Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What problems did you have???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What problems did you have???

I havent seen this thread anywhere, maybe I missed it but just getting an idea of the most common problems and the fix's for FI cars.

For instance, if you changed heads and put in the z06 cam, did you have intake leaks improper PR lengths head gasket not seal, really any range of problems you had with your FI installs and builds, might make a good reference for people trying to get their car started for the first time.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest problem seems to be tires.For some reason they seem to keep going up in smoke thru most of my gears!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

turbo leaking oil
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I broke my turbo twice. I think it had to be that the turbo was junk or not spec'd right, because the kit is now in another car and that car runs quicker and more boost at the track.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where to begin
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

i'll play:
broke/ wore out
(1) header gasket
(1) #7 piston
(1) LS1 block-cracked
(1) rear main seal
(1) drive shaft
(2) 4l60e transmissions
(1) Vig Torque Convertor
(1) D1sc Procharger
(1) 10 bolt rear
(6) drag radials (on the same front tires)

As far as general problems go, ive popped off the intake hats a couple times, had a little belt slip but aside from that, not too much. Just get ready to spend
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

i'll play:
broke/ wore out
(1) header gasket
(1) #7 piston
(1) LS1 block-cracked
(1) rear main seal
(1) drive shaft
(2) 4l60e transmissions
(1) Vig Torque Convertor
(1) D1sc Procharger
(1) 10 bolt rear

As far as general problems go, ive popped off the intake hats a couple times, had a little belt slip but aside from that, not too much. Just get ready to spend
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Stupid alt relocation brackets until I bought smokinhawks.

I also blew up the tranny (t400) twice. Planetaries the first time & blew out the case the second time.

Melted a rad fan motor before the turbo blanket.

that's all I can think of now.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
My biggest problem seems to be tires.For some reason they seem to keep going up in smoke thru most of my gears!
hahaha ***!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
i'll play:
broke/ wore out
(1) header gasket
(1) #7 piston
(1) LS1 block-cracked
(1) rear main seal
(1) drive shaft
(2) 4l60e transmission(s) LOL
(1) Vig Torque Convertor
(1) D1sc Procharger
(1) 10 bolt rear

I like the tranny problem(s)
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Oil leaks
Cracks in home made log after LONG highway pulls
broke 4l80es
tires
lost one stock 5.3 shot block, #5 ring land let go
horrible fuel economy, cant keep my foot out of it lol
Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously put 5000 miles on my new 408 with the APS TT kit. Never pushed boost past 7.5psi spring. Getting used to that power level first. Estimated 600 to 650rwhp on current for few weeks t56.

I babied my 10 bolt until put in my dana 60. I have tex twin clutch and it seems fine at current hp level. Stock clutch of course wouldn't have a prayer.
I had a cracked internal turbo housing caught it right at start up of the new 408 and new tt kit. I have run my turbos oil cooled only since then. So far they are still working.

I did have problems with plug wires. I got 200 buck granatelli and they were crap as far as I am concerned. Their 1200 degree boots still burnt right thr and it was hard to twist them on or off the plugs and they usually came apart at the terminal to plug end. Junk!
I now run GMPP wires in stock heat shields. No problems since. I was running on 6 or so cylinders for a bit with the fubared wires. Happened twice to me until as said went to stock wires and stock shields.
I had one near overheat ,didn't boil over.I was playing with fuel and timing, pretty sure really went overboard on leaning it out and timing was too low or too high. Car hit about 250 and shut it down. Been fine since but I don't run air much and it dont' get that hot usually up here. We might get a week of plus 90 but I don' have to drive the TT then have other daily drivers. I do plan on beter water pump,new rad next season maybe better fans see how it goes.

I have the little aps kit problems. Inlet tubes can suck shut at higher boost,stented them open but may need to extend stents or do something else since guy on here says his are sucking shut again with the stents.
I am not running my sway bar yet need to use spacer and shorten endlink no big deal.

I have not had any big turbo failures except for that cracked housing in the one I mentioned.It let coolant mix into oil but not vice versa. And as said got it within few minutes of start up. Glad buddy was constantly checking the oil for me.

I built forged engine right off the bat. Didn't bother to try to keep stock one together. I got turbo cam used ahead of time for the 408 build. I did break in the car on stock fuel pump with 60 pound injectors so didn't go WOT until got new twin pump full meal deal fuel setup from Lonnie..great guy to deal with by the way.

I learned to tune my car with hptuners for year or so when it was NA. I haven't had too much problem switching it over to 3 bar SD. Its running decent can always tweak a bit more and we have no load bearing ,no dyno at all in my city have to drive to sister city to dyno tune and track the car.

I also made sure to have proper instrumentation. I have aeroforce gauges to monitor knock and things like that all the time ,don't need laptop in the car . I can also add sensors to the aeroforce guages like fuel pressure ,nitrous pressure and wideband . Three that am adding for now. Later can add egt, trans temp maybe oil temp. Each aeroforce can handle 2 additional sensor inputs. They match my lighting well too and just look super cool. you can even set them for shift light, warning light for knock,etc and they can even run 1/4 mile times.They are awesome.

So thats about it. Seriously only problem is keeping my foot out of it, have had my a$$hole puckered a few times when the car broke loose at like 70mph on the not that fresh nittos. and have 360'd the car on colder roads last fall when accidentally gave it a bit too much throttle and car went into boost .Luckily road had light traffic no harm done.But you have to respect a car with this kind of power and torque or it can kill you or others. Or land you in jail for a very long time if you are really stupid with it.
I have not been stopped by the cops except for once and cop said he was looking for guy driving a red car who was firing off a gun in the city limits. Maybe that was true maybe he wanted a peak at the car,he was young guy so you never know. I am not subtle either. Car has the 1000hp plate..that was to be my original goal in engine hp but now it should be attainable rear wheel without too much trouble. And have twin turbo emblems on the back bumper and on the sides.
I think the plate and emblems actually keep people from racing me most of the time. Sure some might want me to hit it just to see what a car like this goes like. Some are just stupid. But most give it a wide berth and realize that it could have that type of power and don't want to look stupid in front of their bros or girlfriends,wives,whatever.

Overally am happy with my car and build .What I like about FI especially turbos is how streetable the car is off boost. A pussycat off boost and a tiger on it.A built 408 is no slouch even non boosted and even at 9.5 to 1 but add on the boost and well it has made many supposedly brave people white with fear already at current power.

And have not even used the spray yet.

So sorry to write a novel but I type fast as heck and like to be thorough.

Quick Reply: What problems did you have???