Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

new prochargers can be ordered with helical gears=quiet

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new prochargers can be ordered with helical gears=quiet

Just saw on their site you can order p1 and d1 prochargers now with helical cut gears that should be quiet. You can still order the old straight cut gears too.
Should be a good option for those wanting a sleeper.
Has anyone tried it?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

so this takes away thine whining noise ?
if so, gay....
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDK, maybe it's just me but why the hell would you want to muffle the sound of pure sex under the hood?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxxsilveradoxxx
idk, maybe it's just me but why the hell would you want to muffle the sound of pure sex under the hood?
amen!

Last edited by v8juice; 10-25-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: because
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the sound of superchargers but why wouldn't they have used helical gears in the first place? Stronger and quieter... I don't see why anyone uses straight cut gears anymore especially in high powered applications.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sleeper mode?

wouldn't buy a procharger with out the whine.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

I dunno if they are totally quiet with the helical gears. I'm sure they will be quietER...

Sometimes a bit more stealth would be kinda neat.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Probably arent that quiet but more so then the straight cut. It would be kinda nice to now worry about cops as much lol
Old 10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they provide longer life or something then i would think about it. i would get them just for the quietness.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Vortech S/C have them on certain models and they aren't silent, but not as much gear whine and just more whisling sound if that helps describe what it should sound like. Man at times I wish I could sneak into a meet and get some races sometimes lol! Even if the have a car that could be competitive after they hear the car it is usually a no go after that etc... Good idea not for everyone, but for some it could be a good option.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm I may have to call procharger with my serial number...
My new D1SC HU that i bought maybe 2 months ago is very quiet compared to all the other prochargers (D1SC or otherwise) I've heard. There is a very faint whine.

The old P1SC I had before and even my buddies D1 were hard to hold a conversation when the car was idling near by, this one is more air than anything else.

I should take a video of it just idling in the driveway some time.

Last edited by Aster; 10-28-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Aster
Hmm I may have to call procharger with my serial number...
My new D1SC HU that i bought maybe 2 months ago is very quiet compared to all the other prochargers (D1SC or otherwise) I've heard. There is a very faint whine.

The old P1SC I had before and even my buddies D1 were hard to hold a conversation when the car was idling near by, this one is more air than anything else.

Here is a link to my recent dyno pull before I get to tuning just to get an idea of the boost level (Current tune is so safe it's rediculous, timing pulled way back and lots of fuel). I should take a video of it just idling in the driveway some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPA-46i1Y3Y

I have the helical option on my website for every ProCharger that I sell, you have to pay a little more for this option.
I doubt you have it if you didn't pay extra for it, but you can call in with your serial number and they can tell you for sure.

The helical option helps to get rid of the marbles in a can sound that can happen at idle. ProCharger took their time coming out with this helical gearset option, they showed me one back in '07, but they wanted to make sure it was 110% perfect. Bob

NEW: Helical Supercharger Gearset Option for Noise Reduction
Posted on October 6th, 2009 by ProCharger

Since introducing the industry’s first self-contained, gear driven supercharger back in 2000, ProCharger’s design has proven itself over millions of miles and countless passes down the drag strip. With it’s billet aluminum transmission case, industry leading step-up ratio, high-efficiency compressor and aerospace billet impeller designs, ProCharger’s lineup of high-efficiency superchargers have become the standard by which others are measured.

Now, ProCharger is extending our lead even further with the introduction of a helical gearset for a significant reduction in supercharger sound levels. This new helical gearset, along with a few other internal design modifications, results in a supercharger with all the same power potential as the standard blower, but at reduced sound levels, especially at engine idle speeds. With this new offering ProCharger becomes the first and only supercharger manufacturer to offer customers a choice of gearset design and noise level, as the standard design continues to be available.

We know that many ProCharger owners want the world to know, and hear, their new-found ProCharger horsepower. However, for those owners who want a more stealthy horsepower profile, the new helical gearset option provides that choice. Additionally, not only is ProCharger the only supercharger manufacturer to offer customers their choice of sound levels, ProCharger is the only centrifugal manufacturer to offer noise reduction on it’s “upgraded”, highest flowing street/strip model.

The new helical gearset is available on ProCharger P-1SC, P-1SC-1 and D-1SC supercharger models and must be specified at the original time of order. For more information, see your ProCharger dealer or give the ProCharger Sales Team a call at 913/338-2886.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that's a cool option. Sometimes you'd rather walk quietly and carry a big stick. Kind of like a quiet exhaust but having a cutout when you need it. Some of us like the stealth approach.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah Bob, I have spoken with them off an on for a while about the option too, though I ordered mine through a dealer and have no idea how it was ordered from there. I just know mine is quet, if I have the straight gears then the helicoil gears must really be quiet. I've never had a problem with the blower rattle on my system, but that is probably more to do with the tensioner system.

Either way not a bad option, but really should be standard since other manufacturers have it as standard equipment on their head units.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I like the F16 idle better myself personally. My car doesnt look slow, I don't want it to sound slow either lol.. I have had countless races back down just from hearing the procharger and/ or big bypass valve on my system. Its good- saves me gas ..But hey, whatever floats some peoples boat.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish they made them for the F-Series
Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
sleeper mode?

wouldn't buy a procharger with out the whine.

plus eleventy billion!! but then again, some like it quiet, to each his own, cool option though

Last edited by JAX04; 10-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I can't stand the noise of the std procharger, but to each their own...
Old 10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

It's gonna be hard to hide an F1 spinning a 3.85 pulley
come get ya some..
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

I like this. I need to look into one of these in a D1. Bob have you heard one personally, is it that much quieter?

Quick Reply: new prochargers can be ordered with helical gears=quiet