Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

okay school me on wastegates for my turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default okay school me on wastegates for my turbo setup

okay the turbo kit tha came with my car the guy said it had a 10lb spring in it so i assume that means the lowest it will go is 10lbs i only want to run about 6 to 7 . how do i go about getting a lower lb spring my kit is an Innovative turbo systems kit

and also i have a manual boost controller but i dont think i can turn it below 10lbs can i ?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you are correct. The gate spring is minimum boost you can run wot. You could go under it by not going wot and controlling your right foot but that would be kinda annoying. LOL
So yes replace the spring with lower one if that is what you want. Then your controller will let you go high usually to about double the spring rating on manual controllers. Elecronic can usually go higher.

So what spring you need will depeng on what brand of gate you have. Then go to their website usually to find out correct spring and order it from wherever .Usually quick and easy thing to change depending on gate access.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

See that's another problem it is an innovative Turbo systems wastegate and they are out of business how do I find out what spring will work
Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either replace the spring or get a boost controller then you can run anything less than the 10 lbs just with the press of a button....My ARM tru boost won't allow me to go anyhigher than the spring rate I think each boost controller is a little different.... Some go higher than the spring rate and others don't

Last edited by 52172; 04-17-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 52172
Either replace the spring or get a boost controller then you can run anything less than the 10 lbs just with the press of a button....My ARM tru boost won't allow me to go anyhigher than the spring rate I think each boost controller is a little different.... Some go higher than the spring rate and others don't
Huh????????????
The spring psi rating is the minimum you can go. If you are getting under this your gate is leaking or you have boost leaks in your setup. If you can't boost over your spring rate with a boost controller the controller is setup up wrong or as said you have leaks ,really lousy intercooler ,leaking blow offs, leaks somewhere.

Some boost controllers let you go over double spring rate. Some manuals usually don't.

And I assume you meant AEM boost controller ??? This is why you change out springs. So you can say run 5psi minimum if you have 7.5 psi springs now. And if you can get say double 5psi to 10 max out of manual controller then you want to get 15psi you get 7.5psi base springs.

You have a lot of posts would assume you know this stuff. I have many turbo cars..my trans am,91 race talon, 97 talon, had many many dsms.

If he can't get a spring to run lower cause the company went bye bye then would replace the gate with brand name non knock off gate from tial ,turbosmart, heard jgs were ok. Problem solved. Speed costs money.
Or live with your current minimum boost .As said you can raise above it no problem.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Launching!

not to thread jack, but if i had a 5psi spring. and had no boost controller. would the boost automaticlly be set at 5psi? or creap to 6-7 and then settle at 5?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

It might spike or creep a bit. Depends on several things but should stay pretty close to rating.

I had a 92 talon .Factory boost is like 10psi. Guy cut the cat out and and put on a 3inch catback.Took away all backpressure pretty much on the small stock turbo. Turbo boosted to 20psi .He said it was fast for a few minutes..LOL

Internal gates sometimes dont flow enough and let boost go higher than base springs.
Good external gates normally give good control and harder to control properly at low boost levels than high.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

well i have a tial 44mm wg. i have a 5lb spring. and i only intend on running between 5-8 psi. but since im just finishing my project, id like to start out low and move my way up i have a stock ls1. my exhaust is pretty open though. 3" with a 3" in/out magnaflow 3 chamber muffler (only to keep it quiet). but no cats. just trying to see what i should expect
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mushroom281
See that's another problem it is an innovative Turbo systems wastegate and they are out of business how do I find out what spring will work

there new company is compturbo give him a call he help me out on my gate

Quick Reply: okay school me on wastegates for my turbo setup