Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Downpipe under K-member..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downpipe under K-member..

In case you dont know about my build, I have the ebay kit. I also got so frustrated with the kit at the end of my build that I chopped the downpipe because I could not get it to fit without interfering with the steering shaft.

Had a chance to get under the car and get some ideas going for my exhaust. Heres the clearance for under the k member, its actually not as low as my charge pipe.

Heres the exhaust run partially under the kmember and the LCA, the LCA is at its lowest point here:

Back shot of the kmember and LCA:

Heres the crossover from the passenger side header to driver side:

The whole exhaust laid out, the red line is where I want to cut and extend the pipes out to clear the crossover, 3' should do it:
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Another option, it wasnt viable for me but I thought Id try it out and I actually like it. Just running a 3" pipe between the k member and the LCA then reusing the other pipes as is.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

On a side note, Ive put 200 miles on this thing with the charge pipe that low and havent bottomed out on it once. Im use to driving lowered cars since I had an s10 that was lowered 5/6. This car is lowered with eibachs, so it has a 1.5" or so drop.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us posted on when you destory it lol. You should be banned from posting pics until you buy a camera!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

doesnt matter if you know how to drive a lowered car or not. its ineveitable if you hit the wrong bump in the ground or your car bounces down towards the ground.

i had a 3"downpipe tucked to the K member with stock suspension and on the right fwy hump i'd smash it against the ground
Old 04-11-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run their Proline springs and I drag just going into high center parking lots. That is with everything tucked up. Go ahead and run it, but I also doubt it will survive very long.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Keep us posted on when you destory it lol. You should be banned from posting pics until you buy a camera!
Ive been spending all my money on parts! haha
Old 04-11-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

By all rights the crossover and charge pipe is just as low and Ive never bottomed out on either. This isnt the most desirable option for me either but I need some sort of exhaust.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ride it till it breaks.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So was the downpipe coming out the front not cutting it? Was debating changing over to an under-the-k downpipe myself, but using oval tubing to help ground clearance. I can't seem to come up with a setup that doesn't f with the steering shaft and also doesn't pull the downpipe apart.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Restricted User

just take a 3" hole saw to the fender and shoot your downpipe out the side. NASTY!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tti street kit has the up-pipe (charge pipe) the same way.
my car is not lowered. when i had it on, i drove it for a month with no problem, then one time i was ragging on it, i think i hit a bump at about 100mph and sparks flew, put a good size flat section in my charge pipe. also after that it would hit pavement going up and down incline drives and such.
your downpipe shouldnt pose to much of a problem running under the kmember, its the charge pipe that will have more issues, i would advise raising your car back up to stock, but its your car if you are ok with hitting the pipes more often, go for it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightHawk
So was the downpipe coming out the front not cutting it? Was debating changing over to an under-the-k downpipe myself, but using oval tubing to help ground clearance. I can't seem to come up with a setup that doesn't f with the steering shaft and also doesn't pull the downpipe apart.
The downpipe that came with my ebay kit didnt fit over the k member without interfering with the steering shaft so I got frustrated and cut it.

Originally Posted by transammiller
just take a 3" hole saw to the fender and shoot your downpipe out the side. NASTY!!!
Lol, I would leave the exhaust as is but the SCCA and IHRA classes Im going to be in both have to have it behind the rear door.

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
the tti street kit has the up-pipe (charge pipe) the same way.
my car is not lowered. when i had it on, i drove it for a month with no problem, then one time i was ragging on it, i think i hit a bump at about 100mph and sparks flew, put a good size flat section in my charge pipe. also after that it would hit pavement going up and down incline drives and such.
your downpipe shouldnt pose to much of a problem running under the kmember, its the charge pipe that will have more issues, i would advise raising your car back up to stock, but its your car if you are ok with hitting the pipes more often, go for it.
Ya I think Im ok with it lol
Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my buddy's car doing a wheelie in his twin turbo fbody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjrzxgLLIts

Here is a picture of his downpipes smashed flat that he has running under the kmember.

The good news is that they probably saved his pan.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Here is my buddy's car doing a wheelie in his twin turbo fbody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjrzxgLLIts

Here is a picture of his downpipes smashed flat that he has running under the kmember.

The good news is that they probably saved his pan.
LOL! I dont think Ill be doing any wheelies anytime soon. If I was, I sure as hell wouldnt be putting the DPs under the kmember.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
LOL! I dont think Ill be doing any wheelies anytime soon. If I was, I sure as hell wouldnt be putting the DPs under the kmember.
Well then you should be OK just watch out for those tall manhole covers.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Ill probably be switching to a truck manifold or c6/truck manifold setup next winter. Maybe get a setup from KYTP.

Quick Reply: Downpipe under K-member..