Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil drip from rear exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drip from rear exhaust.

I have a D1SC 01 Camaro and after the first run with the car after a long winter I've noticed a bit of an oil drip coming out of the tail pipe the next morning. Oil levels are good, the air filter is fresh but the oil looks to be engine oil. I'm thinking blow by, but the motor is strong and runs really good and with zero detonation. I'm quite concerned. I currently don't have a catch can in the car, is this something I should concider or do I have bigger problems then this.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Great. No love. Guess I'll try a different forum.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

just because it isnt detonating doesnt mean its a good motor. is it the original short block? how long has it been supercharged? how much is "a little bit" of oil? does it have cats or mufflers?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kmracer
just because it isnt detonating doesnt mean its a good motor. is it the original short block? how long has it been supercharged? how much is "a little bit" of oil? does it have cats or mufflers?
It's the origional motor and has 32,000 miles, it was Procharged 5000 miles ago, bought the car as I have it now. No cats in the car. I have to do a closer inspection and pull all the plugs. Check PCV etc. The motor doesn't smoke either but I'll check again. It was a small puddle about 3 inches in diameter, but it was on cardboard. I can't find a single leak on the car anywhere other then on that cardboard sitting under the rear tail pipe.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by KJS408; 04-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

are u sure it was oil and not water? i have a black soot like film inside my tips and sometimes it drips water from the exhaust. could that have been it?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KJS408
It's the origional motor and has 32,000 miles, it was Procharged 5000 miles ago, bought the car as I have it now. No cats in the car. I have to do a closer inspection and pull all the plugs. Check PCV etc. The motor doesn't smoke either but I'll check again. It was a small puddle about 3 inches in diameter, but it was on cardboard. I can't find a single leak on the car anywhere other then on that cardboard sitting under the rear tail pipe.

Thanks for your reply.
i had a car that dripped oil out the exhaust ...the oil was going by the worn out piston rings and not burning through the exhaust it was real bad cause of it was from overheating and still running it till it shut off the pistons scored the sides of the block so bad i was getting alot of oil out the exhaust
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtsta02
are u sure it was oil and not water? i have a black soot like film inside my tips and sometimes it drips water from the exhaust. could that have been it?
I have the same thing happen with the water
op did you stick your finger in the puddle and feel to see if it was actually oil?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ this was my thought as well, black soot. moisture builds in the exhaust and muffler and comes out when you start it after a long sitting. i'd imagine oil would have a long way to travel all the way through the mufflers, especially without being burnt off first.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Okay, so it is oil that's for sure, but I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I mis-diagnosed the difference between gear oil and motor oil when I ran my finger through it. Ulgh,

So the problem is that my Moser 12 Bolt has a leaky gasket from the top bolt and it pissed on the back of the muffler and part of the gas tank. It all acumilated on the floor directly below the muffler so the first thing I thought of was something was dripping out the exhaust. Sorry guys I should have had a closer look before posting this.
Need a diff gasket and rear end service and that should be that unless there is damage in rear end, that should be that.

Thanks to everyone who responded, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Oil drip from rear exhaust.