Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ls6 and maggie question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 and maggie question

Well here is a quick background on the situation - I bought a 05 cts-v with a ls6 and a ported 112 maggie on it-car had headers with full exhaust, 2.5 pulley, .83 ratio rear supercharger drive. Had the car for 4000 miles + or - and cracked 2 pistons. The car has no gauges so not sure if it was fuel pressure issue or ? that caused the issue. thats the bad news...

The good news is that I have to build an engine now and am really on the fence about it and want to get some opinions from people who have experience in this situation. I have searched the forum and can not find the answer i am looking for.

Question is
If I keep the maggie is there much of a difference in the hp/tq curve between a 346 and a 383 to justify the additional price? How many cubic inch and hp will that blower support? or a better question -is there any way I can see 550RWHP out of a cts-v with that supercharger? Or should I get rid of it and build a lsx or Ls7 to hit 550 to 600 RWHP. I dont want to have to buy a different supercharger (and the options are very limited for that car). Does anyone have a proven combination (346,383,402) with a 112 blower that will produce 550RWHP?

Ultimately i have the opportunity to build what i want at this point and a budget does exist but I want a high hp cts-v that will compete with Z06s and Vipers. Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever dyno the car as it was? I would be surprised if you didn't hit 550whp with what you had. I had a 3.1 pulley and GT-7 cam, headers and exhaust and made 520rwhp. I can promise you that if you put a 550rwhp N/A car against a 550rwhp Maggie car, the N/A car will win. I have seen it too many times and can't explain it. When I dyno'd 520rwhp, I raced a stock C6Z with exhaust (dyno'd 465rwhp.) We raced many times and he came around me every time. The Maggie is great fun and very reliable, but if you're trying to race the car or beat on other cars, consider selling it and using the $$ to fund your nice, N/A motor. There is a guy on the Corvette forum making 700+rwhp with his 402 Maggie. He is spinning it something to the tune of 26krpm though. Killer torque down low and still falls off up top due to the lack of it's ability to flow and belt slip. He put a cog setup on the back side and is making ~20psi boost. Haven't seen a dyno since he cogged it, but I don't expect it's falling off so much now.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

unfortunately i never dynoed the car- I never had it long enough before it broke it felt strong no doubt but I dont think i had 550rwhp. I dont race the car-its a pure fun weekend driver. The comment about a n/a car vs a fi car hp for hp is interesting - I never realized one motor would really be quicker then the other when they are matched hp for hp.........
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the shortfall in maggies and other screw blowers is that they run out of effiecency in the upper rpms, while most N/A cars are just hitting their stride in the upper rpm's. Those motors make big tq and hp down low just look at just about any mustang. Thats why there are kits like the Hellion twin charged kits with turbos that kick in the upper rpm where the blower starts to fall off.

To make the power up high I would go to a centrifical blower like a procharger of vortech that increase boost as rpm's go up, or a turbo which is basically the same principal. You could build a forged 347 with a D1SC procharger and make 700rwhp and smoke people.

You could also go bigger cubes like a 383 or 408 iron block and use a F1R and you might not ever see anyone that can keep up with you. The F1 prochargers can support about 1000rwhp.

If your budget allows turbo is the ultimate setup, you could get a gt 76mm turbo that supports upwards of 1000rwhp on a forged 347 with a .98ar for pretty quick spool. The turbo gives you the ultimate adjustability because you can select boost inside the car on the fly with the right components.

this is a good article to read about the difference with maggies compared to other types of blowers:http://www.magnusonproducts.com/blowercomparo.htm
but be careful they dont say what procharger they are using

Last edited by MelScrilla; 09-30-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

N/A is cool but with N/A the name of the game is cubic inches and compression. You can build a ls7 427 or 440 that makes about 700rwhp for street duty on 93 but thats about the max. That setup would probably cost you just as much or more than it would for you to redo the maggie with a forged engine and more boost or sell the maggie and go to another form of FI.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing. Maggies love spray!!! A little 75 shot will add ~100rwhp.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, make sure if you put that combo back on that you are pulling enough timing via IAT correction too. It is likely that it was a combo of pump gas and 220+ degree IAT's and too much timing caused the failure.

When you pull them on the highway the keep falling flatter on every gear change, especially when pulled to the max like that.

If building a 402, ditch that blower and get something different, or just build it NA.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

S-cam do you have pictures of the front and rear pulley setup? The smallest pulley Ive been able to find is a 2.8....
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Right, make sure if you put that combo back on that you are pulling enough timing via IAT correction too. It is likely that it was a combo of pump gas and 220+ degree IAT's and too much timing caused the failure.

When you pull them on the highway the keep falling flatter on every gear change, especially when pulled to the max like that.

Quick Reply: ls6 and maggie question