Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what other upgrades should be made to aps tt kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what other upgrades should be made to aps tt kit?

Say I found a brand new in box aps tt kit with the lg turbos and turbosmart 38mm wg's.... What other miss to this kit should be made before attempting high hp on it I know about the inlets and so does the guy I'm going to (boost performance) but what other mods to the kit would u do or did do. Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrade the drain hoses to 10AN. The stock ones are rubber with hose clamps. I did mine and I think I recall it costed me about $150 total. Including buying the turbo drain 10AN adapters (x2).

Stock APS kit doesn't come with a boost controller obviously. You could hook up something expensive like AMS1000 or Eboost 2, but I chose to just simply go with twin MBC's on the stock line that goes from the compressor housing to the WG. It is inexpensive, still does a good job, and the reference line is as short as it possibly can be.

Only other thing I could think of would be BOV's. The APS kit comes with twin Bosch Plastic ones that are usually found on stock Audi/Volkswagen. I would do something like put a single one between the exit of the intercooler and the opening of the throttle body (This is assuming you are running a SD setup and do not have a MAF there).
Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Upgrade the drain hoses to 10AN. The stock ones are rubber with hose clamps. I did mine and I think I recall it costed me about $150 total. Including buying the turbo drain 10AN adapters (x2).

Stock APS kit doesn't come with a boost controller obviously. You could hook up something expensive like AMS1000 or Eboost 2, but I chose to just simply go with twin MBC's on the stock line that goes from the compressor housing to the WG. It is inexpensive, still does a good job, and the reference line is as short as it possibly can be.

Only other thing I could think of would be BOV's. The APS kit comes with twin Bosch Plastic ones that are usually found on stock Audi/Volkswagen. I would do something like put a single one between the exit of the intercooler and the opening of the throttle body (This is assuming you are running a SD setup and do not have a MAF there).
What do I do about the location the stock bovs are at? Also I read somewhere about a scavenge pump people put on the aps kit? I'm new to turbos and everything about a kit I'm more procharged oriented lol
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

You could do a couple things. You could actually just bring the cold side pipes to a shop and have the ports cut off and welded up to be sealed.

The stock BOV's recirculate into the pipe for the air inlet into the turbo. So on that pipe (The pipe with the filter on it) you would be fine with just buying some rubber stoppers from homedepot that are supposed to go on the bottoms of chairs, and just putting those on there and make sure they seal well. There is just vacuum behind there, so it won't be too hard to get it to seal.

Yeah you can DEFINITELY run a scavenger pump on the kit if you like. Definitely nothing stopping you from doing that. I might be wrong, but I think the GTO and Vette APS kits have to have a scavenger pump. But I could be wrong.

I was REALLY careful when I made my stainless steel braided 10AN hoses and fittings that they were still kinda downward flowing to gravity drain well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome thanks for the advice!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

I just noticed the kit includes upgraded turbosmart kompact bovs that are direct replacements so i guess that issue is settled.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

Its not an upgrade but rather something to keep in mind, the oil supply line for the passenger turbo is metal and close to the starter. Make sure that the plastic sleeve is pushed all the way over to cover the line near the starter. My sleeve moved on me, causing the oil line to hit the power wire on the starter. This caused the line to melt all the way through and the heat from the turbos ignited the oil and started a small fire. Luckily nothing was damaged other than the line and main power wire to the starter.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTLS1WS6
Its not an upgrade but rather something to keep in mind, the oil supply line for the passenger turbo is metal and close to the starter. Make sure that the plastic sleeve is pushed all the way over to cover the line near the starter. My sleeve moved on me, causing the oil line to hit the power wire on the starter. This caused the line to melt all the way through and the heat from the turbos ignited the oil and started a small fire. Luckily nothing was damaged other than the line and main power wire to the starter.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTLS1WS6
Not even kidding... I had this EXACT thing happen. It was grounding to the wire, cut the wire in half and started a small fire. I then wrapped every wire or line that was near the starter in Earl's Flame guard.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-731008ERL/
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

I'll def have to pick some up thanks! Just curious on the scavenger pump thing Wat would it benefit and how like I said me+turbo setup=a lot to learn lol
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

? The pics where posted for what reason??
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Sorry i forgot the typing part ..lool

i meant that by adding turbos you may needs to think more about cooling..
So you need to upgrade the fans and the rediator if you planing to use the ac and your state is 90 plus degree like here in the gulf and if you can go with vented hood it will be a blast...

For me : right now i have a custom front bumper and custom vented hood and i didnt installed the ac because i have another car so if i want the ac i must upgrade the cooling parts on the car because i can see and feel all the heat under the hood right now without the ac !!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

I was looking at the Ron Davis radiator I know it pricey but I hear nothing but a+ things I'm hoping the stocl water pump will suffice if not I guess I will grab a mwp as well
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

i hope everything go smooth and well for you.

this is the custom hood and bumper to give you idea about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

I'm torn between the cbr kit and this kit I can get the full aps kit with k member and lg turbos with the tisk 38 wgs and turbosmart kompact bovs for 7500 or spend 9k and get the cbr kit with a2a ic since I'm on e85 just not sure Wut to do
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

i dont know much about cbr because i still didnt saw it in action but i looked @ it in their website and i can see the huge amount of thinking and palining for this kit but i cant said anything about it untill we see some cars with their kits and describe for as what is good and what is bad...

for me : i am using the ext aps turbo and looking to lg upgrades if somthing bad happend for my turbos but i must say this: the aps kit is very very well made and has a very good fittment and you will notice that even the small things with their kit will go smoothly and nicely.

hope you select the best option for you.
http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/...713_204333.mp4
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
I'm torn between the cbr kit and this kit

I was in the same boat as you. After researching it for months I found the CBR/Modular Turbo kit is hands down a far better kit. Especially with the A2W intercooler. The turbos you can use are not specialty units and you pick the size. There is no over heating since the radiator air ducting is unmolested nor are the fans. Look at my build thread if you missed it. Search 378LSx twin turbo. I have more pics and would be glad to talk about it. And I am not affiliated with them.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I was in the same boat as you. After researching it for months I found the CBR/Modular Turbo kit is hands down a far better kit. Especially with the A2W intercooler. The turbos you can use are not specialty units and you pick the size. There is no over heating since the radiator air ducting is unmolested nor are the fans. Look at my build thread if you missed it. Search 378LSx twin turbo. I have more pics and would be glad to talk about it. And I am not affiliated with them.

I have the lg turbos which will do more than well for me and I dnt really need a2w with the e85 but it would be a plus i guess.... I'll check out Ur build though how much is the kit with a a2a ic? And will the larger a2a block the tad and cause overheating since its much larger than the a2w
Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never messed with the A2A on one of these cars. I asked Rob at modular turbo about going A2A instead of using the A2W system that comes with it and he quickly talked me out of it and I'm glad I did. My biggest concern with the A2A is cutting the nose for it. I just couldn't swallow the idea.

Quick Reply: what other upgrades should be made to aps tt kit?