Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Someone overlook my build, critique heavy please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone overlook my build, critique heavy please

Engine LS2 engine, forged. -16cc dished pistons. dm engine girdle, ported 317's, comp cam 224/224 114, comp valvetrain, ls9 piston squirters( if i can get installed).

Transmission Rebuilt 4L80

Turbo T-series T-76>>76MM FRONT AND 68MM BACK 76MM HOUSING,96 A/R. PTK Ebay clone kit. HKS SSQV BOV.

Fuel Aeromotive Fuel Pump #11101, pre & post filter, -10 feed, -8 return, aeromotive A1000 efi regulator, lonnie's rails, a ton of aeromotive fittings, etc...
I have two msd boost a pumps, I wanted to run one in-tank walbro and have the aeromotive come on via boost switch.

Suspension Pa racing tubular crossmember, upper and lower front control arms, eibach pro kit, bilstein shocks, subframe connectors, rear lower control arms, relocation brackets, adjustable panhard rod(lower)

If it's not there i haven't bought it yet.

Last edited by pdasterly; 02-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ask anyone who has used the eBay kit if they would do it again
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

I could have did the truck manifold but i have no fabrication equipment, this is a driveway build and i wanted to keep the car close to stock as possible. I know i have to relocate the a/c. I was under the impression people were having trouble with the down pipe on a stock crossmember

Eviltwin where u at in norcal
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it just ran aliitle low ar far as the down pipe but nothing to bad. The engine girdle is really not needed, I will use arp everywhere in the bottom. The turbo seems good also, the oil squters is gonna be pricey because u have to have the block machine for them. Be sure to have the stall buitl around your setup.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdasterly
Engine LS2 engine, forged. -16cc dished pistons. dm engine girdle NOT NEEDED, ported 317's, comp cam 224/224 114, comp valvetrain SHOULD WORK OK LOTS OF OPINIONS ON TURBO CAMS , ls9 piston squirters( if i can get installed)NOT NEEDED.

Transmission Rebuilt 4L80 GOOD CHOICE

Turbo T-series T-76>>76MM FRONT AND 68MM BACK 76MM HOUSING,96 A/R. PTK Ebay clone kit. HKS SSQV BOV (HKS IS OK IF NOT A KNOCK OFF)
Fuel Aeromotive Fuel Pump #11101, pre & post filter, -10 feed, -8 return, aeromotive A1000 efi regulator, lonnie's rails, a ton of aeromotive fittings, etc...
I have two msd boost a pumps DON'T KNOW IF WOULD BOTHER WITH THESE, I wanted to run one in-tank walbro and have the aeromotive come on via boost switch.
SEEMS TO BE SERIOUSLY OVER COMPLICATED AND OVERKILL. MY TWIN PUMP LONNIES INTANK SETUP IS QUIET, CAN SUPPORT 1000RWHP WITH 8 AN FEED AND 6 AN RETURN, BOOST REFERENCED REG,TEFLON BRAIDED LINES AND UPGRADED RAILS. SINGLE RACETRONIX TYPE UPGRADE PUMP CAN DO UP TO THINK 600RWHP WITH STOCK LINES AND STOCK RAILS. PAST THAT WOULD FOR SURE GO TWIN PUMP. PAST 1000RWHP WOULD GO CUSTOM TANK AND BIG SINGLE PUMP LIKE BIG MAGNAFUEL AND THEN MAYBE GO TO 10 AN FEED ,8 RETURN.

Suspension Pa racing tubular crossmember, upper and lower front control arms, eibach pro kit, bilstein shocks, subframe connectors, rear lower control arms, relocation brackets, adjustable panhard rod(lower)
DROP SPRINGS DONT WORK WELL FOR QUARTERMILE ,BILSTEIN ALSO NOT BEST 1/4 MILE SHOCKS BUT IF 1/4 IS NOT YOUR MAIN DEAL THEN SHOULD BE NICE FOR HANDLING,NOT BAD FOR RIDE AND OK IN 1/4.

If it's not there i haven't bought it yet.
Tial and turbosmart also make nice wastegates and blow offs. I have used both no complaints.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The girdle is not needed at your power level so you can save some money there unless u have it already.

I've seen the A1000 be hit or miss for street. Here in Las Vegas everyone I've seen (4 of them) have been total disasters on the street, even with the speed controller.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

damn wastegate cost more than the turbo. The pistons squirters was a might as well because everything is all apart and the block is ready to be machined and I got a good deal on the girdle with the arp kit. I used my old cam from my sts setup My original goal was 1200 rwhp but after talking with a few people my block(LS2) won't take the abuse, so I'm going to shoot for like 900 give or take a few. The car will be street car so i dont think clearance would be an issue(big wheels). I have a homemade dual(dual walbro gss340) setup on my firebird, but i had already bought the aeromotive pump, filters, fittings and rails(expensive). I got a good deal on the 4L80 and the rebuild, which stall should i get, remember 99 percent street car. How can I tell if my HKS BOV is fake? I'm going to use the hotwire kit with the boost a pumps, one on the main in tank pump and one on the aeromotive pump(overkill yes). Fuel system goes, single gss340 walbro intank, I have a fuel log so the two pumps form a single -10 line running up the the rear of the fuel rail. I have crossover line -10 front and back with the regulator mounted on the driver side rail and ran -8 return back to tank(should support at least 1400 rwhp). eibach and bilstein, ive had this combo for a few years now, if i were to replace something then I would go with strano parts.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zombie
The girdle is not needed at your power level so you can save some money there unless u have it already.

I've seen the A1000 be hit or miss for street. Here in Las Vegas everyone I've seen (4 of them) have been total disasters on the street, even with the speed controller.
the girdle cost less than the pistons, rods and machine work so it was like insurance for me. also ive read the horror stories about the a1000, but most seem to have installation error issuse such as incorrect fuel line size and location of the pump itself. Should i purchase the controller, aeromotive dosen't seem to think so because the pump will only be activated at a certain psi from the manifold(not running all the time).
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fireball has taken an ls2 block to 1600~hp

the eBay kit is not just a bolt on thing

I don't see a t76 getting you to 900whp with that eBay kit either. Sounds like you are just in a hurry to spend money and not research what you need to reach your goal.

I live in the bay area
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I custom spec'd cam would be good. Unless your like me and got a good deal on a close one
Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

78mm with a 1.15 a/r has a better shot at the power you want.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

cam was from my sts setup and yes my birthday is coming up in 3 weeks, so im kinda rushing. I sold my sts after to many headaches. I picked the turbo because the price was right. Can i upgrade to a billet wheel once the car is up and running and\or put a race cover on the turbo.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prob going to need a bigger turbo IMO but thats just my guess. And that is a tiny cam lol
Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

As said above, 900rwhp through a 4L80 is going to be damn tough with that turbo. It will also be pushing your 4 bolt heads pretty hard without oringing or similar. Definitely use ARP studs. Definitely go larger on the turbine housing if you're keeping that turbo. Personally I'd ditch the Aeromotive pump and go another route, and not have a pump boost referenced. Just more things to fail and pop your motor...
Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

I have arp studs, so i should dump the aeromotive and run a dual in tank setup. I have both a 98 and 99 tank available to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
Ask anyone who has used the eBay kit if they would do it again
**** no
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NightHawk
**** no
where at you having problems?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at any eBay kit build thread. There are problems with almost everything.

Also I don't know why you have your heart set on 900~whp for pretty much only a street car. Have you ever driven a car on the street with that much power? Your going to end up putting it into a telephone pole or into someone else if you try using all that power. I'm not trying to come off as a dick but that the truth. Now if it was going to be a street/strip car I could understand with a boost controler to bring the power down to something useful on the street. Just my $.02
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

i own a procharged firebird, my buddies ls7 trans am six speed i can hold the pedal all the way down
Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Yank py3400e converter is pretty streetable and is pretty much made for big power turbo cars. You can see that cablebandit,mightmouse,etc have run it with good results.
I chose it after a lot of research.You can't reallly lock it up on dyno or at wot according to yank at big power levels but its pretty effiicient converter so does pretty good not locked up. Again you can look at cablebandit or mightymouse cars.

For fuel system well again for 1000rwhp lonnies twin pump setup is nice. One pump is driven off hobbs and it runs as said 8 an feed and 6 return,with of course adjustable reg and bigger rails. Simple and effective and also used in a lot of cars on the board.

I think running all those msd boost a pump things are unnecessary.
I did the hole in hatch mod so can get to a pump if need be.
My car is quiet for a street car with those intank pumps and I like my street car to be as streetable as possible. My whole build was to make a car that is very streetable. No cam lope, no low speed surging from the cam,not too sloppy a stall,reasonable gear ratio,no super loud fuel pump. Think have succeeded pretty well.
As for wanted past 1000rwhp well whatever floats your boat. I have been running think and estimated 600 to 650 rwhp for last season and car can still be a handful. I coudln't really hook up until middle of third with my nitto drag radials with my six speed.
I have not had chance to see how things hook up yet with the 4l80 and stall combo since got it in the car too close to end of season but it did seem traction was big problem.
I am going to have a pair of et street radials to use at track and occasionally on street. But want to run actual street tires most of the time but it may not be possible. I have eboost 2 which can ramp boost by rpm on the street and intend to try that feature and can ramp by time at track if wish. I hear they can ramp by gear but haven't found anyone yet to tell me how its done. Also other high end boost controllers can help traction problems like ams 500 and 1000? They have think good ramping strategies. I might even install a variable traction control made by racelogic in my car. I didn't even get factory traction control in it.

And turbo setups can come in a lot stronger then a centrifugal like ati. You can have full spool up at like 3000 or 3500 rpm depending on gear and few other variables and it will of course keep that boost level pretty far up .Unlike centrifugal that builds boost with rpm.Thats actually why ramping by rpm might work well on street.

Quick Reply: Someone overlook my build, critique heavy please