Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol plate kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol plate kit?

Hi, i'm about to install a v9 kit on my t/a. I plan on putting on a methanol kit for some added insurance. I want to keep everything pretty clean under the hood. My question is, does anyone make a plate kit for methanol similar to nitrous, or is this even possible?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moddedta
Hi, i'm about to install a v9 kit on my t/a. I plan on putting on a methanol kit for some added insurance. I want to keep everything pretty clean under the hood. My question is, does anyone make a plate kit for methanol similar to nitrous, or is this even possible?
But you would want the Meth to enter upstream of the IAT sensor in order for the PCM to read the lower IAT's while on meth.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Teching In

oh, i have the k&n and the iat sensor is plugged right into the filter?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Launching!

You want the meth to be after your IC, on the turbo buicks we mount ours about 9in in front of the TB. The fuel needs time to do it's work and evaporate, this is what causes the IAT drop.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Teching In

so does it still have to be recorded by the iat sensor or can it be after that in the intake tract?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put it after the IAT sensor, however, by doing this your computer will not be able to pull timing if the meth stops working for whatever reason. This is the primary reason for putting it before the IAT.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Teching In

ok, i just did some research and I believe I am going to install it precompressor on the supercharger
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moddedta
ok, i just did some research and I believe I am going to install it precompressor on the supercharger
Why not just add the meth nozzle to the charge pipe about 10" before the TB and then put the IAT in between the TB and the meth nozzle?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah anyway wouldn't you want the IAT after the blower so that you can see higher IATs from the blower
Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
yeah anyway wouldn't you want the IAT after the blower so that you can see higher IATs from the blower
Absolutely wrong. You want the AIT sensor after the blower & intercooler so the PCM can read what the actual temperature is that will enter the engine.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1290
Absolutely wrong. You want the AIT sensor after the blower & intercooler so the PCM can read what the actual temperature is that will enter the engine.
Isn't that exactly what dschmittie1 was saying? Maybe you quoted the wrong post?

In any event this is absolutely correct. The order should be blower, intercooler, meth, IAT sensor. This way the meth works on the heated air after the supercharger and after the intercooler has done what it could to lower the temp.

If you place the meth before the blower it will cool the ambient air during it's evaporative phase change and will not have any more cooling ability for when it matters after the air has been compressed and heated by the supercharger. Also you will be introducing the meth into the blower where it can come into contact with the seals and can shorten their life.

Likewise if you place the meth before the intercooler a good amount can get trapped by the large surface area of the intercooler and not make it to the motor for the octane increase.

In all cases the IAT should be placed as far up the intake tract, as close to the throttle body as you can so the PCM can read the actual air temperature getting to the engine.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been thinking about 2 nozzles. Could it be beneficial to go blower, meth, IC, meth, IAT, TB?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

It would be best to inject both nozzles after the intercooler. There is ALOT of surface area inside the intercooler which will collect any unevaporated meth and trap it inside the intercooler where it can pool.

Injecting it after the intercooler ensures the full cooling affect from the evaporation and that it will all make it to the intake.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Launching!

not to mention IAT's on meth are usually below ambient so your intercooler will be heating up the meth/intake air.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I read alot about how beneficial running meth before the blower is. I'm thinking about running 2 nozzles. One pre compressor and one post intercooler
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Were these articles specific to a centrifugal supercharger or a roots? They are very different in this regard.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

They were pretty specific to centrifugals and turbos. The articles said that it cools the charge as it is being compressed and that it also increases the efficiency of the blower
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

I may have found the same article, it makes sense the way they lay it out. It would be interesting to see some data collected which shows if there are quantifiable gains with and/or differences with going just pre-compressor, pre-throttle body, and dual injection in both places.

Give it a shot.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Launching!

I have first hand ran two nozzels on a lot of sc cars. You want to run a #1-2 before the blower and then the other before the Tb. The amount of meth that is being used before the blower will flow through the intercooler. It helps cool the blower a lot in high boost cars and keep the air cooler before the intake.

You don't want to use a plate style system to spray your meth because it can be eaten from the meth and you can't get the nozzles to spray fine enough. You should check out cooling mist for meth kits. I have had better success with them as far as hardware, software and customer service.

Last edited by haighter; 05-11-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1290
Yes Aster got what I try to get across. You want the IAT after the blower and IC. He said that right now his IAT is BEFORE the Blower and that is all wrong