Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

budget 5.3, looking for 800 RWHP. What budget turbo to get there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default budget 5.3, looking for 800 RWHP. What budget turbo to get there?

Researching doing a 5.3 budget build. (Which is easy, as there are a TON that have been done).

My goal is to achieve 800=RWHP on it with a turbo setup on pump gas, meth injection, and an intercooler.

What turbo setup would achieve this for the best price. I am looking at quality first here. If it takes a bit of cash to get to a good turbo setup, I will just save longer for it. But if there is a reliable way to get there given the criterea for cheap, I would like to explore my options.

I was originally thinking of going with a twin setup to acheive the 800+RWHP, but some of the twin kits I have seen are very pricey compared to perhaps a larger single setup.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it with an S475, that's a budget turbo. A ton of people are using the more expensive precision 7675 with great results on the smaller motors.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont have any personal experience on a 5.3 except for the one Im using now. Precision 7675 CEA (billet wheel) .96AR. Its a great little unit. Easy to package, makes great power, spools very quick. Made 717 on 17lbs through an unlocked 4L80E and Ls1 intake. Ive had it to 23lbs so Id guess its somewhere in the 800rwhp range. Has run very high 9's in a 3500lb car with suspension geared towards handling not the drags.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

So after looking a little more online, here is the break down in price between the two;

S475 - $899 (http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=21901)

Precision 7675 - $1439 (http://www.solidtechperformance.com/...products_id=51)

So a rough difference in price of $560 between the two units (even though this is a budget build, in the big grand scheme, $560 is not that much of a difference price wise).

My next few questions are;

1). What is the difference in performance and longevity between the S475 and the PT7675?

2). Are there any other turbo setups out there that will allow for 800+ RWHP with a budget 5.3 build with pump gas and meth injection?

3). LS1NOVA mentioned that (with his setup) 23#'s would probably yeild 8XX RWHP. Now granted I am an M6 and power won't be robbed so much through my transmission, but to push 23 pounds of boost, will meth injection, a large FMIC, and pump gas be enough to keep it away from detonation at that larger range of boost?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Check forced inductions. $699 for some of their S475s
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I know the Borg Warner is a good unit. For budget I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I have friends with similar Warner units makeing big power on there diesels and haven't had any problems with longevity hard miles also. On the other part I won't say cuz I have a lack of experience with boosting a 5.3 lol.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info on the Borg Warner S475. Good to know even though its cheep, its a good unit.

I do have an additional question, although I feel that this will start turning this thread into what should have been called "Help me with my 5.3 turbo build". My question is; I currently have TSP stage 2.5 5.3L heads on my combo. What heads should I use for this build for peak performance? Will my 5.3L heads do? Or should I go with something else?

Also, still wondering on the questions to my last post.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Borgs are very reliable turbos used on many OEM applications. I am using a S480 personally, but I went a little bigger as I plan to spin the engine up pretty high.

Depends on the fuel and the 5.3 block. I have a L33 short block which has the flat top pistons in it. I chose to go with the 317 heads to drop compression a tad and flow better than the other 5.3 heads I had laying around (not the L33 heads). Me personally, I choose to have compression at 9.5 or under for a turbo build. I know a lot of others run much higher, but unless I am running E85 24/7 which does not always happen (stations around here run out sometimes) I like the ability to drop in some regular old 93 octane and be able to go with it.

Do you know what compression those heads yield? Are they milled any?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question if I may pop in. Is a 1.32 A/R too large for a 5.3?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
I have a question if I may pop in. Is a 1.32 A/R too large for a 5.3?
Nope. Run a auto with a good stall and it will light off just fine. may be a bit laggy if your manual though.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sarg
Borgs are very reliable turbos used on many OEM applications. I am using a S480 personally, but I went a little bigger as I plan to spin the engine up pretty high.

Depends on the fuel and the 5.3 block. I have a L33 short block which has the flat top pistons in it. I chose to go with the 317 heads to drop compression a tad and flow better than the other 5.3 heads I had laying around (not the L33 heads). Me personally, I choose to have compression at 9.5 or under for a turbo build. I know a lot of others run much higher, but unless I am running E85 24/7 which does not always happen (stations around here run out sometimes) I like the ability to drop in some regular old 93 octane and be able to go with it.

Do you know what compression those heads yield? Are they milled any?
These are the exact heads I have. They have not been milled, or modified in any way from how they arrived to me from TSP> http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1172-pr...ted-heads.aspx

My goal of 800+ RWHP on the meth injection, FMIC, and pump gas will mandate that I run the much higher psi on the tubo, which in turn will mandate that unless I run race gas, I will have to have a lower CR. Now, I am not sure what my current 5.3L heads will do for the CR when I make the swap over to the 5.3L engine. What my plan was to see if my heads with that turbo would yeild the results I am looking for. If so, it would help cut the cost of buying another aftermarket set of heads, and having port work done. If I need to do that to achieve the goal, so be it. My heads have low miles, and I know I could sell them if I can't use them. Whatever the heads are in the end, I would choose pistons accordingly to adjust the CR to where I want it.

I would need to do more research, but ideally, I would choose a CR that would put me on the safe side with running that high boost with pump gas. Not sure if 9.5:1 would do it, or if something lower like 9:1 or even 8.8:1 would be necissary.

I do NOT want to run expensive race gas, or run E85.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have been safe at over 10:1 on pump gas

it can be done :wink:
Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Subbed, I'm planning a similar build only more on the budget side. My goal is 750 rwhp on ~18psi through a 6 speed and 9" rear running on pump gas with methanol and I plan on turning up the boost to ~23 and seeing what it does. E85 isn't an option for me right now, the closest station is 35 miles away and out of the way (the oppsite direction that I normally travel).

Here's my plan as of now, nothing is set in stone or even ordered yet, but I will be gathering paarts soon
JY 4.8 or 5.3 with ARP head studs (or eBay studs) and LS9 gaskets
Speed Inc cam and matched valve springs
80# injectors
Undecided between intakes, considering an LS6 or Edelbrock intake
AEM boost controller or something similar
MS1 and MSD 6LS box for fuel and timing

Then I will be building the hotside with truck mainfolds with 2.5" piping and using an eBay GT45 turbo or a Borg S475 with a 4" downpipe through the bumper cover with a Vortex exhaust insert if its too loud
eBay intercooler & piping
Undecided on Wastegate & BOV at this point, probably will use eBay stuff and upgrade it later if its needed

Should be possible and probably cheaper than the 355 that I have in my car right now and make 2X the power
Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
Many people have been safe at over 10:1 on pump gas

it can be done :wink:
Are you saying many people who safely see 25-30 pounds of boost on pump gas have used 10:1 CR or higher? Or are you just saying I could go boosted safely with that CR?

My Z28 in my sig sits at 8.8:1 CR and am only running 14 ish pounds of boost. This, although a bit overkill, I knew was plenty safe for pump gas. I don't neccisarily want to go overkill with the low CR, but if I am going to push the turbo to 25-30 psi on pump gas, I do want to be sure I am safe.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Subbed, I'm planning a similar build only more on the budget side. My goal is 750 rwhp on ~18psi through a 6 speed and 9" rear running on pump gas with methanol and I plan on turning up the boost to ~23 and seeing what it does. E85 isn't an option for me right now, the closest station is 35 miles away and out of the way (the oppsite direction that I normally travel).

Here's my plan as of now, nothing is set in stone or even ordered yet, but I will be gathering paarts soon
JY 4.8 or 5.3 with ARP head studs (or eBay studs) and LS9 gaskets
Speed Inc cam and matched valve springs
80# injectors
Undecided between intakes, considering an LS6 or Edelbrock intake
AEM boost controller or something similar
MS1 and MSD 6LS box for fuel and timing

Then I will be building the hotside with truck mainfolds with 2.5" piping and using an eBay GT45 turbo or a Borg S475 with a 4" downpipe through the bumper cover with a Vortex exhaust insert if its too loud
eBay intercooler & piping
Undecided on Wastegate & BOV at this point, probably will use eBay stuff and upgrade it later if its needed

Should be possible and probably cheaper than the 355 that I have in my car right now and make 2X the power
I wouldnt run an ebay gate unless it is confirmed to be a name brand, if it screws up it could cost you your motor pay the extra 100 for a good one and have piece of mind.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
I wouldnt run an ebay gate unless it is confirmed to be a name brand, if it screws up it could cost you your motor pay the extra 100 for a good one and have piece of mind.
If I may ask, how many eBay gates have you seen with your own eyes fail? And when they did, what happened?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

S475 no doubt! Cheap, reliable, and can get the job done! I'm not saying tis the best turbo around but for someone on a budget it's a no brainer. I'm running a s475 on my lt1, box stock lt1 intake, ported stock heads pump gas eBay a2a intercooler log manifolds thru th400 and 28" slicks made 670 at the wheels @14psi in 100+ degree heat.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Alright fellas, I don't mind if other questions are asked and answered in my thread, just so long as someone can answer mine as well.

Starting to wonder if I will be safe running in the 25-30 psi range boost wise just on pump gas and meth injection. What CR would yield this done safely? Boosted Firehawk made mention it can be done safely with CR as high as 10:1, but did not specify it would keep it safe at that boost level. Does anyone have any info on this? I've seen guys running the setup I am contemplating, but at 15#'s of boost or less on a consistent basis. What I would be doing is running 25-30#'s on a consistent basis. That's got to yield higher IAT's, and want to be sure its going to handle it safely.

Anyone??
Old 10-13-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think you will be able to run that much, but don't think you will need it to hit 800 either
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dilsnick
If I may ask, how many eBay gates have you seen with your own eyes fail? And when they did, what happened?
Never seen one just heard stories, The wastegate is a pretty important piece of the puzzle though. I am all about doing it on the cheap. That said there are certain things I wont cheap out on. Its your ride do what makes you happy.

Whatever you do though don't use the ebay -4 turbo supply lines I had one rupture and a second one colapse (weird huh) which cost me my first turbo.

You cant go wrong with the GT45 plenty on here have proven its worth.

And good luck with your build.

Quick Reply: budget 5.3, looking for 800 RWHP. What budget turbo to get there?