Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to DIY build a truck manifold turbo kit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Update!! New numbers with my precision 76gts

Name:  JoshForrestortq.jpg
Views: 4056
Size:  49.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
n2xlr8n66 (08-31-2021)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaking Stuff
Excellent thread!!! Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Keep us posted!

Side note on flux cored welders. I wouldnt weld a turbo kit together with one. Sure it can be made to hold, but its the ugliest thing youll ever see. Flux cored welders, especially the harbor freight variety, makes me never want to pick up a torch again. Just takes all the fun out of it.

I think your thread has inspired me to take the plunge. I have access to all the welders, plasma cutters, and anything else I could possibly need. I was just waiting till I got a little better at tig before I started something like this.
Flux cores can be nasty, you'd be better off getting a better stick welder for the money and practicing your stick welding. A lot of people get ahead of themselves and don't think about the fundamentals when it comes to welding. Make sure your work is clean, when it gets too hot let it cool down, always tests your settings on scrap. If you can help it, weld it in the flat position, horizontal second, overhead third and vertical last. I've had great results with a stick welder, of course I also had a lot of practice, my vertical looked like my flat, and you could barely tell where I restarted, that's with a 6010 rod and an old lincoln
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Great work Killer! Very clean build. I love it when people take the extra attention to detail. I like doing stuff myself because I'm hard pressed to think anybody would care as much as I do about the work I need or needed done. I'm thinking about doing a turbo build one of these days, not as extreme as yours, but I'd like it just as clean.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I hand built the motor too
Man most people use their feet, thats crazy dude!!!

Originally Posted by nghisus
Great work Killer! Very clean build. I love it when people take the extra attention to detail. I like doing stuff myself because I'm hard pressed to think anybody would care as much as I do about the work I need or needed done. I'm thinking about doing a turbo build one of these days, not as extreme as yours, but I'd like it just as clean.
Pretty much sums up how EVERY DIY ls1techer feels for sure!
I dont even like my father helping me out when he can just because you know how you want something done and the ONLY way thats gunna happen is if YOU do it yourself.

I know there are a lot of great shops on this site and many do care about their work but in all honesty, what those people do is a JOB. It pays their bills and feeds their family. At the end of the day thats what they care about, not making sure every nut and bolt is torqued to the right specs on every part in ur engine bay like someone workin on their own vehicle (who cared at least). And if the company DOES care this much, well you better believe you will be spending lots-O-$$$ for that quality control.

ps, nice new #'s. Id much rather have a setup that came full on at 4k rpm for the street than one that didnt till 5k even if it had 50-100 more hp up top. The under the curve/low end is what makes street driving the wonderful experience that it is.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely a lot of great quality shops out there with reputable owners who push out great kits, packages and wrench work. Very seldom though you will find a person who will put the sort of precision and care into a job as you will. However, the do exist, but often times you're going to have to pay for it. And you have the money, its often worth it.

But a good example for me is I like to build my own computers. At first, I wasn't good at it. But now, I know exactly what to do from top to bottom. Every computer I push out is fast and powerful and at the end of the day I did save a big chunk of change.

Cars are the same way. If you're willing to learn, who's to say you won't get really good at it end up with a good product and save some money. You can't learn and do EVERYTHING like grind a cam or port and polish a head, bore out an engine. But I think a turbo or supercharger setup is very doable.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live near Augusta, GA. Any Idea where I can get my hot side coated??
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
I live near Augusta, GA. Any Idea where I can get my hot side coated??
any powdercoating shop should be able to do it for you. if not, you could always ship pit to the place I used. Just google embee performance
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice build killer, what can you exspect to pay to build a kit like this if you have all the tools needed?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Greate workmanship there... been a welder is a great asset in the automotive DYS , here is tip your charge pipe should be as close to the diameter of your throttle body as possible ideally the same diameter... although your numbers are greate, enjoy your nice ride...
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

what fans did u use
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Circa307
nice build killer, what can you exspect to pay to build a kit like this if you have all the tools needed?
wellllll.... id say $200 in piping and flanges, $500 ceramic coating or use heat wrap, then buy the turbo, WG, BOV, those prices can all vary a lot depending on what you get. Also youll have $100 intercooler and prob 2-3 hundred in intercooler piping couplers and clamps.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast00ls1
what fans did u use
two SPAL 10" pushers
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice build man .
You have pics of your oiling sistem for the turbo?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastsspr
Very nice build man .
You have pics of your oiling sistem for the turbo?
I dont have any pictures, but the oil feed is coming from the block above the oil filter, and the drain is going into the driver's side of the oil pan, below the windage tray. I just drilled a large hole and epoxy'd a large brass 90 fitting into the side.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:07 AM

iam very mechanically inclined and sunday is my 33 rd b-day and theres nothing i would rather due then be a part of your pit crew.on my b-day i can change trans,motors,rear ends iam that guy thanks call me 661-599-8477
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beers1978
iam very mechanically inclined and sunday is my 33 rd b-day and theres nothing i would rather due then be a part of your pit crew.on my b-day i can change trans,motors,rear ends iam that guy thanks call me 661-599-8477
hey man, I already got a little crew together (and hopefully I wont need them) haha but youre welcome to stop by and check out the car! Just come find us, I have no idea where we'll be
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting things together for a 4.8 turbo 89 Camaro build and I'm going to be going the truck manifold route. I was wondering why everyone mounts the turbo right in front of the engine? Wouldnt it be easier to just make a crossover from one manifold to a central pipe coming from the other manifold and have one pipe going into the turbo? I would think it would make an easier placement of the turbo with just one pipe to route. Or is there an advantage of both pipes merging right at the turbo?

Also, has anyone tried mounting the manifolds upside-down? does this work or would the pipes come out too high?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

awesome numbers man, this motivates me to do another turbo build!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the ceramic coating holding up? Can you snap a pic? I'm worried about it flaking, and discoloring. What are the chances of keeping the alt on the bottom with these manifolds?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Need_a_Camaro
How's the ceramic coating holding up? Can you snap a pic? I'm worried about it flaking, and discoloring. What are the chances of keeping the alt on the bottom with these manifolds?
The ceramic has held up perfectly. the only thing i have noticed is that it isnt as dark anymore, the color has lightened up slightly but is still def black. No flaking at all. I even scraped a small part of the tube on a curb and scraped the ceramic off, and it hasnt even peeled around that spot. It is adhered really well. Ill see if I can grab some pics soon

Quick Reply: How to DIY build a truck manifold turbo kit!