Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Got the car Dyno'd, something isn't right

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Got the car Dyno'd, something isn't right

I know my biggest issue is that I don't have a real fuel system built and that I am relying on meth to make up for it. The dip in lower rpm is caused by going super fat when the meth it. The car has 3.25 gears so in a 4th gear pull the controller can not ramp slow enough to spread out the extra fuel. It hits full boost at 3,000rpm at which point the meth injection is at full tilt.

My biggest question is where is all my power and what the hell happens after 6200rpm. I think this pull was made at 14.8psi with 20* of timing. The A/F was at 11.6 at 6200rpm then started dropping with the power. It made the about the same power at 12.3psi (520rwhp I think). The mustang dyno I was on is known for being stingy. It would probably read about 50 more rwhp on a dynojet. From the reading and research I did I was expecting 12psi with my combo to be around 700rwhp (or 650ish on this dyno) and trap speeds in the mid to high 130s. Also was thinking I would max out the turbo at around 16psi.

So I know the 1st thing I need to do is build a fuel system capable of supporting all the power on its own with no help from meth.

What could cause it to lose power like that?
Could it be

My cam 239*/234*, .639"/.629" 115lsa
Floating valves
Boost leak (the boost didn't fall)

I am lost, any ideas

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Well, I'm sure the majority of your problems will be solved once your fuel system can keep up with the turbo.

Also, just because some guy's setup got so-and-so whp doesn't mean you'll get the exact same numbers. There are so many little things that contribute to power loss/gain.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

I know it isn't going to be perfect, but it should be close maybe within 50hp.

Here is another graph with the A/f, I leaned it out on the next pull and it helped a little. I tried to fix more on the next pull and went to far. I couldn't get it right so I gave up. I don't know enough about tuning to be adjusting stuff anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

700RWHP on 12-14psi seems a little generous to me, but regardless. I think your issue is the fuel system, meth is just really a bandaid and isn't really meant to make up for lack of injector. You need to get that dip taken care off and a good fuel system and you'll probably be where you want.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must be looking at the wrong graph or something because I don't see a lack of fuel.

EDIT- Just went back and read the first post about the meth causing the fat condition. So, are you using the meth to adjust your AFR? Or are you using some tuning software? If tuning software, which one? Did you get any logs? What is the current inj duty cycle at 6,200 RPM? What intake setup are running?

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 05-22-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

It gets way to much in the beginning which is an easy fix with a proper fuel system. But why does the power fall off like that?

Is 12-14 psi to get 700rwhp on a dynojet really wishful thinking?

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I must be looking at the wrong graph or something because I don't see a lack of fuel.

EDIT- Just went back and read the first post about the meth causing the fat condition. So, are you using the meth to adjust your AFR? Or are you using some tuning software? If tuning software, which one? Did you get any logs? What is the current inj duty cycle at 6,200 RPM? What intake setup are running?
I only have enough fuel to run 8psi without meth. The 48lb injectors were at 78% duty cycle. Once I installed the meth I just turned up the boost until the A/F was back to low 11s. TheBlurLS1 tunes the car for me but he couldn't make it the the shop today. He uses HPTuners. The injectors are screaming at like 130% not doing any good. I have a Fast 90/NW90 intake with TEA stage 3 6.0 heads( I think they flow 320cfm)

Last edited by Sluggish; 05-22-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell those injectors and get some new ones and give it another shot with an adjusted tune.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Sell those injectors and get some new ones and give it another shot with an adjusted tune.
I wish it was that easy, but I need to buy a completely new system. Another pump, injectors, lines, fittings, filters, regulator. I priced it out at around $1300. Unfortunately work has slowed way down and I'm not comfortable spending that much money right now.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

New injectors will be better than nothing. That is something that can be purchased and put on easily, giving you more fuel. I'm assuming you have a walrbo?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sluggish

Is 12-14 psi to get 700rwhp on a dynojet really wishful thinking?

No, not at all. Check out the last dyno run from this car at 12.4 psi of boost. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29 Bob
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you said the boost stayed up so not likely boost leak. Easiest way to test for boost leaks are automotive smoke machines.
Valve float well you have a lot of lift.What springs are you running ?
Mustangs read low.I hate them as on local one they had if first reading lower then dynojet,then said they set it to be same as dynojet then set it to be where they felt it should be according to their personal taste. Guys got dynos of same car all over the place. Forget that. I would go to dynojet and thats that.

I do think you should be able to get 700rwhp out of it. Hope to dyno my car and hope to see at least 600 to 650rwhp with 8psi or so and hoping to see 700s at 12s.
Course have bigger engine not sure what heads you are running..Seems like you have a lot of timing..any chance you had a lot of knock retard happening. But with meth thought you wouldn't get that?

What about other things.Is this auto or stick car? If stick slipping clutch maybe. If auto well maybe trans problems. especially if not a built 4l60.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well you said the boost stayed up so not likely boost leak. Easiest way to test for boost leaks are automotive smoke machines.
Mustangs read low.I hate them as on local one they had if first reading lower then dynojet,then said they set it to be same as dynojet then set it to be where they felt it should be according to their personal taste. Guys got dynos of same car all over the place. Forget that. I would go to dynojet and thats that.

I do think you should be able to get 700rwhp out of it. Hope to dyno my car and hope to see at least 600 to 650rwhp with 8psi or so and hoping to see 700s at 12s.
Course have bigger engine not sure what heads you are running..Seems like you have a lot of timing..any chance you had a lot of knock retard happening. But with meth thought you wouldn't get that?

What about other things.Is this auto or stick car? If stick slipping clutch maybe. If auto well maybe trans problems. especially if not a built 4l60.
The car is a 6 speed with a Mcleod street twin with 700 miles on it. It isn't slipping. I'm not sure what springs are in the car. When I ordered the motor the offer these hand ported 6.0 liter heads that flowed 320cfm, so I took them. After picking up the motor and getting it home I noticed the TEA emblem on the heads. I looked them up and the only 6.0 liter head the offer is the Stage 3. But my build sheet list Manley springs but the TEA website says Gold Duals. So I really know what I have. It wasn't getting any knock on the pulls.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
No, not at all. Check out the last dyno run from this car at 12.4 psi of boost. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29 Bob
Holy **** that is some nice power there
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

There are standard settings for Mustang Chassis Dyno's that put them right on. That is how we have ours set up. Check this car's 1/4 mile time out, where he ran the 1/4 mile on our dyno, then ran his car at the Texas Motorplex two days later. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=44 Bob
Old 05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Holy **** that is some nice power there
Thanks, this V is extremely fast, it's a fun car to drive. Check this video out. http://vimeo.com/4192845 Bob
Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

I wish it was that easy, but I need to buy a completely new system. Another pump, injectors, lines, fittings, filters, regulator. I priced it out at around $1300. Unfortunately work has slowed way down and I'm not comfortable spending that much money right now.
Hey bud, I got a set of seimens 60lbers that should be enough for your set-up. They were good on my d1 set-up which made 680rwhp @ 14psi and the injectors still had more in them. They only have less than 500 miles and I just took them out last week so they are fresh. My new f2 made 26 psi so needless to say I had to go bigger. I'll let the 60s go for cheep, $250 shipped and they are yours. PM me if your interested.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish it was that easy, but I need to buy a completely new system. Another pump, injectors, lines, fittings, filters, regulator. I priced it out at around $1300.
You don't need all of that, all you need is another pump and bigger injectors. Look at how much I'm making on my dual pump big injector setup. I'm still on the stock returnless system with the same lines and rails.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
You don't need all of that, all you need is another pump and bigger injectors. Look at how much I'm making on my dual pump big injector setup. I'm still on the stock returnless system with the same lines and rails.
Yea I know, that is why I PM'ed you yesterday after posting this and reading your thread.

Besides the obvious fuel issue, My biggest question is why is the power falling off.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

520 to 700 could easily be just two different dynos. If your chasing a dyno number, save yourself some money and just change the correction till it reads out 700.....

If your tuning the car, spend some time on the same dyno, then take it to a track to test the results.

I dont understand the need to do a fuel system? Plenty of cars are making 700+ on stock fuel systems....you can too then. Zombie is at 98% duty cycle on 96 lb hr injectors now on e85.....with a stock 100k mile fuel system except for two pumps.

Plenty of cars running 60's in the 600 hp area on stock systems with one pump. Didnt louis make mid 800's with 60's and meth? He admitted it was living on the meth at the time to around 160 hp though I think.

I was told of car dynoing 515 or something just yesterday, in about a 3200 lb f body...then it went to the track and ran 12.5's@108ish.....with 1.7 60's. Then there are 1500 rwhp vettes (lol) that reportedly run 8's @140, and zombiess car that makes in the 500's on the dyno but runs 10.0 @136 at 3890 lbs. Dynos = worthless, and I own a dyno.

Unless used correctly, and the number means absolutely squat in any case.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well I didn't read everyone's posts, but you are real lean IMO! Meth-Alcohol basicly has twice the burn rate and ideal AFR is safe for gasoline, but not the mixture, if you only have enough fuel for 8 lbs then you shouldn't be able to run much more than that. Meth kits are supposed to keep temps down and give a little octane boost, but not supposed to be a fuel source to rely on for power, but basicly you put the air in and you need the correct amount of fuel (Gas) to make the power. GL!

Quick Reply: Got the car Dyno'd, something isn't right