Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How do I use nitrous to help build boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I use nitrous to help build boost?

My car has been running extremely well. It is running a 118mph in the 1/8th but only 6.38 is its best. I have tried everything to build boost and really don't want to change the convertor or mess with the tune. Bare with me here. The reason being is my car weighs 4000lbs and I never dreamed of running 118mph. I don't want to take a chance of losing how well the car runs once it gets 80ft out.

I have tried different 2 step settings on the transbrake, tried footbrakeing to build boost, etc.. The car leaves on about 3 psi and is a dog until about 80ft and then runs like a raped ape.

Here is what I want to do. I have a Nitrous Express Hitman kit that I was going to use on my old big block. It has been drilled already for E85. I run the vic jr. manifold and tall edelbrock elbow. The plate should fit there no problem. I have a 2 step, run factory computer, and have a toggle switch to arm the trans brake first. I do that so I can drive the car in reverse without having to push in the trans brake. With that said, what would I need to do run a 50 shot of nitrous and have it activate off the transbrake but either have it kick off prior to the 1-2 shift or have it activate off the transbrake and then spray from 3500-6,000rpms. This way it would activate in each gear but shut off prior to accidentally hitting the rev limiter. I figured a 50 shot would spool up the turbos quickly and also cool down the intake air temps a little throughout the run.. I am not sure I could do it that way or not. I do run meth/water injection that kicks on at 10lbs of boost. The best thing to do would probably just use the 50 shot to get the car the first 80ft or first 2 secs of the pass.

Anyways, how would I go about wiring this up and what would be your suggestion to use the kit I already have? Next week is the 275 race at our dragstrip and I want to show up and surprise some people. No reason the car couldn't run sub 6 if I could get it to launch.

I found this. Not sure if it would work or not. Looks like it would kick on with as much nitrous as I want and kick off at a certain boost level. Just not sure if it would work with EFI and factory pcm.
http://www.zex.com/zx/wet-nitrous-management-unit.html#

Last edited by Wicked69; 06-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

whats the current 60ft times???? cheers
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Tenured Member

I would use a window switch to control the kit to spool the turbos until you hit 10lbs, once you hit 10lbs on your setup it's at full boost within a split second.

Have the window switch activate using the transbrake button in conjuction with a full throttle switch as well. This way the spray only turns on after the TB button is released. Have the window switch on from 3k-5k rpm or whatever your lowest rpm is after the 1-2 shift. Say you shift it at 6500rpm and after the shift it drops to 5500rpm then have the window switch turn off at 5500rpm.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

i used relays to wire my nitrous to not activate while on tbrake.... then u might be able wire a time delay backwards or progressive... or just use a hobbs switch to deactivate after 10psi.... and yes WICKED ur car is moving... im building a stang maybe u can shoot me some pointers
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim @ LSX Transport
I would use a window switch to control the kit to spool the turbos until you hit 10lbs, once you hit 10lbs on your setup it's at full boost within a split second.

Have the window switch activate using the transbrake button in conjuction with a full throttle switch as well. This way the spray only turns on after the TB button is released. Have the window switch on from 3k-5k rpm or whatever your lowest rpm is after the 1-2 shift. Say you shift it at 6500rpm and after the shift it drops to 5500rpm then have the window switch turn off at 5500rpm.
The window switch, it can be used with the factory pcm? Doesn't need to be used with an MSD necessarily?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

When you're on the line with foot on the floor and transbrake active ready to launch, what rpm are you seeing ?

Basically if you retard the timing enough there, you'll be able to make enough boost to blow it to bits. It's just like an anti-lag setup where you are firing the spark when the exhaust valve is open which will spool the turbo very very fast.
Ideally you'd have strategies in place to limit boost and EGT's as they can easily get out of control.
No idea how you'd implement it on the factor ecu though. It's a common feature on most standalones used for launch control.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you would want to advance timing on a transbrake, retard timing on a remote mount and/or 6 speed
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
you would want to advance timing on a transbrake, retard timing on a remote mount and/or 6 speed
If for whatever reason he is at an rpm and load where he can never make boost....you can add all the advance in the world and it will do sweet fa.

Do as I say and you can pretty much make as much boost as you want anywhere.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

You will be much happier and thank yourself if you just get the right converter. Save the old one and call PTC, Chance, Coan etc and get once specd for you. It will save headaches and possible blown up motor(s).

Quick Reply: How do I use nitrous to help build boost?