Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!

Alright well I fixed the over heating issue on my car an I wasn't able to drive my car with my new turbo so I went around the block for a few minutes and I come back blowing white smoke and oil out my exhaust like a mad diesel truck.

The turbo was brand new out the box from ON3 performance 76mm .80/.96 AR, and it looks like it blew the seals in less than 200 feet. I've heard in less than 250 miles but 10 minutes of driving shifting @ 3500 with 5PSI is rediculous.

I'm sorry but to anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo save your money and get the good stuff, I'm taking it off tomorrow and will show a break down of it
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may also have to much oil pressure going to the turbo. I have seen this on a friends car before.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

ive really been looking at buying that setup...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didn't have this problem with my old turbo that was smaller and was a no-name garrett design, looks like i'm just going to swap out turbos again.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how's the quality on those ON3's, but your turbo oil drain system might not just be set-up effecient enough. You don't just blow a turbo seal that easily. Normally, it's either you have too much shaft play that it would damage the seal or you might have too much oil pressure and volume that the drain simply could'nt keep-up. But then again, I don't know how you have your drain set-up.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the pressure line tapped in the top of the oil pan with the adapter plate from Hawks Third Gen to the turbo and the return line to the STS scavenge pump and then back to the top of the valve cover oil cap.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya need a oil restrictor with them
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, post up specs on your build and some pics of the drain and supply line
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got too impatient and ripped the turbo off in minutes, i wish would've saw your reply earlier and i would've snapped a few shots of it. i'm tearing the turbo apart as i type, but yes i do have a oil restrictor to the turbo, i'll snap a few after the walking dead is over.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love when someone gets on here and posts **** like this without even trying to find out the cause. You made no effort to even see if it is really a blown seal. You just tried to **** over ON3 and ripped the **** apart immediately.

For the rest of the people who might want an ON3 as was stated you have to have an oil feed and drain system set up that is efficient. When I first put turbo's on it did exactly what the OP is stating. However, I put in a different restrictor and the smoke was gone and my ON3 twin 70's have been pushing 25lbs of boost for 7 months and about 8,000 miles of driving without a single issue.

Your oil feed/drain system is NOT set up correctly. You should have posted some pictures, asked some questions, etc... before you ripped them apart. My .02.

I love my ON3's and they lasted a whole lot longer than my EXPENSIVE PRESICION TURBO's.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just ripped apart my turbo and found the seal blown, dont open your mouth before you dont read the whole story, maybe you didn't read the part were i was tearing down the turbo to find the problem. if so let me qoute it for you in big cap locked letters so you can read. and once i took it apart there were gashes and grind marks all over the place.

dont get mad at me because i'm calling them out on there low quality parts if they want a good name then i suggest they make each and every turbo to the standard and not half *** piece one together with defective parts

i'll post up pics in a few so you can keep your mouth shut and learn to speak when you have the correct information.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
i just ripped apart my turbo and found the seal blown, dont open your mouth before you dont read the whole story, maybe you didn't read the part were i was tearing down the turbo to find the problem. if so let me qoute it for you in big cap locked letters so you can read. and once i took it apart there were gashes and grind marks all over the place.

dont get mad at me because i'm calling them out on there low quality parts if they want a good name then i suggest they make each and every turbo to the standard and not half *** piece one together with defective parts

i'll post up pics in a few so you can keep your mouth shut and learn to speak when you have the correct information.
Post the pics tweedle dee. A lot of times its the way the oil drain is setup, but it can also be a bad part. I don't on an on3 turbo, I have a Garrett, so I could car less if you are anyone talks **** about them, but would like to see pictures of the damage and pictures of the setup.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

For one you immediately called blown seal but failed to read where I said your oil/feed system has to be efficient **** face.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wicked69
For one you immediately called blown seal but failed to read where I said your oil/feed system has to be efficient **** face.
haha
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

LOL, i have an on3 turbo, and im pushing 700rwhp with it, my turbo works fine. It was blowing smoke at first, but i slapped on a restrictor and modified my return line, and problem solved. I think you just had bad luck, as EVERY turbo can have an issue at any given time.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nick mine did the same thing. That's what I am saying. He didn't even make an attempt to see if he could fix the issue first. Fact is a $324 shipped to your door that is a chance that some are going to take.

He will probably chime in after he gets done watching zombies are whatever it is. lol I am done with your thread. Good luck with your next turbo but if I was you (which I am glad I am not an idiot) I would definitely go through your oil feed/drain system.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll post more pics of the feed and return setup when there is light out

Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my turbo didnt have any issues. -4an line no restrictor. chad says they run -3an non restricted for their journal turbos and they restrict the ball bearings. mine was with a scavenge pump also.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Mine only had oil issues due to insufficient size lines going to my scavange pump.it ran pretty well for 4k miles. Plus
For the price you really cant expect alot, but most of them seem to work well.id like to see what on3 says,they may take care of you on it since there a site sponsor.if not pick a borg s475.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

You are crying about quality on a 300 dollar turbo?

you have to understand, you are getting what you pay for, some people have fantastic luck, some dont. Its a gamble imo. Not knocking On3 here, but you have to understand, that a 300 dollar turbo is not going to be some top notch quality. The simple fact that he does not warranty them is why i choose not to use them.

Believe me, i considered it for a long while, even spoke to them a few times. I just choose to go with something ive used before that i knew was great.

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!