Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anybody got a spare all pro 6 bolt head?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default anybody got a spare all pro 6 bolt head?

i have one with a crack that was not repairable; need a replacement.

from what Bob tells me its the first version 6 bolt cathedral port.

figured only people here use the 6 bolt heads.. any better place other than my existing wtb thread?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sure you tryed on YB?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, can't help ya there but one questions, you use stock rockers on that thing?

free bump for ya anyways
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really sucks David-let me know if i can help.

Last edited by Shawn @ VA Speed; 03-29-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

is the crack in the picture? Why wasnt it repairable?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

I know a guy here local that can repair anything on a aluminum head.Might want to check a few more places before you trash the head.IMO
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

how did it crack?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

i am not on yellowbullet

i use stock rockers, .600 lift cam, 921 springs, 6500rpm shifts

no that picture is when they were new, i didn't photo them currently.. was just for reference.

the crack is around the back corner of one of the lower main bolt hole pockets.. how it got there I have no idea. nobody is taking responsibilty for that. I bought the heads part of my longblock pre-installed through w2w and they were on the car for 1.5 years before sending to bob who noticed the crack. I will say the car had always lost a tiny bit of water i assumed ''came with the territory'' but i noticed a stain develop from the place that was eventually determined as a crack. see attached for the 'stain' pic (taken 6/09)

when bob noticed the crack he suggested a repair which was attempted and charged for but was unsucessful.. and unfortunately went from a little wet spot type thing to an actively dripping type of thing

i sent the head back again and i am with bob that the more that it gets cut into the worse the head will be structurally.. not to mention time and money thrown at a mere attempt with no gaurantee.

the real ball buster is that this version is no longer made and he has no spares, so i will need 2 new heads.. and i just spent $1200 to refresh and 'fix' these.

i talked to greg at trick flow today for some time and he said they havent ever had any cracking but of course that may just be a salesman doing his thing. maybe not. I also got some words of wisdom from Shawn@vaspeed.
Attached Thumbnails anybody got a spare all pro 6 bolt head?-0614091507.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Need better pics, but I think that head can be fixed, doesn't look too serious. I have repaired some pretty trashed out heads. You may want to get more opinions on that.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
Need better pics, but I think that head can be fixed, doesn't look too serious. I have repaired some pretty trashed out heads. You may want to get more opinions on that.
But he said a repair was attempted and now it is worse
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of things that sound interesting on this thread that made me think.
1. I have only seen 1 All Pro head crack, it was on a high power turbo engine that was around 2 years old. This was from the Ohio boys car, and they run the stuff hard, fast and often.
2. David ran his heads so hot at the LSX shootout the valves tuliped and he needed to tow it home.
3. Bob said he offered David new heads at half price.

The All Pro head is a proven performer, as is the TFS in my opinion. Cary has also refined the old ET line and added some new parts that look promising. I have one set of his newer stuff that Mast sells that look great and I anticipate great things. All three of these companies build nice 6 bolt stuff that will work well.

Kurt
Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. I have heard (not seen) otherwise, though i argue that my crack is not performance or horsepower related.
2. yea also i got some advice on raising the timing just prior to this situation unfolding that i took.. whow knows what happened really, the car was completely reliable up to that point (not taking a shot at the advice, but i thought it was interesting . ) anyone in the loop may (or may not) remember my mention that the car used about a dixie cup of water here and there from the get-go. (the stain existed before the shootout (was there before 2008 shootout!) and not caused by it)
3. the half price offer is the best thing going and i might have to take it. I'm not scared of all pro heads now, just concerned. (you know i aint got no money) between the original refresh/repair and the secondary casting swap offer it would be a $2500 deal just to get back to where I was. I gotta do my best to put my money in the right place.

I am not here to thrash all pro, i'm here asking if somebody else has an extra like mine i can buy because that is my preference.

If i WAS to form an opinion tho based on the timeline there would either have been a defect in the original casting or there was some mishap during original installation. I think both are water under the bridge at this point.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the heads looked at again for a 'potential' repair

otherwise the half price deal seems like your best bet
Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
1. I have heard (not seen) otherwise, though i argue that my crack is not performance or horsepower related.
2. yea also i got some advice on raising the timing just prior to this situation unfolding that i took.. whow knows what happened really, the car was completely reliable up to that point (not taking a shot at the advice, but i thought it was interesting . ) anyone in the loop may (or may not) remember my mention that the car used about a dixie cup of water here and there from the get-go. (the stain existed before the shootout (was there before 2008 shootout!) and not caused by it)
3. the half price offer is the best thing going and i might have to take it. I'm not scared of all pro heads now, just concerned. (you know i aint got no money) between the original refresh/repair and the secondary casting swap offer it would be a $2500 deal just to get back to where I was. I gotta do my best to put my money in the right place.

I am not here to thrash all pro, i'm here asking if somebody else has an extra like mine i can buy because that is my preference.

If i WAS to form an opinion tho based on the timeline there would either have been a defect in the original casting or there was some mishap during original installation. I think both are water under the bridge at this point.
A man of honor how rare in this day an age.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I would have the heads looked at again for a 'potential' repair

otherwise the half price deal seems like your best bet
x2 on this one.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i am not on yellowbullet

i use stock rockers, .600 lift cam, 921 springs, 6500rpm shifts

no that picture is when they were new, i didn't photo them currently.. was just for reference.

the crack is around the back corner of one of the lower main bolt hole pockets.. how it got there I have no idea. nobody is taking responsibilty for that. I bought the heads part of my longblock pre-installed through w2w and they were on the car for 1.5 years before sending to bob who noticed the crack. I will say the car had always lost a tiny bit of water i assumed ''came with the territory'' but i noticed a stain develop from the place that was eventually determined as a crack. see attached for the 'stain' pic (taken 6/09)

when bob noticed the crack he suggested a repair which was attempted and charged for but was unsucessful.. and unfortunately went from a little wet spot type thing to an actively dripping type of thing

i sent the head back again and i am with bob that the more that it gets cut into the worse the head will be structurally.. not to mention time and money thrown at a mere attempt with no gaurantee.

the real ball buster is that this version is no longer made and he has no spares, so i will need 2 new heads.. and i just spent $1200 to refresh and 'fix' these.

i talked to greg at trick flow today for some time and he said they havent ever had any cracking but of course that may just be a salesman doing his thing. maybe not. I also got some words of wisdom from Shawn@vaspeed.
One of my friends bought a set of those All Pros (brand new) for his LSX build and one of the heads was determined to be cracked when they put it on the engine dyno. Right out of the box.

And here is a picture of LS2Formula's cracked TFS245 6 bolt head. They called it a "shifted casting". We called it a "huge pain in the ***".
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=98Z28CobraKiller;13095076]And here is a picture of LS2Formula's cracked TFS245 6 bolt head. They called it a "shifted casting". We called it a "huge pain in the ***".

The TFS water jacket has been revised and reinforced since this early casting was made.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have no less then 10 engines with wled tech cnc'd all pro heads out every season and have never seen any trouble with them.

That is a bummer that they no longer make a matching head!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The TFS water jacket has been revised and reinforced since this early casting was made.
That's nice. Would have been nice if you guys had warrantied the pair instead of only one head. It's amazing how it went from "we've never seen that before" and "it was just a defective casting" to "revised and reinforced" water jackets.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Brian Tooley;13095125]
Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
And here is a picture of LS2Formula's cracked TFS245 6 bolt head. They called it a "shifted casting". We called it a "huge pain in the ***".

How do u know if you have the early casting or the older ones. I'm just about to up the hp on my tfs245 soon

Quick Reply: anybody got a spare all pro 6 bolt head?