new to turbos have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new to turbos have a few questions

Ok am buying a turbo kit Monday
And I want to make 900s if possible what do I need to get there? So far I have

A forged 347 short block with crower rods mahle flat tops arp rod bolts stock crank

The turbo kit is a truck manifold kit with a precision turbo 76 also I have a fast 92/NW 92 fast fuel rails 60# injectors
My goals are 900s on 16-20psi I will be running race gas and methanol
I need yall to prescribe me a few things
A good lopey turbo cam I love lope but if I have to sacrifice that to make big power I will buy if love to find a happy medium
Also a set of heads I want afr 205s if money allows but it probably won't so I'm looking in the 1000 range or maybe some 243s or 317s
Also I need a fuel pump to support 1000hp
And a good alky kit

I know I sound like an idiot but I'm new I'm sorry thanks for the help in advance
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

What year is the car? I have a dual fuel pump setup for sale that will handle your goals... From what I understand you shouldn't use methonal injection with race gas.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I think you need a bigger turbo. Something around a pte 88/47 would be a better choice. Just my opinion....
Old 05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Twin pumps for sure. I got Lonnies full setup good for 1000rwhp or so. It has twin pump with hobbs switch so second pump runs only under boost.
Bigger rails , good filter ,boost referenced reg and bigger lines. You already have better rails. 60s are not going to cut it. You need 80s for high impedence and 96 or bigger for
low impedence. I went 120s so should be good for awhile.
Lopey cam think that epp cam is bit lopey and still FI friendly. I wanted no lope and thats what I got.
Turbo cams mostly affect powerband not so much max power but can affect areas under the curve and guess a really poor cam could give problems top end too.

Sounds like you go things ok enginewise and hope you are talking 900engine hp as woudln't push a stock crank much past the 1000 engine hp point but not an expert with stock cranks.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

317s are ok for now. Patriot has some budget heads or use 317 and see how they do. They drop compression a bit and you likley should be around 9.5 to 1 . My builder said 9 to 1 if running pump only and 9.5 if going to run alc/meth.I went 9.5 to 1. Seems snappy off boost which I like.

I would go for good heads later on .I am happy with my 225 AFR on my 408. For 346 the 205 would be nice heads. Thicker deck as you may have trouble with head gaskets at your planned boost level. Another reason to go up on turbo. You get more lag but you can also run lower boost and make same power as smaller turbo at higher boost.

Remember is airflow that makes the power not boost technically.
Also hope you have deep pockets for clutch and rear end and new tranny if its auto and even if its stick and new driveshaft and lots of money for tires.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
What year is the car? I have a dual fuel pump setup for sale that will handle your goals... From what I understand you shouldn't use methonal injection with race gas.
the car is an 02 and how much are you looking to get for the dual pump setup? also y not run race gas with meth/alky i was going to run a mix of 110 and 93 then spray alky but if that wont work please explain lol thanks

Originally Posted by 1999T/A30th1336
I think you need a bigger turbo. Something around a pte 88/47 would be a better choice. Just my opinion....
i plan on going with that POSSIBLY in the future but keep in mind i dont know a whole lot about this so why do i need a bigger turbo if the turbo is rated at 1200hp thanks for help

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
317s are ok for now. Patriot has some budget heads or use 317 and see how they do. They drop compression a bit and you likley should be around 9.5 to 1 . My builder said 9 to 1 if running pump only and 9.5 if going to run alc/meth.I went 9.5 to 1. Seems snappy off boost which I like.

I would go for good heads later on .I am happy with my 225 AFR on my 408. For 346 the 205 would be nice heads. Thicker deck as you may have trouble with head gaskets at your planned boost level. Another reason to go up on turbo. You get more lag but you can also run lower boost and make same power as smaller turbo at higher boost.

Remember is airflow that makes the power not boost technically.
Also hope you have deep pockets for clutch and rear end and new tranny if its auto and even if its stick and new driveshaft and lots of money for tires.
drive train is already covered spec stage 5 clutch and 12 bolt with 3.90s ... tires uuuuhh not so much 315 mickey but i dont think thatll even hold lol
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm sorry not familiar with too many single turbo models except like gt35rs like use in my talons.
If you turbo is good for 1200 hp then it should be fine doing 900 hp.It goes according to airflow. To do 1200 engine hp has to flow about 120lb.min.
Course with twins they add together.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i am going to go with 317s, this turbo witch is a precision turbos t76gts, i already have head studs and i am going with an mls head gasket but dont know what size to go with what do you recomend for 20psi lol

also i still need a cam fuel pump and injectors

when it comes to injectors i want to go with bigger than smaller in case i want to go with more boost where can i get some big ones and what size should i get?

fuel pump i might go with the guy aboves if its in my price range
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i love this cam but it just seems to big for a turbo setup seems more like a blower cam it says forced induction but i dont know

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=679

watch the link it sounds NASTY!!! lol

also what is impedence? high and low? and how much and how good of an idea is flow matching?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Go with 80s high impedence or 96 low impedence but then you need converter box and harness. The basic siemens 80s are fine get flow matched ones.
you need a dual pump for sure or a huge external and then sumped tank,etc.
You need like 8 an feeds and 6 return as said a boost referenced reg as well.
You can talk to nasty or Lonnies for some of this stuff.

No idea on what gaskets for that boost gm mls are popular some guys like cometic.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok what cam tho? and can some one give me good head gasket thickness for this kind of boost need it quickly
Old 05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump....
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I'm hoping my99taws6 will chime in because you've been very help full so far. I've taken a few days checked my funds and bought a set of 96# injectors and versa fueler also I bought a 224 224 609 600 116 cam I'm getting my 317s ported and I'm buying a Garrett 90mm other than twin pumps what else do I need?

Should I run race gas or a good alky kit?

Also should I go sd tuned or an 85mm maf sensor?

And what's a good set of plugs to run?

thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go speed density.3 bar setup.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02anti_vnm
Ok I'm hoping my99taws6 will chime in because you've been very help full so far. I've taken a few days checked my funds and bought a set of 96# injectors and versa fueler also I bought a 224 224 609 600 116 cam I'm getting my 317s ported and I'm buying a Garrett 90mm other than twin pumps what else do I need?

Should I run race gas or a good alky kit?

Also should I go sd tuned or an 85mm maf sensor?

And what's a good set of plugs to run?

thanks
96 and versafueler sound good. I got aem box and plug and play harness and 120s.
cam should be ok. As said there are lots of theories on turbo cams. You got no split most seem to like normal split duration and some reverse split. Run it and see how it goes. Its got reasonable lift and nice lsa. Won't really have any lope but I don't really need lope in my 99 , maybe an old chevelle.

An alky kit is all you need.You can run 50/50 or straight meth. be warned nhra tracks think require steel lines for alc kit and screw on cap and think vented cap so some kits don't qualify. I was looking into ais stage 2 with braided lines trunk mount kit but not sure 100% it fits and lets me keep t tops storage since it would go on left side of car. I have big dual 12 inch sub box on package and the nitrous bottle in spare tire well.

race fuel is annoying to buy and and store etc. You can make up race gas equivalent if you buy xylene or toluene and run about 1 to 4 mix with gas.
Turbo guys like buick grand national guys have used it for years. Its available at local paint stores at least in my city. Its safe to run in those ratios.
I try it out here and there since race gas is much harder to get. I plan on running alc injection not meth in my 99 . Might run e85 if we ever get it.

Plugs I like ngk iridium. For 900 hp likely have to go to about a tr7ix,maybe even a tr8ix. The iridium don't foul near as bad as normal cheap copper plugs so you can go colder and have no problems in daily driving.They also don't need changing near as much as cheap copper and are ok with nitrous too.
Many many import guys run them these days. I hate changing plugs on my 99 and couldn't deal with constant basically yearly plug changes with cheapo copper plugs.

Any more questions fire away..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What was meant when the guy above said not to run meth with race gas? Is that true and if so which is better race gas mix or alky and what's the dif. In meth and alky? Also I don't think ill see a lot of track use so any kit will work what's a good inexpensive kit and where can I get it

Thanks man
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Meth gives you very high octane benefits no need for race gas and great cooling too. Some guys running alc or meth don't bother with intercoolers.
Alc is more running like blue windshield water fluid mix of water and alc . Its less flammable than meth which is considered basically a high octane fuel. It can be dangerous stuff so the tracks regulate lines, etc for safety.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So for my setup meth would be the best option right? No need for race gas ever And is there a certain amount that I have to spray/inject or what?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

You can inject a lot of meth but limited I guess by how much tank holds, how much you want to buy and use. I would talk to few of the companies that sell the kits..AIS , cooling mist..snow performance.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like quite a project. also sounds pretty badass. good luck with it keep me posted.

Quick Reply: new to turbos have a few questions