Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to buy an STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy an STS kit?

Where is the best place to order an STS turbo kit from? Im looking for an all around good dealer who would be able to help with troubleshooting and has alot of experience in this area. Also what should I be looking at spending? Thanks guys.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

4 to 5 grand, which in reality means 7 to 8 grand. i too want to do the turbo thing someday, but im not rich, never will be, and from what i read on here and understand is you think your going to spend X amount of dollars, but things dictate otherwise. I beleive a new STS turbo WITH handheld tuning and injectors will cost you around 5400.00
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

,,,then you need to forge stuff so you can use the damn thing, buy all the rear end stuff your gonna need after you break your stock stuff, etc, etc.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if this is the best place but these guys have been putting all their sts kits on sale this week: http://www.easttexasmusclecars.com/sts.htm
Old 06-12-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

don't go STS, you want APS. STS is garbage.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I looked at the APS and its really more than I want. Get the kit and you still have to get the k member and other things including messing with the structure of the car(cutting and bending things). Nice but Im really looking for something alittle less complicated that can be removed fairly easily. Im also not looking for a blower. I had an ATI Procharger on a mustang and want something different. Got tired of the belt issues. I have searched on this site till Im seeing double, alot of good info. Im not worried about polishing the finished product, looks like with the new design they have worked out a few of the issues with the old setup. I like what I see so far and the videos from owners have looked good.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sts i garbage. go with a front mount kit (tti makes a decent street kit) or a maggie.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

i have an STS kit, dont get me wrong...it works, and its a quick easy way to get F.I. but im wishing now i had done more research and found either the TTI kit or the KYTP kit before i bought the STS..both of those front mounts are good set ups..my best advice is do your research before buying..im quite sure u know that, i just dont want to see somebody make the same mistake i did and rush into buying.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

The TTI is like $6600 and then you still have to get your fuel system and tuning software. Instead of saying the STS is junk, hows about also saying why you think it is. The oiling setup, pcv setup, what? Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

like i mentioned..its a good kit, and it does work...even though my lag time isnt as bad as some may think, i feel it would be better if i had the turbo up front...forced induction is not cheap as u may know, but its well worth it in the end...some people are scetched out by the oiling system, but it works, ive found that driving around with the return pump on low leaves me with lower than desireable oil pressure, so i leave it on high and i have no issues with it...mainly its every bodys own opinion...i havent had any major issues with it and it has done what ive wanted it to quite well....good luck with your build man...
Old 06-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by davidbakergli
don't go STS, you want APS. STS is garbage.
funny because aps turbos grenade like us troops in iraq.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder
The TTI is like $6600 and then you still have to get your fuel system and tuning software. Instead of saying the STS is junk, hows about also saying why you think it is. The oiling setup, pcv setup, what? Thanks for the replies so far.
the hotter the air the more of it there is, and by placing the turbo in the back allot of heat is lost by the time the exhaust gases get to the back of the car. and it does not really matter how much you wrap/coat your pipes, heat is still going to be lost. and that is going to hurt the spool time.

that is why no production turbo car has a turbo hanging of the back.

and if you think 6600 bucks is allot, i you should reconsider going FI.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jb7241986
funny because aps turbos grenade like us troops in iraq.
aps is a very clean, well engineered kit. it has it's problems, but nothing that can't be fixed.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
aps is a very clean, well engineered kit. it has it's problems, but nothing that can't be fixed.
can't the same be said of the STS? Everyone has their opinion of the kit, I have one with the GT67 is it the best? No. But it works and works well.

I've owned many turbo cars including one of the 1st tti kits for the f-body w/t60 it's a nice kit but as far as lag and spooling couldn't notice a difference. Only complaint of the tti kit is that they're top dollar and for that amount should be ceramic coated in my opinion.

I have a hard time spending $5000-$7000 on anything, I bought my STS kit with front mount, GT67, 42lb injectors, AEM wideband for $2500 shipped, kit had 800 miles on it, owner bought a new Corvette. I would have bought a TTI kit or another kit if I could have got the same kind of deal. My point is everyone of these kits is a good deal used for the right price. Here's how I look at it compared to new for the same money, I've been able to install a performabuilt lvl 2, 3200 stall, 799 heads, turbo grind cam all for about what I new kit cost.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

LOL, I appreciate you guys input on the system im considering but im pretty sure I want an STS system. I know the expenses and have been around a few forced induction platforms in my day. Im looking for simplicty which the STS offers and IMO the others dont. Ive got a 2000 SS with 20K miles and am not interested in hacking it up or doing something to it that is irriversible. To me the STS is like putting on an exhaust system but it adds over 100hp. Im sure the others are more aggresive and will be supreme on a drag strip but honestly thats not what it will be used for. Its a sunny day cruiser that I can have alittle fun in. Like I said earlier, ive seen plenty of videos on the STS and none of them have any problems performing in an impressive manner for a rear mount turbo system.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

You could always keep your eye out for a deal on a used system.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Theres one on fleabay with an upgraded turbo right now.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The KYTP turbo kit with a TC76 or TC78 is only 3700 new and can make anywhere from 500-750RWHP with ease

The STS kit comes with a junk *** $500 60mm turbo, no intercooler and gay oil pump and costs alot more.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

The KYTP requires modification of too much stuff under the hood. Theres also alot more to buy and fab after that 3700. What about the STS turbo is junk, 60mm?, only $500?. The newly designed kit from STS comes with an intercooler now also.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike13
can't the same be said of the STS? Everyone has their opinion of the kit, I have one with the GT67 is it the best? No. But it works and works well.

I've owned many turbo cars including one of the 1st tti kits for the f-body w/t60 it's a nice kit but as far as lag and spooling couldn't notice a difference. Only complaint of the tti kit is that they're top dollar and for that amount should be ceramic coated in my opinion.

I have a hard time spending $5000-$7000 on anything, I bought my STS kit with front mount, GT67, 42lb injectors, AEM wideband for $2500 shipped, kit had 800 miles on it, owner bought a new Corvette. I would have bought a TTI kit or another kit if I could have got the same kind of deal. My point is everyone of these kits is a good deal used for the right price. Here's how I look at it compared to new for the same money, I've been able to install a performabuilt lvl 2, 3200 stall, 799 heads, turbo grind cam all for about what I new kit cost.
799 heads ? what motor are they from ?

i just hope the guy takes all the advise he gets here in to consideration before buying a kit.

Quick Reply: Where to buy an STS kit?