Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a complete list of stuff needed for turbo builds

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a complete list of stuff needed for turbo builds

..............Im sure this can help alot of us come this spring.............

hey, can everybody pitch in and make a complete list of stuff needed to do a complete turbo build? Also note what is needed and if you dont need. i want to not have to spend more then a weekend on my install and have it tuned on a monday. so far i have most of the stuff needed now i want to see what extras i can afford now.

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

ADD TO THIS

-all hot parts
-turbo
-WG
-cold tubes
-intercooler
-blow off valve
-injectors
-racetronix...might add hobbs 2nd pump...
-good oil pump
-317s studded
-springs
-oil supply
-oil return
-cut out
-gear size???

I dont have any gauges but i still need to know what little tiings like, meth, fuel pressure regulator, wide band, boost controller, two step, retarders. plugs
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

If you're doing your own build... I highly doubt youll have it done in a weekend. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you've never it done it before AND you're building your own kit I wouldnt plan on it.

That's if you're fabbing all of your own hot parts. If you buy a kit then it can be done in weekend provided you dont run into trouble.

Things you have to include in yoru time though is things like any welding, tapping the oil pan etc. that if you can't do this yourself or a buddy, then probably wont be able to have done on a weekend.

Last edited by czwalga00gt; 02-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
If you're doing your own build... I highly doubt youll have it done in a weekend. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you've never it done it before AND you're building your own kit I wouldnt plan on it.
That would be the longest weekend ever!

But flanges for the turbo and manifold
V-bands
fittings for the feed/drain
Fans
intercooler
IC mounts
Misc. bolts and hardware
02 bungs
misc. electrical connectors and relays
threaded IAT sensor and bung
Silicone couplers and Tbands
New hoses for the moved radiator
atleast one good friend to help you hold **** and help you curse what a piece of **** or stupid design etc etc.

EDIT
don't forget a boost referenced regualtor and rails.
customs PS lines and fittings.

Last edited by MUSTANGBRKR02; 02-14-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool...i do think i could do it in a weekend but all the hot parts are a old hi-flo kit. it would just be assembly. I decided to drop the k member so i can re paint and clean and do a little motor work. and the kit keeps the rad in the oe location and the iat is already in the badass intake tube.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

whats a boost referenced regualtor? i have the rails already, the car has a fuel system good enough for 550 rwhp
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ttranssam
whats a boost referenced regualtor? i have the rails already, the car has a fuel system good enough for 550 rwhp
It raises fuel pressure based off of boost by a vaccuum line. I think there 1:1. So 1 psi boost 1 psi fuel pressure.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was going to add a pump, has a racetronix and have the second pump wired to a hobbs switch then just full fuel pressure to the rails??? will that not b fine
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have no idea what you're getting into.
A little advice if I may,
Read up for a few more months on some of the builds that are documented here. Find out what all needs to be done for each particular setup and decide what's going to be needed for yours. Everything mentioned above for "The list", is pure no brainer parts. There are gong to be so many more nickel and dime parts and peices that you're going to run into once you're deep into the project.

Lastly, if this is a daily driver in any way, plan on taking several weeks off to complete the project.
Good luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
atleast one good friend to help you hold **** and help you curse what a piece of **** or stupid design etc etc.

Hahaha, I call my dad to come over and help me whenever I need another hand for certain things. A couple weeks ago I was bitching up a storm cause I had to re-do the entire hot side. I'm like WTF is wrong with these mazda engineers, they didn't put near enough room in this engine bay!

Also I agree with the 'you have no idea what youre getting into'. When you start building/fabbing your own stuff to relocate your radiator new fans... whatever it may be it always takes longer than you think it should. Things like oil lines could be an entire day if you run into fitting problems.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

if you having to ask these questions, you need to slow down and read more, not being rude, just saving you head aches
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

first off guys respect the fact that this is where you come to find out this stuff you want to learn about.

second, i respect what yall are saying BUT!!!! dont judge unless you know me, ive done my full rebuild, H/C/I and very complete nitrous. i have done Almost id say 98% of my own work from doing headers 10+times on my own to only drop my trans alone on a shop ground on my chest 10 + times. id say im a tinky bit more qualified then most. ive been around fi for quite some time and understood how fi works on a car... i do not let anyone touch my car.......also i am by no means being rude or up my own *** but i can do it and now im done with NA its time.

i have id say 90% of the needed stuff and still have a budget of 3k I just want all them little costs to be paied for before i start.....i Know alot more then you guys think i do, im just a neat freak.....like i have been making a check list thats hanging on the wall!

I love when ppl act like a switch to fi is impossable???? its quite easy to understand just really need ppl to say stupid **** like "hey dont forget this" i mean c'mon this stuff it Not hard to do. and these cars are super easy to work on.

Last edited by ttranssam; 02-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

All you need is one of these

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am not saying its impossible but doing this in a weekend is highly unlikely. And you might as well ditch the racetronix and get twin walbros. The racetronix wont get very far. ask me how i know. You will want to do a FPR with a return line.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
You have no idea what you're getting into.
A little advice if I may,
READ UP FOR A FEW MORE MONTHS ON SOM OF THE BUILDS THAT ARE DOCUMENTED HERE. Find out what all needs to be done for each particular setup and decide what's going to be needed for yours. Everything mentioned above for "The list", is pure no brainer parts. There are gong to be so many more nickel and dime parts and peices that you're going to run into once you're deep into the project.

Lastly, if this is a daily driver in any way, plan on taking several weeks off to complete the project.
Good luck.
hahahaha 3 yrs, of almost every day checkin up on all the builds i could...no jokes ask som the members that know me....they know im more then qualified to do the build and am to stubborn to have anyone help and not turbo it lol
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chase3
i am not saying its impossible but doing this in a weekend is highly unlikely. And you might as well ditch the racetronix and get twin walbros. The racetronix wont get very far. ask me how i know. You will want to do a FPR with a return line.
see thats what i need....now with a racetronix i made 550. im looking for that same number with a mild motor so i DONT HAVE TO CONSTANTLY FILL BOTTLES...sucks

fuel systems are duh and i wanna just make this one work for 600rwhp and be safe....keep in mind ist safe now for 550 on nitrous so an extra fifty hp?dont need that much more for 50 and i wanna add a pump?

-no return and i know its going to take a week to two mainly cus the bumper motor bay are gettin repainted too

i like the cash tree...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am suggesting, not telling you. but i too had the racetronix pump with hotwire so i know from experience. It will prob get away with 600. but will pe pushed to the max if possible. and with no return you wont be running a regulator then, which numerous people have alreasy suggested. The fuel system is the LAST place you want to cut corners my friend
Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ oh i know...trust me i know if i were to put ur shoes on i would not want see someone take a dive on his build...

also, i just bought the motron 60lbs'ers two seconds ago...

and there was no way in hell i was going to blow up my car on nitrous so yes fuel system first...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys, i guess im already KINDA makin a mistake... well i also know if i can keep the rest of the build under 18 hundo i can prolly afford a rear and som rims

but also...
Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a turbo? If not there goes a 1k. Run the FPR with a return. Also I would run a hobbs switch for the second pump.

Don't forget vacuum line and tube. I am redoing mine to fit a vacuum manifold. Don't cheap on the turbo atleast a Turbonetics 76

Quick Reply: a complete list of stuff needed for turbo builds