided to "upgrade" to a procharger; simplicity, no oil lines, no turning the engine bay into a giant oven, keep AC with big power, FAST throttle response, no high exhaust back pressure blowing out header gaskets, no having to run the engine for 5min after you stop before turning the engine off to prevent oil from baking in the lines, and lower intake temps. I am not meaning for this to be a BASH on turbos. These are just my personal experiences and my preferences. Each to his own setup.

Im glad you chimed in. I remember your TT T/A that GMR did and how you didnt like the sluggish low end that it had.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Im glad you chimed in. I remember your TT T/A that GMR did and how you didnt like the sluggish low end that it had.

The setup wasn't "bad" by turbo standards. It would hit hard at 3800 or so. It's just that instant snappy throttle response is very important to me. I don't feel as in control of a car that I have to wait 2sec after I put my foot down to get the reponse I want. I want the car to be an extension of myself. Kinda like I feel when I'm on my crotch rockets.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you need a 408 pushing those turbos.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
I don't feel as in control of a car that I have to wait 2sec after I put my foot down to get the reponse I want. I want the car to be an extension of myself. Kinda like I feel when I'm on my crotch rockets.
haha, thats exactly what im talking about. Mine hit right at 3000-3200.
So have you driven your procharged setup? how does it compare?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

How about a big bore Kenne Bell? I used to work there back in 2003, and helped develop some SC kits for the 03-04 Mustang Cobras and also the GM truck / SUV's. They didnt have the big bore kits back then that they have now, and to be honest i really havent kept up on thier progress since then. Those twin screws came on really hard down low, and i think the new big bore units they have out support almost 900hp. Anybody running a KB setup with 600+ RWHP with any good feedback?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

30th I think kp's Procharger setup was very impressive, went 8.9's with the SDCE tensioner and he used like one belt a year. I think as far as blower cars go, his 1998 TA set a very high standard. I was looking to go mid 9's up to low 10's I would probably do the Procharger but with an auto trans. I liked both of my setups but they both had their warts and they both had different strengths. The turbo setup was most likely to get me arrested for going 200mph on the highway.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
How about a big bore Kenne Bell? I used to work there back in 2003, and helped develop some SC kits for the 03-04 Mustang Cobras and also the GM truck / SUV's. They didnt have the big bore kits back then that they have now, and to be honest i really havent kept up on thier progress since then. Those twin screws came on really hard down low, and i think the new big bore units they have out support almost 900hp. Anybody running a KB setup with 600+ RWHP with any good feedback?
I called KB back in Oct. If you mention F-Body they get irritated. I'm guessing I got the owner since he said " I'd be a lot of time, trying to do a custom drive set up and not worth the hassle and if I ever heard of one of my guys doing this for someone, I'd fire them" I decided from that conversation that if I ever went twin screw on the Camaro it'd be a whipple, even if I had to mount the damn t-body where the radio is.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you got Jim Bell (owner). He's not in it for the money, in fact im not sure why he bothers at all! Great blower, but poor customer service and lack of R&D for alot of popular cars. Im putting my setup in a 72 chevelle and running a truck ACC drive....so i just need a blower with a truck snout to line up with the ACC, and a LS3 style Vette intake base. Maybee ill call him up, see if he remembers me. maybee he'll give me a discount. ****, he may raise the price too! We'll see......
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ9CHEVELLE
Sounds like you got Jim Bell (owner). He's not in it for the money, in fact im not sure why he bothers at all! Great blower, but poor customer service and lack of R&D for alot of popular cars. Im putting my setup in a 72 chevelle and running a truck ACC drive....so i just need a blower with a truck snout to line up with the ACC, and a LS3 style Vette intake base. Maybee ill call him up, see if he remembers me. maybee he'll give me a discount. ****, he may raise the price too! We'll see......
On a side note, I've talked to Justin and Mike at Whipple. Real nice guys, cant give out location specs on the blower layout but they at least gave me the time of day. Their system, a 3.3 with a 10 rib drive, intake, and fuel rails, is less expensive then the KB as far as I can tell. Lead time for their system is 4 days.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I wouldn't say they are weak down low, mine makes 500RWTQ at 3300.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Dosen't look like whipple offers a kit for L92 / LS3 style heads yet, according to their website. Guess im SOL on that idea, unless i wanna fab it up with one of their 3.3 blowers
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

LS2/402, EPP blower cam, AFR heads, LS2 intake, ProCharger F-1A at 14.4 psi. Take a look at the torque at 2200 rpm-2500 rpm. Bob
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt say TT are weak down low. My friends aps standard TT kit on a 370ci makes 850rwhp around 3100 RPM and 944twtq around 3500 RPM. That is why I bought the APS Large TT kit for a big cube motor.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Well I'm thinking about going F1C From STS TT Since mid low range is crappy with those Turbos.

Quick Reply: Whos gone from Turbos to a Procharger??