Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI Race FMIC vs CXRacing FMIC vs ATI Twin 4.5 IC

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATI Race FMIC vs CXRacing FMIC vs ATI Twin 4.5 IC

Does anyone have any direct comparisons between these intercoolers?

I always hear how much better a FMIC is compaired to the ATI 4.5" twin intercoolers but how much better?

What about the ATI Race FMIC vs the CXRacing 31"x12"x4" FMIC... I have read they produce the same performance but are there any numbers to support this? It looks like the ATI is larger and a higher quality intercooler that should be superior to the CXRacing intercooler. Does anyone know the dimensions of the ATI?

I see that CXRacing has an even larger 36"x12"x4" FMIC, has anyone used it yet?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MstgKillr
Does anyone have any direct comparisons between these intercoolers?

I always hear how much better a FMIC is compaired to the ATI 4.5" twin intercoolers but how much better?

What about the ATI Race FMIC vs the CXRacing 31"x12"x4" FMIC... I have read they produce the same performance but are there any numbers to support this? It looks like the ATI is larger and a higher quality intercooler that should be superior to the CXRacing intercooler. Does anyone know the dimensions of the ATI?

I see that CXRacing has an even larger 36"x12"x4" FMIC, has anyone used it yet?
How much power are you wanting to make? Unless you're talking 900-1000+ any of those intercoolers will be fine. If you're wanting more than that think A2W.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would definitely got to a FMIC vs dual intercoolers simply because of the simplicity of it and it's more efficient when you're not splitting the boost to two different intercoolers, only to merge back together again before the throttle body.

Now which FMIC intercooler is better, I don't know. I do know that I was running about 15psi max boost and my IAT's stayed with 10-15 degrees above ambient from a second gear roll to mid way through 4th gear, and I only have a 3" wide intercooler.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean the smart way to go is the cx or whatever fmic...but I did happen to get the ATI piece since it was only 200 extra from Bob vs the twin 4.5's......and i do not like the idea of a "plenum" or "merge" at the top vs a clean looking single pipe going into the TB. But I am almost willing to bet the ATI piece is nicer. It is also pretty heavy, and bigger than youd expect. Just my $0.02. youd be nuts to by it by itself.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your making less than 1000rwhp. buy the $255 CXracing kit. i did. its easy to install and its actually a high quality piece. anything over that you'd want A2W as previously mentioned.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I would definitely got to a FMIC vs dual intercoolers simply because of the simplicity of it and it's more efficient when you're not splitting the boost to two different intercoolers, only to merge back together again before the throttle body.

Now which FMIC intercooler is better, I don't know. I do know that I was running about 15psi max boost and my IAT's stayed with 10-15 degrees above ambient from a second gear roll to mid way through 4th gear, and I only have a 3" wide intercooler.
I would tend to agree but is there any proof that a FMIC is more efficient? If so, what kind of increased performance are we talking about in terms of power? I read people talking about lower IATs and I understand that lower a IAT will make more power but how much more?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allout06
if your making less than 1000rwhp. buy the $255 CXracing kit. i did. its easy to install and its actually a high quality piece. anything over that you'd want A2W as previously mentioned.
I already have the ATI 4.5" Twin Intercoolers and plan on using an Alky Control Meth Kit but within the next 6-12 months I plan on building the motor and maxing out a D-1SC or a F-1A. I am not sure how much these head units are making now but I would assume anywhere from 700 to 1000 rwhp.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would tend to agree but is there any proof that a FMIC is more efficient? If so, what kind of increased performance are we talking about in terms of power? I read people talking about lower IATs and I understand that lower a IAT will make more power but how much more?

Airflow into the motor is no different than out of the motor in terms of what helps and what hurts. The less bends and the less severe they are the better. Everytime airflow has to change directions, you lose efficiency. I remember reading on here that guys were seeing more psi by simply changing from the dual intercoolers to a single FMIC which shows that there was less restriction in the charge pipe setup.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

When you start pushing past 14 psi with the twin intercoolers, they'll get so hot you don't want to leave your hand on them.

The CX Racing 31 x 12 x 4 intercooler is generally a very good intercooler, it's what we used with our EPP front mounts that we sold back at the old shop that I managed. The quality control on the CX Racing intercoolers is suspect though, as I recently had a customer that I have sold a lot of ProCharger parts to, install the CX Racing intercooler 31 x 12 x 4 on his GTO, and the intercooled ended up having a major restriction inside it. He didn't know exactly where or what the problem was in it, but I sold him the ProCharger GTO Race intercooler and his boost went up dramatically. He had tried everything trying to find where the restriction was with the CX Racing intercooler prior to swapping it out. We had a similar situation back at the old shop and I ended up sending out another CX Racing intercooler out to the customer which ended his low boost problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

I already have the ATI 4.5" Twin Intercoolers and plan on using an Alky Control Meth Kit but within the next 6-12 months I plan on building the motor and maxing out a D-1SC or a F-1A. I am not sure how much these head units are making now but I would assume anywhere from 700 to 1000 rwhp.
i bought my kit used and it came with the twins. i sold them here on the classifieds for $750. then got the CXRacing kit. the D1 is good for about 800-850rwhp. depending on your supporting mod. anything past that your really hurting yourself because the incoming air will b extremely hot as bob mentioned. the F1A is a much more efficient blower, you dont have to spin it as hard to make the same amount of boost as you would with a D1.

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
When you start pushing past 14 psi with the twin intercoolers, they'll get so hot you don't want to leave your hand on them.

The CX Racing 31 x 12 x 4 intercooler is generally a very good intercooler, it's what we used with our EPP front mounts that we sold back at the old shop that I managed. The quality control on the CX Racing intercoolers is suspect though, as I recently had a customer that I have sold a lot of ProCharger parts to, install the CX Racing intercooler 31 x 12 x 4 on his GTO, and the intercooled ended up having a major restriction inside it. He didn't know exactly where or what the problem was in it, but I sold him the ProCharger GTO Race intercooler and his boost went up dramatically. He had tried everything trying to find where the restriction was with the CX Racing intercooler prior to swapping it out. We had a similar situation back at the old shop and I ended up sending out another CX Racing intercooler out to the customer which ended his low boost problem. Bob
I wonder if that was just a rare occasion Bob? there's a lot of guys running lots of boost through CXracing IC's on here. id like to test mine just to be sure...hmmm...Im makin 5.5-6psi with my setup with a 4.38" pulley.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

CXRacing has an even larger 36"x12"x4" FMIC, has anyone used it yet?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

yes i have it. heresy the exact kit i bought

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=84076180122
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes i have it. heresy the exact kit i bought

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=84076180122
That link listed the 31"x12"x4" intercooler and not the larger 36"x12"x4" intercooler. Which one do you have?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

o i just paid attention to the core thickness. i have the 31".
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder if that was just a rare occasion Bob? there's a lot of guys running lots of boost through CXracing IC's on here. id like to test mine just to be sure...hmmm...Im makin 5.5-6psi with my setup with a 4.38" pulley.
I'd have to say it is rare, but it lends me to believe they have poor quality control. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: ATI Race FMIC vs CXRacing FMIC vs ATI Twin 4.5 IC