Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which engine route?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine route?!

Alright I'm back again becuase I'm going to be upgrading my engine soon and cant decide which way to go. I wanted to forge the 346 but though about upgrading to an ls2 engine and forging that (the whole reason i dont want iron block is becuase of the weight) but then i got down and dirty on my thinking and was thinking about just going with an old school SBC engine (400ish) and boosting that one for the ease of parts and its a well proven engine. this is all going in my 2000 TA with a s480 on a 1.10 AR

maybe a sponsor can chime in with their thoughts? thanks for all the help
Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

goals??
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

390 cube shortblock, and we're the one and only shop to offer it.

LS2 version 390ci starts at $3699

Good balance of engine size vs. head unit flow potential

Less stroke equals a stronger piston then whats used in 402/408 (thicker ring lands)

More stroke then a 370 spools head unit many rpms faster with 390.

Our 390 piston are exclusively made by CP-Carrillo, use a gas nitrided steel top ring, napier 2nd ring, standard tension 3.00mm oil ring.

If that wasn't good enough, also uses .180" wall chrom-moly steel piston pins, thickest standard pin you will find in shelf piston.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Teching In

goals for this engine is 1000hp now, my old setup got me to 744hp so everything else is ready. what all else can be done on the engine, you said it started at 3700 for the ls2. i'm sure you have the conversion kit as well? what all powerwise would this shortblock handle? thansk for the help everyone
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black Raven
goals for this engine is 1000hp now, my old setup got me to 744hp so everything else is ready. what all else can be done on the engine, you said it started at 3700 for the ls2. i'm sure you have the conversion kit as well? what all powerwise would this shortblock handle? thansk for the help everyone
Best upgrades

Compstar H beam rods, $150
ARP main studs $188

Aftermarket cylinder head will keep head gaskets sealed, something like TFS 220 heads, Dart 225, something basic. Combined with ARP head studs.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Alright I'm back again becuase I'm going to be upgrading my engine soon and cant decide which way to go. I wanted to forge the 346 but though about upgrading to an ls2 engine and forging that (the whole reason i dont want iron block is becuase of the weight) but then i got down and dirty on my thinking and was thinking about just going with an old school SBC engine (400ish) and boosting that one for the ease of parts and its a well proven engine. this is all going in my 2000 TA with a s480 on a 1.10 AR
i think you should go with the old school sbc. dart or bowtie block with a set AFR or brodix track 1 cylinderheads. Would you rather have a LSx engine with 4 headbolts per cylinder or a sbc with 5 headbolts per cylinder ????
Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topend
i think you should go with the old school sbc. dart or bowtie block with a set AFR or brodix track 1 cylinderheads. Would you rather have a LSx engine with 4 headbolts per cylinder or a sbc with 5 headbolts per cylinder ????
There is no comparison in strenght going from a SBC to an LS. The LS engines have 6 bolt mains, a deep skirted block, a much stronger valley area, structural oil pans, and head bolts that pull from the bottom.

If you're worried about the number of head bolts, get an LSX block. They are 6 head bolts per cylinder and will take damn near anything you can throw at them.

If power and reliability is the goal, no question the LSX is the much better choice over the SBC.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
There is no comparison in strenght going from a SBC to an LS. The LS engines have 6 bolt mains, a deep skirted block, a much stronger valley area, structural oil pans, and head bolts that pull from the bottom.

If you're worried about the number of head bolts, get an LSX block. They are 6 head bolts per cylinder and will take damn near anything you can throw at them.

If power and reliability is the goal, no question the LSX is the much better choice over the SBC.
An LSX block weighs nearly the same as a Dart Big M block . You might as well go BBC .

I dont see the advantage of using 2 extra 3/8" ish headbolts per cylinder on the LSX.

power in sbc is not a problem.
Andy Jensens corvette with a turbo 427 sbc has been in the high 3 second range in 1/8 mile.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 AM
FormerVendor

This is a budget build with a BW S480

Theirs many LS motors in the 8s running stock block with a turbo.

Customer of ours went 8.80 with LS2 stock block/heads built w/ forged rods/pistons, 4718 turbo at 28psi (in a 4th gen camaro)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AES Racing
This is a budget build with a BW S480

Theirs many LS motors in the 8s running stock block with a turbo.

Customer of ours went 8.80 with LS2 stock block/heads built w/ forged rods/pistons, 4718 turbo at 28psi (in a 4th gen camaro)

there are many sbc running 8s with or without a turbo.

010 blocks on n2o have been in the 5.30`s in the 1/8.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:27 AM
FormerVendor

there are many sbc running 8s with or without a turbo.

010 blocks on n2o have been in the 5.30`s in the 1/8.
I think you missed my point? what i'm saying, don't need a LSX block for a budget turbo build, which was implied by some.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Go with the iron block and stay with the LS engine. One quick look at both blocks side by side will tell you the LS type engine is much stronger with webbing and strength built in by GM. Don't take my word for it. There is material written by GM that describes how much stronger the new block is. Also the new cathedral type heads flow better than most racing heads for the sbc.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hal.698
Go with the iron block and stay with the LS engine. One quick look at both blocks side by side will tell you the LS type engine is much stronger with webbing and strength built in by GM. Don't take my word for it. There is material written by GM that describes how much stronger the new block is. Also the new cathedral type heads flow better than most racing heads for the sbc.
Exactly.

Strength wise, the LS series is much stronger and more capable than the SBC, which dates all the way back to 1955.

Not to mention putting a SBC in any car these days is about as original as putting butter on bread. SBC's have been put in damn near every car in existance with every imagineable combination of parts.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AES Racing
390 cube shortblock, and we're the one and only shop to offer it.

LS2 version 390ci starts at $3699

Good balance of engine size vs. head unit flow potential

Less stroke equals a stronger piston then whats used in 402/408 (thicker ring lands)

More stroke then a 370 spools head unit many rpms faster with 390.

Our 390 piston are exclusively made by CP-Carrillo, use a gas nitrided steel top ring, napier 2nd ring, standard tension 3.00mm oil ring.

If that wasn't good enough, also uses .180" wall chrom-moly steel piston pins, thickest standard pin you will find in shelf piston.

Do want....
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hal.698

SBC are just as strong if not stronger than LSx engines. Check out the new brodix or dart sbc shortblocks. They also offer a 4.5" bore space sbc.

Could the cathedral cylinderhead beat sb2.2 , cfe sbx , brodix/dart/gm 18*,15*,12* , allpro raised runner 23* cylinderheads?? i could go on.

55 years of sbc vs 13 years of LSx , its the way i see it.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Or the SBC with the LSx Top end
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IWGF
Do want....
Will have
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SBC are just as strong if not stronger than LSx engines. Check out the new brodix or dart sbc shortblocks. They also offer a 4.5" bore space sbc.

Could the cathedral cylinderhead beat sb2.2 , cfe sbx , brodix/dart/gm 18*,15*,12* , allpro raised runner 23* cylinderheads?? i could go on.

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. BUDGET BUILD.

A "stock" SBC block is only good to 500 rwhp ish. So if you want to hang with a stock LQ9, you'll need to start with an aftermarket SBC block. That means another $2,000 before you start. I'm pretty sure that no stock SBC head can hang with the flow numbers of a stock 317. So now you have to drop money on heads as well just to be the same.

There is no question, atleast with me, that if money is no object, you can go faster with a no holds bared SBC. If your goal is under 1500 hp, it's way cheaper to build a reliable LSx platform.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, they're not. It really doesn't matter "how you see it", facts are facts.

Engineers analyzed the SBC from top to bottom and then used the information they learned to build the LS engines. Meaning everything is a new and improved design in one way or another. The LS has a much stronger valley area, much better head bolt and valve cover design, much better intake/exhaust design (no more ancient symmetrical ports), a much stronger deep skirted block, and 6 bolt main bearings. The engine sealing of the LSx is also light years ahead of the SBC, which has a tendency to leak from everywhere. How can you argue with facts??

We're not talking aftermarket racing blocks vs. stock blocks here, we're talking stock LSx vs. stock SBC, which is what your average person can afford to build and run.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT. BUDGET BUILD.

A "stock" SBC block is only good to 500 rwhp ish. So if you want to hang with a stock LQ9, you'll need to start with an aftermarket SBC block. That means another $2,000 before you start. I'm pretty sure that no stock SBC head can hang with the flow numbers of a stock 317. So now you have to drop money on heads as well just to be the same.

There is no question, atleast with me, that if money is no object, you can go faster with a no holds bared SBC. If your goal is under 1500 hp, it's way cheaper to build a reliable LSx platform.
I see what your saying on much your ahead if u go with LSx but on the downside you get an engine that pushes water . Now if you would have a sbc and a LSx engine made to reliably handle 1500hp the cost would nearly be the same.

so far in this thread the original poster has not mentioned the word budget or how much is in his budget.

Engineers analyzed the SBC from top to bottom and then used the information they learned to build the LS engines. Meaning everything is a new and improved design in one way or another. The LS has a much stronger valley area, much better head bolt and valve cover design, much better intake/exhaust design (no more ancient symmetrical ports), a much stronger deep skirted block, and 6 bolt main bearings. The engine sealing of the LSx is also light years ahead of the SBC, which has a tendency to leak from everywhere. How can you argue with facts??

We're not talking aftermarket racing blocks vs. stock blocks here, we're talking stock LSx vs. stock SBC, which is what your average person can afford to build and run.
My 5.3L leaks/burns nearly 2 quarts of oil per oil change interval. Also has piston slap when cold.

Quick Reply: Which engine route?!