Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin-screw for LS1??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twin-screw for LS1??

Does anyone manufacture kits for the LS1 that will mount a twin-screw supercharger in place of the intake ala the Magnuson kits??

I know Magnacharger makes twin-screw kits for the Truck engines, but they mount them off to the side.

How different are the eaton vs. whipple superchargers (physically)?? Would it be possible to piece together a twin-screw kit, maybe using the Magnacharger lower intake along with a twin-screw from another manufacturer?? Anyone done it?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Magnachargers are a roots type supercharger.Magnacharger builds a hotrod kit similar to the one for the Corvette with a front intake entry,the truck kit uses a rear intake entry.Eaton,the manufacturer of the Magnacharger also builds twinscrew superchargers for Whipple,I've considered doing just what you are discussing with my truck.The result would be similar to Kenne Bell Blowzilla upgrade for Cobras and Lightnings.

Last edited by whitt1; 11-17-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whitt1
Magnachargers are a roots type supercharger.Magnacharger builds a hotrod kit similar to the one for the Corvette with a front intake entry,the truck kit uses a rear intake entry.Eaton,the manufacturer of the Magnacharger also builds twinscrew superchargers for Whipple,I've considered doing just what you are discussing with my truck.The result would be similar to Kenne Bell Blowzilla upgrade for Cobras and Lightnings.
Have you researched it at all to figure out what it would take?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by grooves12
Have you researched it at all to figure out what it would take?
This Australian company makes the lower intake for the LS1 but it doesn't have an intercooler built into it.
http://www.forcedairtech.com.au/genkit.htm
Remember those prices are in Australian dollars so the prices converted should be more like:
$2000 AUD = $1403.50 USA (Bottom intake only)
$4250 AUD = $2982.45 USA (2.0L full setup)
$4650 AUD = $3263.15 USA (2.6L full setup)
At the current exchange rate.

It's been put on a Holden Monaro which is what the GTO will be based on.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/mexiwi/files/100_0020_1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/mexiwi/files/100_0022_1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/mexiwi/files/100_0023_1.jpg

I tried really hard to get some intrest in this supercharger on the corvetteforum, but it didn't get far.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=685239
All of the sponsors already have supercharger kits to push and probably don't want to go out on a limb with another kit.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
This Australian company makes the lower intake for the LS1 but it doesn't have an intercooler built into it.
I wouldn't really worry about an intercooler on a lysholm screw compressor untill I passed 10psi or so.they are much more efficient than any other blower out there and put little heat in the intake charge.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

What about clearance on a f-body? Has one been fitted to see if it would clear the wiper cowl?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
What about clearance on a f-body? Has one been fitted to see if it would clear the wiper cowl?
Just from looking at the case, it looks like it's just as big as a magnacharger which is too big to fit under the cowl.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm really surprised no company has thought to make a Twin screw for the LS1s. I mean I know the mods to get it to work would be significant, including, most likely, a new hood. But damn the power those things put down it seems someone would want to cross that bridge at some point. It's crazy what a screw can do for a little 4.6, imagine what it would do on a forged and fully built 5.7! Hopefully by the time I out grow the D1 there will be a kit available that I can pick up.

Mike
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Both Whipple and Kenny Bell make side mount twin screw setup for the truck based ls1's. A guy over in the truck section has made a intercooled Whipple.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Both Whipple and Kenny Bell make side mount twin screw setup for the truck based ls1's. A guy over in the truck section has made a intercooled Whipple.
Side mount? Cn you explain further? Pictures would be cool.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Check the links below for pics and info on the truck-based twin-screw kits.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1136
http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...0/hummer60.htm
Old 11-20-2003, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

I wouls just use one of these kits in my application, but unfortunately its a LS1 conversion into a 1970 Chevelle, and I will be mounting the AC compressor in the location both of these kits use for the Supercharger, so I need something that replaces the intake ala the Magnacharger. (Plus they are both BUTT-UGLY... whereas the Magnacharger looks pretty elegant.)

The Australian kit looks interesting, but Im not sure whhat to think about the build quality of the lower intake manifold they are using, and I don't know how much re-engineering their "kit" would take. Does anyone have any info on some Holden message boards where I can find some info on someone that has actually used their products??
Old 11-20-2003, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From the pics, it looks like one could run one of those truck sidemount setups with a few modications to piping and brackets. Someone should give it a try.

Quick Reply: Twin-screw for LS1??