Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Top mount throttle body with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top mount throttle body with boost?

Quick question, i'm finally biting the bullet and putting twins on the car, i'm getting tired of spending $150 on nitrous everytime I go racing. So anyways, it was a nitrous car and I have an accel 4500 top mount throttle body and was wondering if I can stick with it for the boost setup? I always see everyone use an elbow and a front mount, but my accel flows 2100 cfm which his 600 cfm more than even the wilson 105mm front mount, so why does nobody use the top mounts for boost? Is there a problem getting a hat to seal? Should I run it, or sell it and get an elbow and 105? Thanks for any advice guys! Also, who's a good person to talk to about spec'ing a boost cam, motor is going to be a 398 cube iron block with between 9:1 and 9.5:1 compression with twin 80's on it. Oh and one more thing, i'm going to sell my gmpp intake with the fogger on it, should I get another gmpp or go to a super vic? I didn't know which one was better for boost, thanks again!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think about me when you sell that fogger
Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
think about me when you sell that fogger
I'm ready to sell it now if you want it, i'll pm you.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Victor Jr. would be better than the GMPP. And a Super Victor would be better still if you can stuff the carb hat and 4500 in there. I would think a 4150 would be plenty for a 398" motor.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JFYI all aluminum GMPP manifolds (SBC, SBF, BBC, LS1 etc) are made by Edelbrock under a private label program. The GMPP manifold is about 1/2" shorter than the Vic Jr. I would honestly just go for the Edelbrock, the runners will be longer and it should be cheaper if I can recall.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
A Victor Jr. would be better than the GMPP. And a Super Victor would be better still if you can stuff the carb hat and 4500 in there. I would think a 4150 would be plenty for a 398" motor.
I can fit pretty much anything, cowl is cut out and I have a vfn 4.5" sunoco hood to the windshield. I already have the adapter plate and dominator throttle body, I just didn't know if I could use it with boost, was scared that maybe there were sealing issues with the hats or some other reason that nobody goes that route, or is it just clearance issues that steers everyone clear of it? But anyways, so the super victor should be better than the gmpp? I always heard the gmpp was better than the edelbrocks.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
JFYI all aluminum GMPP manifolds (SBC, SBF, BBC, LS1 etc) are made by Edelbrock under a private label program. The GMPP manifold is about 1/2" shorter than the Vic Jr. I would honestly just go for the Edelbrock, the runners will be longer and it should be cheaper if I can recall.
Wow, really, edelbrock makes the gmpp? I'm surprised, because out of the box, the gmpp seems like a much nicer piece than the edelbrock, the one edelbrock I saw looked rough.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

But back on to the other subject, what do you guys think about the 4bbl throttle body with a hat with big boost, problem or no?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, one other thing, I could be wrong on this, but I thought shorter runners were better for high rpm, which I would think would be better for boost, am I on the wrong track?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Wow, really, edelbrock makes the gmpp? I'm surprised, because out of the box, the gmpp seems like a much nicer piece than the edelbrock, the one edelbrock I saw looked rough.
yeah Edelbrock makes a lot of manufacturers products: shocks, heads, manifolds, basically anything thats made from aluminum. But GM gives them all the specs to build it to. So maybe they want a smooth finish compared to the textured edelbrock, but the ones ive seen all look the same.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Gotcha, what about the long vs short runner thing? Do you have any thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: Top mount throttle body with boost?