Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Confused. Vented or sealed catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused. Vented or sealed catch can?

Ok im confused, i keep reading. And i get more and more confuse as i read. I think i want a vented catch can. but then im not sure. I also have seen lots of diagrams on how to hook them up witch make it more confusing because they are different. For now. Im just using it on a stock bottom ls1 with f1a. around 8psi i hope. but plan on building an 408 after and running more boost. so only want to do this one time... thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It's impossible for any catch can to work if it cannot breathe. In much the same way if you close your mouth, you cannot breathe ( forgetting the nose of course )

And there must be a thousand different guides here if you search.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Yes there are a thousand different guides on here. That's what makes it confusing because the run them different ways. And i know it has to breath, But some seems to use a catch cant that has a filter on top. Then some pull from a vacuum source and have no filter on top of the can.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a vented catch can that just catches the oil vapors that are pressurized in the crankcase. I know a lot of people that have a catch can that has a vacuum back to the intake, but I don't like the idea of sucking oil vapors into the intake, I just feel that it coats everything with oil including the plugs.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

couldnt you convert the ls1 pcv system to the ls6 style and avoid using a catch can or would it still be a good idea to use 1 on a boosted app
Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Remove all the pcv crap and just run a hose from each valve cover to a vented catch can. I use two. Then block off the two ports at the intake and your all set. I mounted my cans down behind my headlights to avoid any smell, as its a daily driver.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

As for ls6 style, you would need a one way valve to keep boost out of the crankcase. But your still going to have pressure buildup and probably shoot the dipstick out.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Can have a line into the can and a line out to the intake, or a line into a can and a breather for exit.

Depends if you want or need pcv. I do!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
Can have a line into the can and a line out to the intake, or a line into a can and a breather for exit.

Depends if you want or need pcv. I do!
Yea dave pretty much figured out the pcv system himself and made it work under boost. I'm pretty sure he guided Rice Etr on how to set it up on my car and make it work on it too.

If you take anyone's advice on the PCV system take his.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
couldnt you convert the ls1 pcv system to the ls6 style and avoid using a catch can or would it still be a good idea to use 1 on a boosted app
Still a good idea to use one with the ls6 style whether you're boosted or not. Just ask someone with a z06. It's an overall better design but you still get oil vapor and a good can will help remove more of it, which is after all, why you use one.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Banned

Thanks for the feedback all. Im thinking Im just going to go with one with a filter. Witch is also called a Breather tank right? And just run lines from both valve covers to it. Now the next question.. Are they all the same? or is there some better and why? thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
MASS seller approved

The only reason to vent to atmosphere is if you can't plumb a system to keep up with excessive blow by. If you have blow by bad enough that you can't plumb a PCV system to keep up you have larger issues than a pcv system is going to fix. A dual can PCV system with the proper connection points and hose sizes, filter media, will work properly and evacuate the crankcase under all conditions. You are basically using manifold vacuum below atmospheric and intake tract vacuum behind the air filter when manifold pressure is above atmospheric (and airflow/vacuum through the intake duct is higher).
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnmaster
The only reason to vent to atmosphere is if you can't plumb a system to keep up with excessive blow by. If you have blow by bad enough that you can't plumb a PCV system to keep up you have larger issues than a pcv system is going to fix. A dual can PCV system with the proper connection points and hose sizes, filter media, will work properly and evacuate the crankcase under all conditions. You are basically using manifold vacuum below atmospheric and intake tract vacuum behind the air filter when manifold pressure is above atmospheric (and airflow/vacuum through the intake duct is higher).
My main reason for wanting to just vent to atmosphere. Is i simply dont really want to draw vacuum from my intake before my procharger. I would be scared the insides of my intercooler and all might suffer if i do.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but out of all the thread's i've read tonight, this one makes the most sense.

So let me get this right, you can run a hose from the 1 drivers side valve cover port, and the 2 passenger side valve cover ports into a catch can. Then you just vent the catch can into the atmosphere?

I'm with you guys in saying, i don't want the air inside the crank case to be sucked back into the intake. Even if the catch can is catching all the oil vapor and mist.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A catch can alone is not a PCV system it does nothing except collect oil that would have splashed out your breathers if they were on the engine. A relocation of the breather is all it is.

If you dont want the gasses back in your engine run them out the exhaust. I just used the factory check valve off the air pump system and attach it the sealed catch can. It constantly generates vacuum to the canister.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
A catch can alone is not a PCV system it does nothing except collect oil that would have splashed out your breathers if they were on the engine. A relocation of the breather is all it is.
unless you incorporate the pcv system into the clean side and route back to the intake as oem intended

Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Vented and it better be good especially on E85. Just made this video the other day. This is from ~150 miles of street/hwy driving on E85 with the now cooler temps. I have 2 10an lines into this tank. In the warmer weather double the miles and you'll get the same moisture in it. Definitely don't want this in your oil

Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
unless you incorporate the pcv system into the clean side and route back to the intake as oem intended

Buy one from MIGHTYMOUSE! Mine works great! And I'm pretty sure that's my wrinkle black can he's holding.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
Buy one from MIGHTYMOUSE! Mine works great! And I'm pretty sure that's my wrinkle black can he's holding.
What's the price on this?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

pm'd you!

Quick Reply: Confused. Vented or sealed catch can?