Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ninetres 1st track day 2009; Bracket car??? lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ninetres 1st track day 2009; Bracket car??? lol

Went well all things considered. I need some SERIOUS help on my suspension. I can't seem to get this car to leave.

Famoso Raceway racing from 8pm--2am. Ambient air temps started at ~89* on my first pass, and progressed to about 73* on my third and final pass about 1:30am. HUMID, like gross sticky humid. Track prep wasn't great (from consensus). 400+ cars mostly on street tires

Pass 1: 1.52 60', 10.02 @ 139.xx Left at about 50% effort on the transbrake, spun for ~30ft. Drove straight as an arrow. 11psi cold tire pressue.

Pass 2: 1.56 60', 9.97 @ 137.xx Left at about 75% effort. Spun about 30ft again. 12 psi cold tire pressure. Tapped the rev limiter in 1st (7k rpms)

Pass 3: 1.55 60', 9.97 @ 139.xx Left at ~90% effort. Spun though most of 1st and steered a good bit on the majority of the pass. 10spi cold tire pressure. Tapped the rev limiter in 1st again.

I really only expected a 10.1ish for the night considering my tires and the weather so it was nice to get a couple 9 second passes. My old tires really weren't up for the task, and my suspension definitely needs some fine tuning. I'm going to make some changes before I go back to the track. I'm gonna swap to 3.50's (I know, I know, it will hit the tires even HARDER lol). I need new slicks and would LOVE to hear that a 29x11" hoosier is possible with LOTS of massaging and without mini-tubbing. EDIT----gonna go back to a 28x10.5s MT drag.

Last edited by ninetres; 05-17-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow....nicely done. How much boost....is it just 12psi??? If so that is sick for such low boost #'s. Glad our ST80 is working for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Wow....nicely done. How much boost....is it just 12psi??? If so that is sick for such low boost #'s. Glad our ST80 is working for you.
My boost gauge says 11ish, my tuners laptop reads 12ish when he splices into the vaccum line on my fuel pressure regulator. I usually say 12psi to make my claims on the "conservative side". Car is more like 3700lb+ now too because the driver got outta shape in the last year

I REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYY want to crank the turbo up to 16 or so psi but it won't do me any good until the car 60's and 330's well.

Quick question: Do you think my 44mm tial WG is nearly adequate....considering my exhaust volume and relatively low boost setting???? I know bigger would be better but is it overly small? I'd hate to spend the big dough on a 60mm and the fabrication money to have the tube and flange enlarged. lol
Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you getting some boost creep? i guess if you were tring to keep the boost down, then maybe!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:21 AM

a 28 is all you need. Get the suspension dialed with a new set of 28's! what are you running for a boost controller? you should be foot to the floor on the transbreak if you have a decent controller that will have a launch stage on.

i just got home from the track, it was 45 degrees out side and the track was junk and i had to pedel it to keep it off the back bumper.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
are you getting some boost creep? i guess if you were tring to keep the boost down, then maybe!
Not creep......but sometimes my boost reading on my AEM tru-boost jumps all around real fast between 10.9-->12.X. The pull is real consistent though. I am not using the AEM for boost management right now. It is just plumbed for boost reading. It is not plumbed to control my WG. I double checked all of the vacuum and wiring diagrams and can't seem to figure it out. I'M GONNA PULL IT OFF IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS AND MAKE A FEW PULLS WITH AN ANALOG BOOST GAUGE i HAVE LAYING AROUND. (sorry caps). If it stays consistent, I will re-install the AEM and program it for 12psi and see if it calms down.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
a 28 is all you need. Get the suspension dialed with a new set of 28's! what are you running for a boost controller? you should be foot to the floor on the transbreak if you have a decent controller that will have a launch stage on.

i just got home from the track, it was 45 degrees out side and the track was junk and i had to pedel it to keep it off the back bumper.
My boost controller doesn't have that feature but I plan on adding a 2-step at some point this summer. I'm gonna get some new tires. Are stiff sidewalls still the hot ticket? I didn't have good luck with them last time I used them but my suspension has never really got dialed on this car. PS--My car is 3700+ raceready.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ninetres
My boost controller doesn't have that feature but I plan on adding a 2-step at some point this summer. I'm gonna get some new tires. Are stiff sidewalls still the hot ticket? I didn't have good luck with them last time I used them but my suspension has never really got dialed on this car. PS--My car is 3700+ raceready.

yea you need to run a stif for sure. a 2step will help but the issue is let's say you set your 2step at 3700, it might make 3psi at 3700 but as it sits on 3700 it will climb! I grudge race my car so i need to have a launch stage. This way i can sit on the break for 20 sec and still only be at a certin boost level ( not that i would put the car on the break for that long)

here is a vid from last month, 4500 dollar race i gave the monte the "hit" which means I don't leave the line till he does (sit and wait till he moves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vx0...eature=related

btw the reason why everyone went nuts was the car rode the left wall and was about a foot away from the wall and way out of shape but hard to see in the vid.

and my car is 3500 raceweight
Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

yea you need to run a stif for sure. a 2step will help but the issue is let's say you set your 2step at 3700, it might make 3psi at 3700 but as it sits on 3700 it will climb! I grudge race my car so i need to have a launch stage. This way i can sit on the break for 20 sec and still only be at a certin boost level ( not that i would put the car on the break for that long)

here is a vid from last month, 4500 dollar race i gave the monte the "hit" which means I don't leave the line till he does (sit and wait till he moves)

btw the reason why everyone went nuts was the car rode the left wall and was about a foot away from the wall and way out of shape but hard to see in the vid.

What do you use for a boost controller?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 AM

What do you use for a boost controller?
i use an EXILE (speed inc has them). its a very nice unit, I know alot of people like the eboost and i think it has similar features.

here is the car on a UNPREPED track! ( that was the event 500 buy in and no prep past the 50 foot mark) track was real bad! 1st race two cars wrecked into each other.

but here is the car using the boost ramp feature on the controller to get it down the track..

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3..._boostedgt.flv
Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 AM
9 Second Club

i use an EXILE (speed inc has them). its a very nice unit, I know alot of people like the eboost and i think it has similar features.

here is the car on a UNPREPED track! ( that was the event 500 buy in and no prep past the 50 foot mark) track was real bad! 1st race two cars wrecked into each other.

but here is the car using the boost ramp feature on the controller to get it down the track..

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3..._boostedgt.flv
SPENDY!!! Do you use a 2 step as well or just the controller?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like your car has a real life fast forward button because that beast made up some ground real quick
Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What were your 1/8th mile times and what suspension work do you have done?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

fanta what turbo are you runnin? it sure leaves nice! how many pounds of boost you ussually leave?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 AM

SPENDY!!! Do you use a 2 step as well or just the controller?
i use both 2step and controller. boost controller is wired with the transbreak so that it sits in "launch" stage when the car is on the break
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

I was at Famoso also (pitted a couple over from Nate /w Cobra's trailer), I think you were on the other side, with customers black 02 Z06 (427 LS7 n/a - 6spd) and I think track prep was alot of the issue you were having getting the car sorted....

Track was junk in my opinion. I had the two step set to 4400 first pass and just blew the tires off to a 1.98 60 ft.

2nd pass two step at 4100: Still blew tires off and went 1.87 60'

3rd pass two step at 3800. Dead hooked but two step was too low to pull a 1.4-1.5 60' so it went 11.1 @ 127 /w a 1.62 60ft..

You basically left on everything the track would hold...300 street tire cars doesnt make for good traction..
Old 05-17-2009, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
What were your 1/8th mile times and what suspension work do you have done?
6.44ish at 110 or 111. The car went 6.20s last season.

Older model madman tq arm
PAracing K member
Strange double adjustables all the way around
300lb QA1 drag spring up front, stock v6 spring in back (I think lol)
double adjustable spherical rod end LCAs and panhard
LCA relocation brackets on lowest hole
SFCs
wolfe anti roll bar
10 pt roll cage

I think my pinion angle is -2. On my last pass my rear shocks were on 3/3, and my front compression was on 9 and my rebound was on 0. My front coil is damn near coil bound though. I had to adjust the spring almost all the way up or else the front end was REAL low. Can that hurt me??? Or does that makes the spring "pop up" even more?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 PM

6.44ish at 110 or 111. The car went 6.20s last season.

Older model madman tq arm
PAracing K member
Strange double adjustables all the way around
300lb QA1 drag spring up front, stock v6 spring in back (I think lol)
double adjustable spherical rod end LCAs and panhard
LCA relocation brackets on lowest hole
SFCs
wolfe anti roll bar
10 pt roll cage

I think my pinion angle is -2. On my last pass my rear shocks were on 3/3, and my front compression was on 9 and my rebound was on 0. My front coil is damn near coil bound though. I had to adjust the spring almost all the way up or else the front end was REAL low. Can that hurt me??? Or does that makes the spring "pop up" even more?
i have that same issue with the front springs and so does my buddy andy (lastls1). your suspension seems to be right tho, how old are your tires?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

i have that same issue with the front springs and so does my buddy andy (lastls1). your suspension seems to be right tho, how old are your tires?
1 year old , probably 4 tack passes last year, a couple hundred street miles and 6 or 8 street races that require a SOLID 2 or 3 burnouts . They had life left in the wear holes. They were dismounted from October to last week, sitting in my garage.

I'm gonna switch back to the 28x10.5s MT next time I go out though. Gonna be awhile because I have started a parts list that is already getting expensive. I really think 3.50s will wake the car up to. It traps in the 5,000rpm range.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM

1 year old , probably 4 tack passes last year, a couple hundred street miles and 6 or 8 street races that require a SOLID 2 or 3 burnouts . They had life left in the wear holes. They were dismounted from October to last week, sitting in my garage.

I'm gonna switch back to the 28x10.5s MT next time I go out though. Gonna be awhile because I have started a parts list that is already getting expensive. I really think 3.50s will wake the car up to. It traps in the 5,000rpm range.
yea , i put on a new set of tires at the start of every season. Once they sit for a while they are done, and street use and burn outs KILL tires.

get a fresh set, try not to drive on them or do burnouts on the street.

i run 3.50's.... there was a real fast guy on here that was running 2.08's or something for the LOAD! you sure you don't want to try that?

Quick Reply: Ninetres 1st track day 2009; Bracket car??? lol