Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need advice if you don't mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice if you don't mind

I posted a similar thread a little while ago asking about a certian turbo and got thrashed about it being cheap. If you have the time I would like to pick your brain. I have talked to modualr turbo and he sells turbo for $600 that will get my bone stock ls1 from a 02 vette to around 450-500rwhp range.

I have to make all my piping for this car as it will be a kit car. So, the way the exhaust is layed out it would be easier really to do twin turbos. I get confused on how to pick a turbo. Maps, housing numbers, wastegate mm, bov mm, etc.

So I have the option of the one from modular turbo or small twins..
Can you help me pick a set. I don't want the best there is, looking on a budget. I've been told td04 off of a eclipse by a local guy but they look SO small!! Thank you for your time in advance. Kris
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-faq.html

^^^Read that carefully. That should answer all of your initial questions.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

read all the stickies for that matter, theres really a lot of info in em, helped me bunches when i got started
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I have read alot of that and have general idea of how things work. I'm still reading it in parts but when all you do is read it all starts to run together for me. I guess that I just really want to find out what is a generaly well suited budget turbo for these motors.

I was reading on there about flanges and the amount of air that they let in is directly related to spool up time and how well they perform at high rpms or low rpms. So I would want something towards the middle and up side. But the reading of the maps, and there are just so many turbos out there and every manufactor says they have the best one.

I mean does everybody on here try and match a specifc turbo to their build everytime. I doubt it. I imagine that since these motors have came out that there are a few tried and tested combos that people use because of people before them have done the trial and error part and they know they work well.

Kris
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Mangrum
Yeah, I have read alot of that and have general idea of how things work. I'm still reading it in parts but when all you do is read it all starts to run together for me. I guess that I just really want to find out what is a generaly well suited budget turbo for these motors.

I was reading on there about flanges and the amount of air that they let in is directly related to spool up time and how well they perform at high rpms or low rpms. So I would want something towards the middle and up side. But the reading of the maps, and there are just so many turbos out there and every manufactor says they have the best one.

Kris
What you might try is to call up a couple of the popular turbo manufacturers and discuss your build plan, usage, and power goals with them. Narrow it down to two or three turbos and then maybe post up a public pole.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
What you might try is to call up a couple of the popular turbo manufacturers and discuss your build plan, usage, and power goals with them. Narrow it down to two or three turbos and then maybe post up a public pole.
I agree with what he said, Ive been searching for quite sometime and there are plenty of kits for the stock ls1. On a budget its a little trickier, however the sponsors are known for working up all sorts of kits
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. I guess the reason that I have been hesitant up to this point about calling them is I don't really know alot about turbos. I have dealt with people in the past be it heads, cam, etc that just make you feel like your wasting their time if you don't know everything or you don't have some huge budget. I guess that I thought that it would be easier. I have gotton some good info so far, cobrakiller hooked me up with a pretty informative thread that he made documenting his build. Thanks Kris
Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

contact rob a t modular turbo. he is sponsor here and will help with most questions u have about turbos.
turbo flow is measured in lb/min.
learning to read a compressor map will answer most questions u may have about a certain turbo
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a pic with what I have to work with. I want to go one turbo but you could see how two might be easier.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got a vette. Quit being cheap buy a real bolt on kit for it. Buy even a used aps kit especially if the price is good. Fabricating your kit on the vette is like taking out your own appendix. But hey have fun. And hope you have good fab skills.
But if you insist, the master power that modular sells seem to do good for cheap.
To find out which ones to get you take the airflow of the turbo in lb/min. This is roughly the max hp you can expect out of the turbo or turbos. So for example mits 20g that are found in aps kit. aps claims 50lbmin which would be 1000engine hp. And seen numbers close to that with them although their longevity is in questions. GT35 which am pretty sure were on there upgraded kit are like 75lb min I think which would yield about 1500 hp potential. My modifed lg are rated 70lb.min or 1400 engine hp. Single turbo well you have a 75lb/min you get 750 hp.
Bigger you go more lag. Big singles more lag than smaller twins. Lag might actually help traction. Too much though can get very annoying. Different ways to combat lag. Ways to combat it off the line with manual cars are antilag and two step. On auto cars two step and stall converter pic. Nitrous usually in small shots can help combat lag.
Or you can go bigger cubes to combat lag.

On stock motor you just need a 600 or so max engine hp turbo. If you want some room to grow maybe a 750 hp turbo. Or smaller twins . Like 50lb each. Or as said you can go bigger nothing will happen if you just keep boost low but you better rememeber that you need tuning,fuel support and will start to break stock parts like crazy if you up the power without building things up.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

We must have been posting at the same time. I added a pic above. I don't have a vette. Thats just it. Its a vette motor but its going into a kit car. Sorry, I can't help but be cheap and I have to save around $4000 to $5000 for a transmission that will work with my setup. Thats where my money is going.

Last edited by Kris Mangrum; 04-16-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry kit car ok.. Well you pretty much have to fab everything then .
So here you go cheapest turbos that seem reliable master power.
I would stick with brand name non knock off gates, genuine tial,turbosmart mabye jgs.
Quality t bolt clamps, good silicone couplers. You need fuel support and of course good tuning for FI.
And be warned it will usually become a very very expensive endevour. I am not sure would do it all over again even if won the lotto. I have 40k into my car above the original price of the car new. Its pretty much finished unless decide to go LSX 427 or something even crazier. You can go much cheaper if you stay near 500rwhp or so. Get greedy or want to get more like 800rwhp plus and it gets expensive.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

First, thanks for taking the time to help me. 450 to 500 rwhp will be fine with me. I know that its hard to say thats enough but this car weighs in at 2300lbs. I know that I can go with a vortech setup with enough work, but I really wanted a turbo setup. I was hoping that with enough searching I could put together a setup of some used some new parts for less than $2000. Its just so much to take in. Here is a pic of the finished car.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtm/galle...s/GTMGCB32.jpg
and the company that makes it.
http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Awesome looking car and super light. Yeah it won't take much to get that going bet it goes good now with even a stock ls1.Of course you could hit close to 450rhwp with just good heads like afr 205, fast intake, decent cam and little bolt ons..underdrive,cutouts.

500rwhp would likely not bother with twin unless you just want to take it to shows and be able to say you have a twin turbo kit on there.
Single is way easier in your budget. Just a smaller 600 engine hp turbo for now can always change it bigger later. 42 or 60 pound injectors, decent single fuel pump.
one decent gate ,master power might even have internal gate options that would be fine. A reasonable name brand blow off and then just make your piping. Intercooler are nice to have as well of course.

You can maybe just do this with ebay parts or stock truck manifolds and some fabbed up cold side.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dam a turbo, Put a 500 ci lsx in that thing 500+ at the blip of the throttle lol!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Fabbing up the pipe , I have never done before. But with enough pipe and patience I should be able to come up with something. I just have to figure out how to get the hot side to come together for the turbo and split apart for the exhaust. It should be fun.

I built the 65 shelby cobra before this one and had a blast with it. I used a for 302 with H/C/I and a vortech sq trim at 10psi and made right at 480hp. It was even lighter at 2250lbs.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kris Mangrum
Here is a pic with what I have to work with. I want to go one turbo but you could see how two might be easier.
Man this car is begging for twins. you could mount the turbos towards the tail and flat mount an intercooler then plumb it straight to the t-body
Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Like this...

This is one that another guy built. He has alot more skills than me.

Here's my car being unloaded. I traded the shelby cobra for the two cars on the trailer and the box's with all the parts.

Last edited by CRAGER; 04-17-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: double posting

Quick Reply: Need advice if you don't mind