Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SPONSER: sell me a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPONSER: sell me a turbo kit

I dont know who all makes a good front mount kit for a LS fbody..

so you guys chime in and drive a sale.. I'm going to go with the truck manifold setup.

motor to be charged is a 8.5:1 408cui iron block.. fueling, tuning and drivetrain I have under control.. I just need a kit which will include a turbo, intercooler, wastegate, blowoff, all the piping, down pipe, clamps and oil system/fittings/lines.

I only want around 800whp because I want to keep my stock computer.

this will be a street car for the adrenaline junky, so a/c doesnt matter if it stays or goes.. I dont want to be much more than 3500-4500 invested into the actual turbo kit.. (I'll just call it a tuner kit)

so what do yall have?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the aps kit is very nice, but i have the old ls1 motorsports system which is similar to the tti kit.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Launching!

wow... that aps kit almost looks to clean and orginized lol
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ yea but allot of people are having problems with them. dead turbos, pipes collapsing..

if i where you i would fabricate a front mount twin turbo truck manifold kit. but then again it is allot easier to say it then to do it. there is allot of work involved like standing up the radiator, mounting the intercooler at the front and lots of other stuff. if you can do the work yourself that would be a big money saver and it would be pretty fun (at least for me it would be)

good luck
Old 05-09-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kentucky Turbo
Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by elias_799
^^^ yea but allot of people are having problems with them. dead turbos, pipes collapsing..

if i where you i would fabricate a front mount twin turbo truck manifold kit. but then again it is allot easier to say it then to do it. there is allot of work involved like standing up the radiator, mounting the intercooler at the front and lots of other stuff. if you can do the work yourself that would be a big money saver and it would be pretty fun (at least for me it would be)

good luck
thats exactly what I want to do really... I dont want a turbo with a bunch of colorful pipes and fancy bends.. just want a simply made kit.. I have seen a bunch of truck manifold kits on here the look exactly like what I want.

just finding the time and mandrel bender.... I am real handy with a torch..

just dont know where to find a good pipe shop with alumium pipe.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

There is a T6 truck manifold crossover in the classifieds for $1K. Get that, T6 turbo, ebay cold side and then all your little odds/ends and you're set. I don't think any sponsors here sell a 'kit'. KYTP is the only shop I can think of. Modular turbo offers a DIY kit that you could weld up as well.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a gentt kit in the classsified thought it was 4000? And a used or NIB APS kit would still be a great start. The aps has a few issues but most are minor and easily fixed. Some have had bad luck with turbos. Some haven't. You can replace the center sections with ones from other sources if need be. LG on here offers centers, there is company in Austalia that looks like does custom ball bearing centers, you can get centers off ebay,etc.

That gen tt kit might be good also. And of course you can fab and make up your own,buying hot parts here and intercooler there. Just stick to quality parts for gate or gates and blow offs. I like tial and turbosmart ,stay away from knock offs.
intercooler I recommend quality but some guys seem to have ok luck with cheaper ones ,hit and miss on that. Cheap ones have poor effiiciency or will leak from crappy welding .
Master power turbos seem pretty good for pretty cheap. Local guy is running low 11s with his kind of homemade single setup on a 3rd gen.

I am not super unhappy with my aps kit. I will tweak a few things on it and it should be fine.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

For that price, call Josh @ Kentucky Turbo.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Launching!

For that kind of power I'd jump on the OFI setup in the classifieds. I keep watching it but just don't have the jingle right now.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Launching!

thanks for the replies

I have decided to run a ebay hardpipe kit and a master power turbo.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

too much motor for the ebay/PTK kit, look for something else.

Quick Reply: SPONSER: sell me a turbo kit