Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Knewb LS1 STS Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knewb LS1 STS Turbo Build

I Just purchased a STS turbo kit for my 99 LS1 Camaro auto.

I've searched and have a ideal of what i'm getting into. But i have built enough turbo 4 bangers to know..... "Ask the guys that have done it before".

I'm planing on meth injection, IC, 60 Lbs injectors. 67-1 turbo etc. etc.

I've read alot about valve springs and etc. etc. The list goes on.....

It gets confusing of what I really need to do to prepare my car.

The kit should be here soon.

Any advise from the pro's before I get started
Old 12-25-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cancel the order and find a local shop to do it for you. STS is junk. Had one. Never again. Overpriced for what you get. The PCV system blew oil all over my engine when it failed. Junk *** fitting on the turbo broke and dropped 4 quarts of oil in seconds. Barely caught it in time so my motor wasn't junked. Their intercooler kit is a waste of money, do it yourself with an Ebay core and piping for $800 less.

Oh yeah, SEARCH this forum.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboAv
Cancel the order and find a local shop to do it for you. STS is junk. Had one. Never again. Overpriced for what you get. The PCV system blew oil all over my engine when it failed. Junk *** fitting on the turbo broke and dropped 4 quarts of oil in seconds. Barely caught it in time so my motor wasn't junked. Their intercooler kit is a waste of money, do it yourself with an Ebay core and piping for $800 less.

This might be a little much on someone that doesn't know much about FI. I agree with you on the kit, had it for almost 3 years... been there done that. I'm in the process of switching to a KYTP kit and swapping from a M6 to a Th400 + I ditched the LS1 in favor of a built 370, this is gonna be BY FAR much more of an efficient set up than the STS I did
Old 12-25-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Procharger kit or something from KYTP. Money better spent.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Some of you guys are harsh but anyway....... To the op if you cant send it back, Up grade your springs to dualvalve and leave in the sock cam, run 5-8 psi on the stock motor and add a walbro fuel pump and hot wire. Get a dam good tune and ditch the maf, and the sts pcv system its really junk. Enjoy the power. Make sure you use band clamps everywhere and if you do the installl take your sweet time. It amazes me how somebody can **** up a simple sts install but it has been done the directions are stupid proof. Then when your tired of ******* with it buy a front mount and go big. Yes I have a rearmount and made 813 hp and smoke some serious **** on the streets but the head ache of using a rearmount to go 200+ mph in the mile wasent worth it to me. So Im switching to a front mount. But if your dead set on using the rearmount do a search of zombie threads he is the don imho of rearmounts.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAv

AS you can tell already everyone has their opinion! I've had the kit for years now and yes you do have to upgrade and change a few things to reach more potential. On any build there is always something to upgrade to make the build and longevity of the car last. The only problem I've ever had was a loose connection on top of the oil pump but that was of my own doing. I have also installed numerous kits on other f-body's and a few trailblazers and to this date they are still running strong.

A lot of people bash the STS and in some instances they are correct as per the PCV. But with research and asking other STS members the do's and dont's you should have a decent build.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I bought the kit used off this forum.

I'm would like to have 475hp or more. I'm all stock so i need to keep it calm for awhile. I figure on kumo street tires that will be pretty crazy.

So double check the oil line (frequently).

And what do yall recomend for the PCV fix. (I'll do a search too)

Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my thoughts are in my signature todd
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

As far as my build goes I'm still running all stock LS1 internals, LS6 intake, decent tune, Racetronix pump kit, 42 lb injectors, Nasty Nate's fuel rail, GT67 turbo, full wrapped exhaust, and custome FMIC.

On 5psi Im at 443 HP and on 10-11 psi 520+ but I was starting to run out of fuel. Next move would be to go to a duel pump setup and larger injectors. But for everyday on the street and a lil strip time it was fine and been great.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hawk584
my thoughts are in my signature todd
Thats what i needed to hear.

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
As far as my build goes I'm still running all stock LS1 internals, LS6 intake, decent tune, Racetronix pump kit, 42 lb injectors, Nasty Nate's fuel rail, GT67 turbo, full wrapped exhaust, and custome FMIC.

On 5psi Im at 443 HP and on 10-11 psi 520+ but I was starting to run out of fuel. Next move would be to go to a duel pump setup and larger injectors. But for everyday on the street and a lil strip time it was fine and been great.
I've already purchased the kit, and it seems to do what i want from you guys results.

I have madly turbo'ed one miata, mildly 3 miata's, supercharged one miata, and Turbo'ed a Del Sol.

Through all that, I learned I need more fun factor and gas mileage than ultimate race function. Don't get me wronge....I LOVE a race machine.

But the drag 5.0 I had this summer, ate my lunch in gas. I loved it. But I have to have a daily driver capible of highway cruising.

If I can hit 450-500hp and keep good gas mileage and dependability, I'm good.
But if it is a nightmare I'll sell it.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit off topic. I wonder why someone has not built a oil reservoir at the back close to the turbo? It would be easy to put a monitor light up in the cabin showing the pump running and if oil level gets low.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OreoLt1

P'cola Fl. I had a wreck there this summer. LOL

Where I110 turns into I10N, a 17 yr old girl in a suv lost control and T boned me. I had to drift the car around the curve almost hitting 2 poles. Crazy!.......Even more crazy, she was from Texas too. LOL

Atleast it totaled the car. LOL

Beautiful beach, I caught some fish on the pier, still woundering what it was. LOL.
I would like to move there someday.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
A bit off topic. I wonder why someone has not built a oil reservoir at the back close to the turbo? It would be easy to put a monitor light up in the cabin showing the pump running and if oil level gets low.
I think it supossed to have a light????
Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toddcod
It should have a light that tells you it's on. The stock scavenge pump also runs in two speeds. Low and High. If the stock pump takes a crap take a look at Turbowerx pumps. The only reason to run the PCV the way STS has it is for emissions. Just do a catch can setup and get rid of the PCV for anything other than emissions. Use good clamps on all the joints.

As for the oil tank in back, you would need a decent amount of oil and a good cooler. Just more stuff to mess with, but less potential of popping you motor. If you could do it all yourself, go for it. If you are paying someone, I wouldn't waste my time. When my fitting broke there was a HUGE smokecloud coming out of the back of my Avalanche. That being said I didn't notice it. My buddy did and said "dude your truck is spewing smoke". I immediately knew what happened and shut it down. I was at the Glamis sand dunes in Cali and luckily I was able to buy a fitting from the many little sandrail booths there.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

P'cola Fl. I had a wreck there this summer. LOL

Where I110 turns into I10N, a 17 yr old girl in a suv lost control and T boned me. I had to drift the car around the curve almost hitting 2 poles. Crazy!.......Even more crazy, she was from Texas too. LOL

Atleast it totaled the car. LOL

Beautiful beach, I caught some fish on the pier, still woundering what it was. LOL.
I would like to move there someday.
It's an alright place. Beaches are good, could use a few more hang out spots. But Fort Walton and Panama City are not to far.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Stock STS does not come with a light to show operation but you can hear the pump running. If oil psi drops below limit set on pump there is a loud audible buzzer that is apart of the harness that should mount in the glove box area.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

I am running one in my Trans Am, I am using the procharger intercooler kit. I didn't want to cut out the f bumper and rad support. I haven't had any problems at all. It knocked just under 2 seconds off my quater mile time. Mine is a 6spd car and stock clutch that now slips. So I am sure I'll get down into the 11's with a better clutch and slicks( don't want to bust the rear end). I did simplify the wiring a bit. I just taped into the fuel pump wiring for the scavenging pump. I don't know why everyone is having so many problems with these kits. You can make big power for pretty cheap.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spaz1
I am running one in my Trans Am, I am using the procharger intercooler kit. I didn't want to cut out the f bumper and rad support.
I still need instructions. Anyone have any? I searched on google and came up dry. Mabe the guy will send some with the kit.

Do you have to cut the support for the STS intercooler?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

This is how I mounted my cooler, sorry for the big pics.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Nice Setup!

Do you have any pictures of the front after you finished?

Last edited by toddcod; 12-26-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Knewb LS1 STS Turbo Build