Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need A Direction. APS Extreme or LG Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need A Direction. APS Extreme or LG Upgrades

Im just caught in the middle of what I should do. I would like to get to about 1000rwhp. Im running a 408 now with the regular APS kit and im at about 710hp and close to 800tq to the ground. I would really like to get some opinions on what to do. Or what route to take. Is it also worth it getting the MSD APS Starter? And which one would be better for the buck. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Im just caught in the middle of what I should do. I would like to get to about 1000rwhp. Im running a 408 now with the regular APS kit and im at about 710hp and close to 800tq to the ground. I would really like to get some opinions on what to do. Or what route to take. Is it also worth it getting the MSD APS Starter? And which one would be better for the buck. Thanks in advance.
Actually,,,my stock starter still fits fine with my bigger LG turbos. But ive also had my exhaust turbo housings hot coated which protects the starter a bit too and i wont buy anything from APS ever again Go with the LG turbos atleast you'll have a recoarse
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by barnat
Actually,,,my stock starter still fits fine with my bigger LG turbos. But ive also had my exhaust turbo housings hot coated which protects the starter a bit too and i wont buy anything from APS ever again Go with the LG turbos atleast you'll have a recoarse
That is what I have been leaning towards more. How much bigger are the turbos; in size, I just want them to fit with my 4l80e in the way.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
That is what I have been leaning towards more. How much bigger are the turbos; in size, I just want them to fit with my 4l80e in the way.
You'de have to call LG motorsport on that one. Im not sure ,,,is the bellhousing diffrent on a 4l80 then a 4l60? I thought they were the same bellhousings?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always liked this pic LOL which shows the smaller holed APS oil banjo bolt compared to the bigger LG oil banjo bolt
Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbos are physically the same size. The Inlets are larger, which requires some patience and putting the inlets in hot water and then stretching them over it.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I would avoid dealing with APS at any cost. Deal with Louis and he will treat you right!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Reckless
I would avoid dealing with APS at any cost. Deal with Louis and he will treat you right!
come on, peter has WONDERFUL cusomer service skills, stands behind his product! i could think of a better person to by from.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Are those #s on the original turbos w/o problems? Wondering because I have the kit, just got it put together this summer and no failure yet! just starting to see some oil from driver housing!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SLOWWZ28
Are those #s on the original turbos w/o problems? Wondering because I have the kit, just got it put together this summer and no failure yet! just starting to see some oil from driver housing!
Before you spend the money on the turbos, make sure you have a good drain system, and no obstructions on the return line from the turbos.

The hoses in the kit for the drain lines can get spongey and move around. I would hate to sell a set of turbos because of a drain issue.

Corpse Road, I got your email, hopefully this will help

Louis
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLOWWZ28
I haven't had problems with the turbos yet. But I know its just a matter of time. If you do some research on this site about the kit, you'll know why the upgrades are the only way to go.

Originally Posted by Louis
Before you spend the money on the turbos, make sure you have a good drain system, and no obstructions on the return line from the turbos.

The hoses in the kit for the drain lines can get spongey and move around. I would hate to sell a set of turbos because of a drain issue.

Louis
Thanks in advance, I'm actually go over the car this winter and checking to see what I can replace to make things work better. I will definitely look into the drain lines. But as long as my 1000hp goal is in sight I will be happy.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Stick with Louis at LG.
I am running the extreme kit because that is what I got, but when/if they die, I am going with LG. Louis has been very helpful, and I have not spent a dime with him.
So I know I will get service when I do.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louis

Louis
Well said loius !Either electrical or mechanical scavanging pump is needed As most of you know i actually developed a mechanical scavanging pump that i ended up using with my new LG turbos as i couldnt see takeing a chance on ruining my $2800 babys LOLI actually made this for my INCON TT some years back and thought ide never have to use them again once the APS came out LOL I was wrong and thankfull still had one laying around

and my scavanging can what went with my new LG babys also LOL

Last edited by barnat; 12-02-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default lg TURBOS

Heres a good pic of the LG next to the stock APS turbo
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Ed!!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Wow that's awesome. Thanks so much. Hey, Barnat is there a way you could PM me a specs list and of what to buy in order for me to run a pump system like yours? I mean if I am going to be investing another several grand I might aswell go all the way.