Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

exhaust size and no muffler post videos

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust size and no muffler post videos

I am curious to hear opinions from those who may know first hand or likewise what would be better on exhaust size. 3" or 4"? Im doing a single side pipe out the fender and half way down the rocker on the pasenger side of my corvette. I'm thinking no muffler, but may go with one, cant decide. I have an SLP system from a F-body I can cut up and make work pretty well, its 3" diameter.

I would love to see some photos, videos of those running 3" or 4" and what kind of sound I could expect with no muffler. I currently am running dual flowmaster super44's dumped before the rear end, and they are loud, so I'm sure it wouldnt be much worse. Also my turbo has 3.5" outlet area but the v-band is like something crazy of a 5". I figured I could weld a 4" v-band on there and be good to go.

Please help me debate this....
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be of some help. Right now my 4" is dumped towards the ground right at the firewall. Saturday, I'll be finishing it so it dumps by the rear end. I'm making it from mandrel bends, so I'll be able to video sound clips at pretty much anywhere along the way back. I'm doing 4" aluminum all the way back, with a 4" Vibrant aluminum muffler finishing it off. I can tell you that the way it is right now, being dumped right at the fire wall, it's quieter than it was pre turbo with long tubes going into 4" and into a Magnaflow muffler dumped at the rear. Turbos are excellent mufflers.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Launching!

I would be very interested to know how that sounds and hear it. Seems very similar to what I'm thinking asside from the aluminum piping. I would love to know if there is a difference in pitch from the different length of tubeing as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

here is mine, open 5" downpipe out of a t6 turbo, 364ci ls and a 230/230 cam

[youtube]DScH15bxEeg[/youtube]
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is mine. I originally had a dump right under my pedals but that got kinda old. My brother in law is the man and was able to make a nice custom 3" piece that mates up with my magnaflow catback. It's super quiet and I can open the cutout if I really want to but even then I only show a 10whp drop going through my catback. My main bottle neck is the 68mm turbine wheel on my TC78 so my exhaust doesn't create a whole lot of back pressure.

This with a turn down is what I had

We marked and pulled the hotside out and cut/flanged the DP and welded on a new o2 bung

Now I know that having a catback on this car is a backpressure issue and my plan was always to put a DMH electric cutout as close to the turbo as possible. Mike welded up some flanges and now it's about where the dump was so this way I can open it up for those spirited occasions and be quiet for most driving.

Mocked up with the cutout.

Installed with cutout dump and fully welded. The area where it meets the catback is slip tubing so we will use a band clamp that came with the magnaflow catback.

Some closeups of his welds.

Here is a video with the cutout open and closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjpzNAVikGM
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM
9 Second Club

Heres a vid of my 4" dumped right at the firewall. I'll be finishing up the rest this week, and will get another vid.

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...0528-00000.mp4

Last edited by Need_a_Camaro; 05-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

i got two 3" pipes right out of the front bumper on each side. ill have video of the sound tomorrow. and i have two 4x9 magnaflow muffler right in front of the tires
Attached Thumbnails exhaust size and no muffler post videos-new-new-pics-030.jpg   exhaust size and no muffler post videos-new-new-pics-018.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

willizm...those welds look awsome. those coolers under your car. tranny coolers looped together?
if so whats the temps get up to with back to back pasess. they seem like it might not get much air tuck up to the floor pan
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Search bad6as on youtube
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

The older videos are 4" dp and the newer ones have a huge muffler. Flip threw my build thread
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Great stuff, keep it coming. I have always loved the cutout idea. Gotta love pulling up on someone on the street and letting them think you are stock until that thing opens up.

Quick Reply: exhaust size and no muffler post videos