Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help!l STS Oil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!l STS Oil Problem

Hey guys, it seems I am having a few oiling issues with my STS turbo kit. Ill give you the full story in short, I bought the kit from someone locally, the kit was brand new boxes never opened everything still sealed etc…so its believed to be legit. Finally got time to put it all together and I started it up today for the first time. After running it for a few minutes I shut it down and noticed oil was leaking out where the exhaust and turbine housing meet (connected with supplied V-Band clamp) the oil leaking out is a thicker, brownish color (probably from air/exhaust?). I will include pics. I am not sure whats going on here, everything is hooked up correctly per STS instructions, the STS scavenge pump seems to be returning the oil back to the filler cap like it should but im left with a bunch of oil inside the turbine and exhaust exit. Anyone have a clue whats going on? I have no idea if it’s a faulty seal inside the turbo or if the scavenge pump itself is not returning the oil quick enough or maybe an entirely different problem… Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.
<P>

<P>

<P>

Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that is a killer leak!!!!! I had a decent leak on mine. I did the check valve with a restrictor an im good now, No more leaks.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

where did you place the check valve? which restrictor did you use? This shouldnt be happening ya know...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check valve goes in the oil feed line near the turbo, are you noticing the leak after you shut the car off? Usually thats a tail tail sign of needing the check valve. I would try that before the restrictor.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

was this check valve part of the kit? i dont remember seeing one supplied.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

and yes the leak was noticed after shutting the car down
Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

yes check valve is part of the kit, it's a brass fitting assembly the oil line screws into right before entering the turbo.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mike13
yes check valve is part of the kit, it's a brass fitting assembly the oil line screws into right before entering the turbo.
thats weird i dont remember seeing that! ill have to order another one, do you think this could be the cause of this leak? so youre saying the check valve inserts inside of the steel braided oil line that connects to the turbo oil inlet?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

talked to STS they think its a check valve issue as well, they say the valve is already "pre-mounted" to the turbo inlet so i couldnt have missed it. ill have to check it out when i get home to see if thats the case. STS also sent me instructions for breaking down the check valve, testing it, and cleaning it. I will test it out see if it solves my problems
Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

its the check valve... use this one as a replacement. When it goes bad, it will pool oil in the turbo when the car is off
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

saved it, may end up ordering one just in case thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Launching!

That's definately a check valve issue! The check valve goes on the braided line going to the top of the turbo, mine actually has an arrow on it to indicate the flow path.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
mcx
Staging Lane

which check valve would be better? Buna or the Floroelastermer seat type??
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, I'd inspect the check valve too. You can test it my blowing compressed air into it. The valve is rated to open at a fairly low PSI (around 5-10). It also looks like water is mixing with the oil. Probably condensation from the pipes, but worth checking.

BTW, if you keep having oil probs, this thread might help ya'
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to get it working with those instructions that sts sent you. I would repair the old one and carry it with you as a spare. Also it is not recommended to use a restrictor for any of STS's turbo's. They said that they have had many turbo's come back to them with oil starvation issues caused by using restrictors. If you pick the wrong size restrictor you wont know until you kill the bearings in your turbo. Follow the oil return routing instructions and as long as the scavenger pump is working you should not have any oiling issues. Hope you get your check valve fixed.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

I've heard some people have had issues with the scavenge pump losing prime when the return hose is run over the axle. The pump may be running but not actually pumping anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

I'd say check valve... I orderd my sts kit and they said it was pre installed on the turbo but it wasn't.. I upgraded the turbo and when they drop shipped it there were no fittings on the turbo..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Sts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Yep, I'd inspect the check valve too. You can test it my blowing compressed air into it. The valve is rated to open at a fairly low PSI (around 5-10). It also looks like water is mixing with the oil. Probably condensation from the pipes, but worth checking.

BTW, if you keep having oil probs, this thread might help ya'
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ust-pipes.html
yep they gave good directions on testing it, only instead of using compressed air you use your tongue as suction! ha ha and thank youi saved that thread.

Originally Posted by TURBO6.0L
You should be able to get it working with those instructions that sts sent you. I would repair the old one and carry it with you as a spare. Also it is not recommended to use a restrictor for any of STS's turbo's. They said that they have had many turbo's come back to them with oil starvation issues caused by using restrictors. If you pick the wrong size restrictor you wont know until you kill the bearings in your turbo. Follow the oil return routing instructions and as long as the scavenger pump is working you should not have any oiling issues. Hope you get your check valve fixed.
Yep its nice to know where to get a replacement in case i ever need one. thanks a lot bud

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
I've heard some people have had issues with the scavenge pump losing prime when the return hose is run over the axle. The pump may be running but not actually pumping anything.
it seems to be working fine...for now, over the axel is a specific direction from STS, they really want you to run it that way.

Originally Posted by spaz1
I'd say check valve... I orderd my sts kit and they said it was pre installed on the turbo but it wasn't.. I upgraded the turbo and when they drop shipped it there were no fittings on the turbo..
thats really weird mine was an upgraded turbo too, but everything came pre installed.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i tested the check valve and it seems to be working just fine and im still having oil problems !! ahh! any other ideas?? i drove on it today and im producing 0lbs of boost and the oil is just burning white smoke out the exhaust!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably is filling your pipes with oil aswell,Pull your charge pipe off an see if oil is in it. I was having the same problem with mine when it feeled my pipes couldnt make boost, I was running self contained oil setup, no changing my setup to feed off the engine i believe instead. Hope you figure it out soon.

Quick Reply: Help!l STS Oil Problem