Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pros & Cons-- Catchcan setups vs Breather setups & Proper Ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pros & Cons-- Catchcan setups vs Breather setups & Proper Ventilation

I have been reading over PCV threads ever since I joined this site. It seems it can be done with research and careful attention to what is going where.

Automagicls1 posted something neat the other day, and also I have read where other people have opted to do this, but I am curious if there are drawbacks to running two passenger side valvecovers and running a breather with a checkvalve in it (Rx makes these)

Also it was suggested that it would be even better to weld in two -10an fittings and just run the lines to a puke tank.

Just wondering if this would have any long term effects on motor I want to take care of any way I can.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 02-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pretty interested in this too, as long as there was enough baffling in the breathers I dont see why it wouldent work, I have a friend of mine who runs an 8-71 on a small block at near 20 psi with 2 valve cover breathers that are tall and baffled and he has no issues.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you posted this as I was thinking about trying this last night. Do you know if you can get the coil pack brackets to work on the drivers side?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just run open breathers on the valve covers, you WILL get an oily mist all over the valve covers/coils etc etc over time.. Especially if you are pushing a lot of boost.

Run two -10s to a vented catch can, have the catch can mounted in an unnoticeable area so if it gets dirty it doesn't look bad..also so you want be alarmed if you see smoke (steam) coming out of it..

I have my catch can mounted right by the rear end under the car, that way it vents under the car..easy access to drain it and the vent steam is not as noticeable.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My setup:
Name:  0220DC32-6B10-419D-BE53-1E832D05FEEF-10156-00001D8B9AAB8AC4.jpg
Views: 2921
Size:  289.7 KB

-10s from valve covers(with baffles) hard tubed to the rear of the car.

No vacuum or PCV.. I change the oil every 2k miles and its always clean as can be...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default My $0.02...

That's very similar to MY (LT1/4) setup - Two pass side valve covers - so I have a dedicated oil return location for STS.

Additionally, I use a pair of K&N filtered breather covers (one on each side) -vs- using a complex PCV 'system'. I don't get any oil vapor on the engine, but I have internal baffles and I'm only running about 12 lbs of boost.

Originally Posted by lmt0705
im pretty interested in this too, as long as there was enough baffling in the breathers I dont see why it wouldent work, I have a friend of mine who runs an 8-71 on a small block at near 20 psi with 2 valve cover breathers that are tall and baffled and he has no issues.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

great421, if you can post pics, that would be awesome.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I just vent all my breathers into a large catch tank with vent. Cant say any bad about it, other than I seem to get lots of condensation/may inside it.

Whether this is due to the cold weather here and remote tank location which will also be very cool...I dont know. Due to my tank size, mounting close to the engine isnt an option.
Whether with a factory stat or cooler stat in the engine, seems to make no difference to the condensation

I vent both valve covers and valley cover into this can.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ajrothm
If you just run open breathers on the valve covers, you WILL get an oily mist all over the valve covers/coils etc etc over time.. Especially if you are pushing a lot of boost.

Run two -10s to a vented catch can, have the catch can mounted in an unnoticeable area so if it gets dirty it doesn't look bad..also so you want be alarmed if you see smoke (steam) coming out of it..

I have my catch can mounted right by the rear end under the car, that way it vents under the car..easy access to drain it and the vent steam is not as noticeable.
which vented catch can are you using?
Im officially done with the dual catch cans, check valve.. took intake off, there is still oil ending up in it.

Also, I run LS6, so only one valve cover has a port, is this sufficient?
(valley cover and passenger valve cover port) to vented can?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
which vented catch can are you using?
Im officially done with the dual catch cans, check valve.. took intake off, there is still oil ending up in it.

Also, I run LS6, so only one valve cover has a port, is this sufficient?
(valley cover and passenger valve cover port) to vented can?
I run this can:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...52202/10002/-1

I run -10 hose off of each valve cover for about a foot, then it goes to two 1/2" aluminum hard lines running to the rear of the car. Right before the catch can they go back to -10 hose and 90*s at the catch can.

I have my LS6 valley cover vent plugged. I only vent the valve covers. I have had no issues what so ever... I rarely ever get anything in the can other then a little condensate... I definitely get some good ventilation from the breather on the can, even at idle I can see it huffing..
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah. I think I will start from scratch and just go this route soon. Selling my Monster Rx can should pay for the whole thing.

Those VC are sexy man. mind telling me where you got them?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Subbed.

Good info ajrothm. That is ther way I have been thinking about doing my PCV set up this time around. Buying a bigger catch can, shaving all the tubes off of my valve cover and welding in 2 -10 fittings and running them to the vented catch can.

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
Yeah. I think I will start from scratch and just go this route soon. Selling my Monster Rx can should pay for the whole thing.

I just read in another thread that Mightymouse (a member on here) makes vented catch cans and they look to be pretty nice. They even have a level indicator on the side of it. It's something I am definately going to look into.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

I am a big fan of catchcan going to each valve cover
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

You have seen mine.
-12 fitting into vented catch can.

Name:  2012-07-29205113.jpg
Views: 2847
Size:  125.7 KB
Name:  2012-08-10115647.jpg
Views: 6252
Size:  226.3 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD

Thanks.
The valve covers are from Katech. We had Dallas Performance weld the -10 males on them as well as internal baffles. Then we had them powered coated, then wet sanded/buffed them (a couple times)...

I definitely would NOT connect any type of vacuum or recirc back to the intake/blower. With a lot of boost, it CAN push oil into the intake track... All depends on how good your ring seal is. I really dont ever get anything in my catch can other then some condensate, but there is a decent amount of "vent" coming from the breather at idle, no doubt under boost its pushing some serious air/gases out.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
Subbed.

Good info ajrothm. That is ther way I have been thinking about doing my PCV set up this time around. Buying a bigger catch can, shaving all the tubes off of my valve cover and welding in 2 -10 fittings and running them to the vented catch
Is this technically a PCV set up or just venting out gasses?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

These types of systems are the PCV system. You delete the stock system and run a new system like is being discussed in the thread.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I just vent all my breathers into a large catch tank with vent. Cant say any bad about it, other than I seem to get lots of condensation/may inside it.

Whether this is due to the cold weather here and remote tank location which will also be very cool...I dont know. Due to my tank size, mounting close to the engine isnt an option.
Whether with a factory stat or cooler stat in the engine, seems to make no difference to the condensation

I vent both valve covers and valley cover into this can.
what can you using? any pics?

don't you need a fresh air source or is the vented can it?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you already know my opinion.....btw heres 450-500 miles on the corn with a #10 off each cover to my puke tank. no way in hell i'd run one of those PCV setups. scary because a couple years ago I never really had a good crankcase ventilation setup and to know how much moisture was in my crankcase then. I never get any oil in my tank though which is a good thing!

Name:  2013-01-30145342Small_zps335c1ef5.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I built my PCV/catch can system. I did a -10 line from each valve cover, 1 per catch can. The cans are baffled and have drains in the bottom. Instead of having a breather on each can (which is why the bung is so tall where the fitting screws in on top) I scrapped that idea and the top hoses go to each turbo inlet duct. The result is no big puff of smoke at the end of a dyno pull.
And they were out of black hose when I ordered the stuff and like everyone else I was ready then to get it done so I took what I could get (blue=yuck). This pic is a little old I rerouted the hoses a little and it looks better. Still kinda busy looking but better.

Name:  enginecompartment_zps18c829c3.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  78.1 KB

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons-- Catchcan setups vs Breather setups & Proper Ventilation