Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GT4088R Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4088R Questions...

I have a pretty good hookup one one of these turbos and I'm planning on picking it up. I'm trying to research, but I don't want to pass up a deal, so I figured I would just ask and see if anyone could help me out.

I have an LS1/T56 swap in an 88RX7 with a TREX, 1 3/4" long tubes, and 150shot of nitrous. I am bored and want a different setup.

I was planning on going to this GT4088R, truck manifolds, a stock ZO6 cam, and selling the long tubes and nitrous to help pay for everything.

Anyways, question is. What kind of power curve, power levels, and spool time am I looking safely looking at with this on the stock setup before I go forged upon returning from Afghanistan next year? And what kinda of power levels can I expect dropping to probably a 9.5:1 or so compression assuming the bottom end can handle the power levels. I also plan on going to some Trick Flow heads, FAST 92/92 intake, and possibly a better cam when I build the motor.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Launching!

spool will be instant, as far as power curve done by 5000 rpm more like 4500
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

So if I'm going to bother doing a turbo, I need to do something bigger that will carry me through the rev range is what you are saying? Like a GT4292R or GT4202R? I would like to have it keep pulling up till I get off the gas, my current set up is like a 45* angle to my 6800rpm redline.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I also told them I would decide by tomorrow whether I was gonna pick it up or not, but I don't want something that's gonna fall on its face on the top end. I'm trying to learn about this stuff, but my learning curve probably won't catch up with me by tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so how much power do you want?

If your bored with close to 600whp (which is around where I'm guessing you are) than 800 prob will become boring soon as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

4088R with a 1.19 A/R would be really fun - quick boost and peak power should hold till redline with the large A/R
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ideally, I would like to see close to 1000whp or as close as I can get to that as I can while still having something that will work on a road course with the boost turned down. I'm willing to settle for less hp for the drag strip to have something that will still be driveable on a road course. Like, say 850-900 on high boost, 600-650 on low or something like that. I'm open to suggestions. I know there are a LOT of turbos out there and a lot of them or similar but results are hugely different.

And it's not so much that i'm bored with close to 600hp, it's just that I'm bored with the setup and I want to give boost a go... try something different.

Last edited by 67GoatPimp; 05-14-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67GoatPimp
Ideally, I would like to see close to 1000whp or as close as I can get to that as I can while still having something that will work on a road course with the boost turned down. I'm willing to settle for less hp for the drag strip to have something that will still be driveable on a road course. Like, say 850-900 on high boost, 600-650 on low or something like that. I'm open to suggestions. I know there are a LOT of turbos out there and a lot of them or similar but results are hugely different.

And it's not so much that i'm bored with close to 600hp, it's just that I'm bored with the setup and I want to give boost a go... try something different.
I am in the exact same boat as you. I do mainly drag racing but I still want to have a usable power band for the street and for the few times I go to the roadcourse, autox.

Thats why I've been looking at prochargers. Mainly not for the power it makes but because modulation of the power is prob a little easier with the supercharger
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

I thought about that, but I'd rather do a turbo after much deliberation. I main use will be designed for the road course, but I want to be able to have fun/impress at the drag strip as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Road Course setup = shitty drag
Drag setup = shitty road course
Road/Drag setup = Shitty everything

Unless of course you are willing to make lots of suspension changes to the car for each kind of event.

If my aunt had ***** she'd be my uncle.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie

Unless of course you are willing to make lots of suspension changes to the car for each kind of event.

Amen!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie

True but because rx7s kick *** so much you can kinda get away with being pretty good at both at the same time, especially the FDs.

A turbo Ls1 Fd with adjustable suspesion, and slightly stiffer springs and super wide tires can kick *** at the road course. Then the next day throw bias plys on, adjust the suspension and take the sway bars off and still kill just about anything that shows up at any particular street night.

FCs, what the original poster and I have are just as good on the drag strip but near stock dont have quite the capabilities on the road course. Still pretty damn good though for how cheap they are.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

i'm just looking for something that will put me at the power levels I want. As of right now, I'm sitting at probably 420wheel on motor with full coilovers and run pretty ******* good at the road course. Add a 150 shot and drop the front sway bar and I run 10.80s just shy of 140. Sure it should be in the 9s, but it's not a straight drag car and it's still fast enough to beat the avg guy at the track and most people from a roll.

So if anyone can recommend a turbo that can put me at the power levels I want to be at for low/high boost settings efficiently let me know. But don't tell me what I want to do won't work at all, cuz it already does what I want the current setup. I just want more power and I want to go about it a different way.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

i'm just looking for something that will put me at the power levels I want. As of right now, I'm sitting at probably 420wheel on motor with full coilovers and run pretty ******* good at the road course. Add a 150 shot and drop the front sway bar and I run 10.80s just shy of 140. Sure it should be in the 9s, but it's not a straight drag car and it's still fast enough to beat the avg guy at the track and most people from a roll.

So if anyone can recommend a turbo that can put me at the power levels I want to be at for low/high boost settings efficiently let me know. But don't tell me what I want to do won't work at all, cuz it already does what I want the current setup. I just want more power and I want to go about it a different way.
Damn. souns like you already have serious traction problems based on those times.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, a little bit, lol. I'm going to an 03/04 cobra rear though so I can leave harder and not break ****. I have broken my diff mount about eleventy billion times.

And the car isn't made to leave hard. I'm ok with that. 10.8 is still movin though, regardless if that's as fast as it could run.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want to road course the last thing you want is a very fast spooling turbo. It will eliminate your ability to control the throttle with any constancy and precision. It could make for good drifting and spinning out in corners though through wheel spin and snap over steer when trying to control wheel spin.

Drag or road course, power is useless unless you are able to hook it. If you are happy with the way your car is now why not shoot for the same power level with a turbo/supercharger. If you are addicted to power like many on this forum have become, you will come to a point where you will need to set the car up more for drag even on the street, or chance wrecking it. Usually it involves converting the steering wheel into something you hold onto while accelerating.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

I want closer to 600 for the road course. I can't spray on the road course. I figured i might as well get something that would handle that on low boost and crank it up for the drag strip.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...my current set up is like a 45* angle to my 6800rpm redline.
What the heck does this mean?!?

And, no, the GT4088 won't make 1000 rwhp. Garrett's website says 700 fw max and you wouldn't make it that far because of the large displacement.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by engineermike
What the heck does this mean?!?

And, no, the GT4088 won't make 1000 rwhp. Garrett's website says 700 fw max and you wouldn't make it that far because of the large displacement.
Sorry, sometimes my mind goes faster than my fingers. And I meant my power curve on a dyno graph.

And yeah, I got it, several people have said that it won't. So I say again, how about a recommendation of something that can efficiently make 800wheel, then drop the boost a little and do 600?
Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...how about a recommendation of something that can efficiently make 800wheel, then drop the boost a little and do 600?
The GT4202 is a good choice for that.

Quick Reply: GT4088R Questions...